OT (Kind of): Basketball Team Help

They should find the money to spend big and just try for one and done central. What a location to spend one year before you head off to the NBA. That's going to take a big name and Rick Pitino as mentioned above would be an absolute BOSS move.

People don't like to hear it, but we're far better suited to be a basketball power than a football power.

If Miami hired Pitino and focused on being a "one and done" and the opportunity to make legal $$$ in college through NIL, I guarantee Miami would win a NC within the next 4 years.

Advertisement
They should find the money to spend big and just try for one and done central. What a location to spend one year before you head off to the NBA. That's going to take a big name and Rick Pitino as mentioned above would be an absolute BOSS move.

People don't like to hear it, but we're far better suited to be a basketball power than a football power.
HUH?.

Dude were in the most fertile recruiting grounds for college football. We aint far better suited for sh*t in basketball.

Most locals in Miami to Palm Beach have NEVER even watched a Um basketball game. Im not talking in person...im talking on tv.
There is no promotiopn of the TEAM..nothing..and its been like that my whole life. Im a die hard everything Miami and growing up Im a semi um basketball fan and at times more a fan of Villanova basketball of all things...sh*t Georgetown as well as we watched BIG EAST bball growing up here.

They really need a big name coach like Pitino or something and just play the game. Because there is a CHANCE. We have put a guy or 2 in the nba every year or other year. Like ppl said some BIG NAME 1 and Dones might be interested in coming to live the life for 2 semesters.

Coach L needs to bow out.

The recruiting area is it for football. Beyond that, it takes serious dollars that we don't have to compete with the big state schools with deep pockets. Sure, we may get the right coach every so often, but then theyll get poached by another school or the NFL. We could make a run here and there, but as for sustainability, I just don't see it in the long run.

Basketball down south is better than what it was in years past. You've got some basketball factory schools down there that weren't there a decade ago. The amount of money you would have to dump into basketball versus football sustainability is far less. You build it up, it's easier to get buts in seats than filling up Fins place.

No doubt you still have to recruit nationwide and find the right coach. Staff wise, you'd be saving money in comparison to football. Yes, the blue bloods would be out spending you, but a small schools can spend wisely and have a **** good program.

Hope that makes sense Go. I hear you, but I firmly believe investing in basketball would be far more cost efficient and attainable for long term success than football. I know that's almost sacrilegious to say here at Miami, but modern college football is far different from when we were balling. The gap between the haves and have nots is far wider.

The recruiting area is it for football. Beyond that, it takes serious dollars that we don't have to compete with the big state schools with deep pockets. Sure, we may get the right coach every so often, but then theyll get poached by another school or the NFL. We could make a run here and there, but as for sustainability, I just don't see it in the long run.

Basketball down south is better than what it was in years past. You've got some basketball factory schools down there that weren't there a decade ago. The amount of money you would have to dump into basketball versus football sustainability is far less. You build it up, it's easier to get buts in seats than filling up Fins place.

No doubt you still have to recruit nationwide and find the right coach. Staff wise, you'd be saving money in comparison to football. Yes, the blue bloods would be out spending you, but a small schools can spend wisely and have a **** good program.

Hope that makes sense Go. I hear you, but I firmly believe investing in basketball would be far more cost efficient and attainable for long term success than football. I know that's almost sacrilegious to say here at Miami, but modern college football is far different from when we were balling. The gap between the haves and have nots is far wider.
I dont believe it.

Its just not that feasible in our state. Especially considering we have two legit programs with deep pockets in state.

Football is NEVER ENDING in South Florida. The base is already here and here to stay. Needing money alone isnt the end all with being a power house in football, you have to be able to have TALENT/RECRUIT. I mean sh*t we legitimately had a dynasty in that 2000-2004 era so its shown is easily done..add to that the other 2 STATE programs in state has won championships...and a small school in state won a fake national championship (ucf). FOOTBALL is easier.

NO one locally cares about UM basketball..they're all MIAMI HEAT DIEHARDS. When we had great runs with coach L the buzz wasnt even large. This isnt a colllege basketball area at all.

But a good coach can have us as Tournament contenders year in year out and hopefully that can create community involvement/buzz. I mean for sh*ts sake..we have a Basketball board and this post had to come on here and beg for help. No one cares.

Advertisement
Go back in time 8 years ago. It was coach L’s second season at Miami. We had an incredible program breaking type of season, winning the ACC and earning a #2 seed in the tourney. After that, I thought L had the chance to build us into a powerhouse. Then we took a step back before building another great squad in 15-16 that got to the sweet 16.

