OT.....LAST CHANCE U premieres July 28 on Netflix

Advertisement
Advertisement
Just finished watching it - Just as good as prior seasons. You'll get a great history lesson about Oakland. This season has a little more diversity in the selected back-stories of hardship backgrounds, and these are more home grown kids than the farm league Jucos of previous seasons.

They follow a Corner whose family is legacy at Oregon, and WR living in his car, a white posession reciever who comes from a bizaar family of writers, and a beast of a Polynisan OL with a wife and kids. The coach is kind of refreshing after some of those coaches from previous seasons. This has a definite Cali-air to it. But won't say anymore. Its worth the watch.

You don't have the same kind of stupid knuckleheads(I still wonder how the F could Ollie be that incredibly dumb) that you had in previous seasons, and the coach actually knows WTF he is doing. Watching the Indy seasons, it was obvious that the teams won despite the coaches. This season, you can see that this staff is on the ball. It's a shame that they won't do JUCO football after this season.

Advertisement
You don't have the same kind of stupid knuckleheads(I still wonder how the F could Ollie be that incredibly dumb) that you had in previous seasons, and the coach actually knows WTF he is doing.

That’s what I’ve noticed the most through 3 episodes last night...no prima donnas, no dumb spoiled kids acting the fool. Bunch of hard-working dudes who seem to have their heads on straight, despite some rough life situations. And a good coach who’s a good dude and makes it his mission to help the kids.

Totally different feel from previous seasons; less drama all around, which is both good and bad for a series.

y'all need to realize that INDY - especially in Season 4 gave the show really really bad press. Kind of got away from what they were trying to do with this show.

y'all need to realize that INDY - especially in Season 4 gave the show really really bad press. Kind of got away from what they were trying to do with this show.
Agreed - the players and their stories were supposed to be the centerpiece. Coach Brown was such a dominating figure he basically took over the show. Season 4 I sat there like "I really don't want to stare at this psycho anymore while he sits half naked, in his home, smoking a cigar and reads fan mail from women on the internet". I'm glad they went back to their roots - this season has been good for the soul.

Advertisement
I’m from the Bay Area. Richmond, Ca(coach carter movie)to be exact. Juco ball in California is so different because most players who come from out of state are really in the struggle. Scholarships, meal plans and dorms aren’t offered, that’s why you see players like Hollywood Brown working minimum wage jobs to make it.

Laney is ran by legendary coach Beam. I was born in 96 but from what all the OGs say he ran OAL(Oakland Athletic League) went to Laney and was dominant there. While Laney doesn’t have the big name players like city college or send players to as big of schools. He’s a great coach and their players are dogs. I’m excited to see it. I believe this past year they has a bit of a down year compared to the year before when they won a ship in California

Spoiler alert.....

Advertisement
That RJ kid is a dweeb and runs his mouth but not directly at coaches. No balls. What a little *****. Coach was too nice to him.

Looking forward to this, especially since my football itch needs to be scratched in a bad way. But also because prior seasons have been well done, edited, and entertaining, including the past typical lineups of interesting (and often infuriating) characters and misfit coaches.

Oakland's Laney College is the subject school this season.

I’m not very familiar with this school and was wondering if any of you have any familiarity with it, or anecdotes you’d like to share.

I played at Laney College in 81'. Coach Beam has a dynasty going. Coach Uchiumi was HC for a couple years after Coach "Pete". Stan Peters retired after 30+ years. Art Kehoe played a Laney a couple years before I did. Good school, good experience!

RJ Stern's life is madness...most of these kids in this season have some wild upbringings and through five seasons, we've seen some real horror stories, but his family takes the cake. Grandmother a pretty famous fantasy writer and pretty wealthy as a result, but a bunch of hippies that ultimately think pedophilia is ok...mother raped by her parents in this literal house of horrors and is an absolute melt down mess and her son - who is nothing like anyone in the family - lives in that house of horrors with some pedophilia sympathizers. My lord.

He's got a heightened perception of his talent...he's a nice athlete and a decent player...but doesn't understand that the reason Beam rides him is because he doesn't actually run routes correctly and as a result is rarely actually open. Thinks he is a FBS level player, but he's like 22 years old in this season and is like a WR2 on a very mediocre JUCO team. He ends up at Tusculum. Can't say I haven't met many RJ Stern type high school athletes in my day. Not a bad kid by any means, but you just wish had some self-awareness.

I like Dior and hope he finds success in something. His dad is a real piece of work.

Advertisement
Back