OT/ Isley Brothers & Earth, Wind & Fire

I would put Minnie Ripperton right up there with any of those great ladies you listed. She would probably crack glass with her high notes.

Had a big hit with “Loving You”. GREAT vocals and strong back up band, but the consistency of the writing/lyrics held her back in my opinion.

She died tragically of cancer. She was the mother of comedian/ actress Maya Rudolph ( of Saturday Night Live game).

Maya's mother Hmmm ......Didn't know that

But now I see the unmistakable resemblance

Advertisement
I like EWF, but from that era, I tended to like The Commodores a bit more.
“Still” “Easy” “Three Times a Lady” “Sail On” “Just to be Close to You” a lot of people saw them as a ballad band but Commodores could get funky too.

interesting tidbit: Kenny Rogers “Lady” was written by Commodores, Lionel Richie.

“Still” “Easy” “Three Times a Lady” “Sail On” “Just to be Close to You” a lot of people saw them as a ballad band but Commodores could get funky too.

interesting tidbit: Kenny Rogers “Lady” was written by Commodores, Lionel Richie.

I won't lie to you, heard "Brick House", really liked the bass guitar in it (The 70's had some really killer bass guitarists), but what got me into The Commodores first was watching Boogie Nights and hearing "Machine Gun" during one of the montages.

Was really digging it and I watched the credits to find out what track it was. Did some binge listening to get the feel of what they were about.

I Loved ALL the groups previously mentioned. We were so lucky and privileged to have experienced them first hand when they were at their best and on top.

Went to the basement and pulled out my old turntable ( Yes that's how music was played back then ) Been playing my oldies all day.

Ran across my old Change Album.

They weren't as well known as those previously mentioned, but their music was great, especially "The Glow of Love": Change member Luther VD blew up a couple of years later

Last edited:
Advertisement

I Loved ALL the groups previously mentioned. We were so lucky and privileged to have experienced them first hand when they were at their best and on top.

Went to the basement and pulled out my old turntable ( Yes that's how music was played back then ) Been playing my oldies all day.

Ran across my old Change Album.

They weren't as well known as those previously mentioned, but their music was great and Change member Luther VD blew up a couple of years later

Advertisement
Back