17-18 is when I started to really see cracks in the foundation. L had assembled arguably his most talented roster, yet we **** the bed in the tourney and lost to loyala Chicago in the first round. We haven’t been the same since. There’s been one miserable circumstance after another (FBI investigation, a multitude of injuries), but the excuses only can go so far. This team is not just uncompetitive, there’s little to no sign that things will improve next year and beyond. It’s time for L to retire and for both parties to move on.

Go back in time 8 years ago. It was coach L’s second season at Miami. We had an incredible program breaking type of season, winning the ACC and earning a #2 seed in the tourney. After that, I thought L had the chance to build us into a powerhouse. Then we took a step back before building another great squad in 15-16 that got to the sweet 16.

17-18 is when I started to really see cracks in the foundation. L had assembled arguably his most talented roster, yet we **** the bed in the tourney and lost to loyala Chicago in the first round. We haven’t been the same since. There’s been one miserable circumstance after another (FBI investigation, a multitude of injuries), but the excuses only can go so far. This team is not just uncompetitive, there’s little to no sign that things will improve next year and beyond. It’s time for L to retire and for both parties to move on.
I’ll go on record and say his best coaching job was the 14-15 season. The matchup zone we played was lethal given the talent level we were working with. Last time he over achieved here. Hero ball angel saved L’s *** more times than once in 15-16.

Last edited:
I dont believe it.

Its just not that feasible in our state. Especially considering we have two legit programs with deep pockets in state.

Football is NEVER ENDING in South Florida. The base is already here and here to stay. Needing money alone isnt the end all with being a power house in football, you have to be able to have TALENT/RECRUIT. I mean sh*t we legitimately had a dynasty in that 2000-2004 era so its shown is easily done..add to that the other 2 STATE programs in state has won championships...and a small school in state won a fake national championship (ucf). FOOTBALL is easier.

NO one locally cares about UM basketball..they're all MIAMI HEAT DIEHARDS. When we had great runs with coach L the buzz wasnt even large. This isnt a colllege basketball area at all.

But a good coach can have us as Tournament contenders year in year out and hopefully that can create community involvement/buzz. I mean for sh*ts sake..we have a Basketball board and this post had to come on here and beg for help. No one cares.

We aren't that far apart in agreeing.

We have two programs in state with far more resources at their disposal than we do. They have both won NC's since we last won one. Our last was 20 years ago and the game has changed. ****, even when we won it took literally the most talented team ever to pull it off. What's the odds of that happening again? We've been mired in mediocrity while sitting smack dab in the middle of a ton of talent. It hasn't gotten is anywhere, we can't seem to get out of our own way.

Since then, schools are dumping money we could only dream of into their programs. Money isn't everything, but its money well spent when it produces results. We will never compete on that level and will have to luck out by finding the right coach (who will get poached when he makes noise here) and hope to recruit our asses off. We haven't found the guy with that kind of juice in decades unless Manny grows into that guy.

The cost to staff a constant winner like old is high. We won't ever get to that level. You can on the basketball court though, far easier. Much smaller staff, support staff, etc.

If you build it, they will come. A good basketball team is a flash in the pan here followed by years of futility. You start beating teams on a consistent basis with a known coach like Pitino who can pull elite talent from anywhere, that'll build up the fan base quick.

It can be done and done cheaper than football. Right now basketball is an afterthought, but that can change. It will just take someone with the donor power to make it happen. Football put us on the map, we didn't have crowds prior to taking over, same could happen with basketball. Miami is a city thay loves winners and will show up if the product is worth seeing.

Which is y I wanted to drop Adidas immediately.
Drop Adidas? To go where, Nike? They're worse. It seems every year Nike is caught in some sort of scandal with schools, athletes or coaches. Problem isn't Adidas. If anything, Adidas helped us get some of the top players we've been able to land the past few years. If it weren't for them we'd probably be in this rut 5 years ago.

Advertisement
We really are set up well to be a basketball power. We just need to find someone with vision and the ability to create a program that understands how to attract top talent. With the NIL stuff, hoops should be a on a rocket ship. Miami has become a huge basketball town. Instead it feels like we are a doormat
Agreed. Just about every single NBA player spends some time in Miami. It's the place to be for a lot of these guys, Seems like many of the top programs in college basketball can recruit and land 1 & done guys, but for some reason the only ACC team in paradise can't. I'm sure if all things were equal on the basketball side, many of these 1 & done guys would much rather spend their 2 semesters of college life on South Beach rather than some small town, in the middle of the country freezing their asses off.

Drop Adidas? To go where, Nike? They're worse. It seems every year Nike is caught in some sort of scandal with schools, athletes or coaches. Problem isn't Adidas. If anything, Adidas helped us get some of the top players we've been able to land the past few years. If it weren't for them we'd probably be in this rut 5 years ago.

Did we get in trouble w Nike or Adidas?
Did KU get in trouble w Nike or Adidas?
Did UL get in trouble w/ Adidas or nah?
Did NCSt get in trouble w Adidas or nah?

Don’t get Michael Avenatti confused w/ Nike being worst. Dude tried to extort millions by making undocumented & unsubstantiated claims which he was found guilty of. U can say Avenatti was to Nike as Shapiro was to us.

Adidas has been doing this for yrs b/c they are little brother. That’s cool; do u...but for u to say they “helped us” get players, when we got caught up in a fed case is bizarre af, and if anything, has handcuffed Coach L b/c he was legit shook. He ain’t never had to deal w that type of chit before.

Last edited:
Technically, I don't think we got in trouble with neither. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Miami was cleared of any wrong doing from the Adidas investigation.

We were investigated by the feds, our names redacted from Probe, and Coach L stating that casted a dark cloud on the program. So yeah, we were “cleared.”

Advertisement
We were investigated by the feds, our names redacted from Probe, and Coach L stating that casted a dark cloud on the program. So yeah, we were “cleared.”

No doubt the investigation took it's toll on most of the programs associated in the scandal, but funny how the school that was cleared is still filling the ramifications from it. We gotta stop using this as an excuse. Louisville, Kansas and even NC State are sitting a lot prettier than our program is now.

Bottom line is that all shoe companies do dirt. At all levels. In many sports. I hope you're not under the impression that Adidas are the only ones doing it.

No doubt the investigation took it's toll on most of the programs associated in the scandal, but funny how the school that was cleared is still filling the ramifications from it. We gotta stop using this as an excuse. Louisville, Kansas and even NC State are sitting a lot prettier than our program is now.

Bottom line is that all shoe companies do dirt. At all levels. In many sports. I hope you're not under the impression that Adidas are the only ones doing it.

We’ve never had interactions, so good to meet u fam. I’m very connected in this industry on both ends as I have ppl who currently work for both companies (well, my homegirl is leaving to do her own thing from Adidas so I won’t have that connect in like 2 more weeks).

With that being said, I know shoe companies have vested interest in kids going to play at certain branded schools. However, I’m telling u Adidas, in trying to recapture the #1 spot they once upon a time occupied, along w losing ground to UA (at that time), had a much bigger incentive to lure top players to their branded schools & then furnish them w/ a future shoe deal in the NBA. (wink, wink)

But to ur point, no, we cannot use that excuse any further. I was saying leaving Adidas “at that time” b/c we were just 6 yrs removed from controversy. But it’s been 2 yrs since we were cleared. No more using that as an excuse; just like it was no longer acceptable for Golden to use Shapiro’s “cloud” as an excuse in 2014!! Lol. Yeah, Coach L gotta go, bro. But I’m just not sure Blake has the gonads to do so.

Last edited:
Basketball in my opinion is an “easier” sport to get to a national title.

Think about it for basketball you only need to find the right 12-15 kids. For a small private institution like us that’s much more cost effective than a football team where you need to get 70% of your 85 man roster being a 4 or 5 start to even sniff the Bama’s and Clemsons’s of the world.

if you find the right coach a la Rick Pitino or even Frank Martin you’ll generate the interests that will drive people to the games. If we stop playing such a weak *** non conference schedule and throw in some tough home and homes with some established programs then you can get this thing rolling.

As far as the whole well there’s not enough talent in the area well..Florida has won what 2 championships, if I’m being honest FSU had a great shot of winning one last year, so it certainly can be done. I mean look this South Florida area alone has been responsible for a number of solid players before they eventually move on to Monteverde or any other one of those prep schools in the Orlando area. Just off the top of my head you have the Balsa Koprivica (Palm Beach) kid at FSU, Scottie Barnes (Palm Beach) FSU, Trent Frasier (Palm Beach) Illinois, Vernon Carey Jr (Broward) Duke, Dewan Hernandez (Dade) Miami. I’m sure if I researched it I could find more as well.

overall what this long winded post is trying to say is basketball down here can absolutely blast off and be a power. Our administration just has to be willing to invest in a coach that’s got “star power”. Also, what’s cooler than Miami? Nothing Adidas needs to start getting creative with out jerseys and looks for basketball to further entice the kids to come!

ill end this all with #FireCoachL give me some new blood!

Advertisement
Been saying it on the basketball board to fire Larrenga for awhile but get downvoted to oblivion. He should just retire man, been here 10 years it’s been consist bad recruiting and taking god awful transfers. I stopped watching when our only starting frontcourt option was trash *** waardenburg for 3 f’ing seasons

Advertisement
Back