OT: Ireland/Scotland...where to go?

We have a true connoisseur of the single malted spirits in the house. @Dr.L.ThugU, any whiskey places to visit in Ireland or Scotland that you would recommend or want to visit were you going?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I've been there, and would love to go back. It's always hard for me deciding to return to places I really liked or seeing new places. I usually opt for new countries.

You sound like me lol, I always opt for new countries, eventually I’ll circle back. I’ve been dying to go back to Galapagos hands down the most amazing experience ever.

Dude I am not kidding this is almost the exact route my wife and I took, just swung wide and went to Kilkenny. Didn’t have anything planned, just B&B’d it all the way. Trip of a lifetime if you can relax and just enjoy the journey.
That's awesome, I'm finally getting excited. I was going to get rooms ahead of time but this sounds better, then we can drive as far as we want and just be spontaneous which is my favorite way to travel.

Advertisement
Wife and I spent 14 days driving Ireland a few years ago. When you’re driving down before the Cliffs stop over at Ashford Castle. Greatest place I’ve ever stayed period.

Edinburgh is nice. We grabbed one of the 2 day bus hopper tickets that included tickets to the castle, the palace, and britannia for pretty cheap that were definently worth it. Lots of great scotch and museums but I would say the castle is the cant miss attraction.

Advertisement
Edinburgh is nice. We grabbed one of the 2 day bus hopper tickets that included tickets to the castle, the palace, and britannia for pretty cheap that were definently worth it. Lots of great scotch and museums but I would say the castle is the cant miss attraction.
Too bad they're not going during the first three weeks in August. That's when they have the Commonwealth Royal Tatoo at the castle. When we saw it it was pretty cold that night (50 degrees). I was taking pictures of the castle when the Maori from New Zealand were performing. After they marched off my wife pits me in the ribs and says "wasn't that something? All the girls in the band were bare chested".....son of a *****....why did she wait until they were done to tell me? Have never forgiven her to this day!

Been both places on a golf outing. If you want golf advice let me know.

Killarney is a nice party town.

Even without golf I'd try to make it to St. Andrews, especially on a Sunday. The town itself is magnificent. Plus you can get a feel for the golf on Sunday by walking across the 1st and 18th fairways of the (closed) Old Course to the beach. Also the Old Course Hotel where the tee shot on 17 travels over the corner of the property itself.

Your route through Ireland is almost exactly the one I took in 1990 while attending Wimbledon and the British Open at St. Andrews. I was just a bit different in the southeast because I wanted to visit Tipperary town and also the home of Waterford crystal.

It's amazing how many people have asked me if I kissed the Blarney Stone. Fortunately the answer is yes. The first time as a teenager I thought it looked so stupid I was right there atop the castle but balked at doing it. Luckily I matured so when I visited on my own I made a point to rectify. They give you a certificate of accomplishment. Plus the grounds are extensive and a good tour on their own right.

To the northwest near Galway I love the rugged Connemara section, including the narrow Sky Road. That was so spectacular I made sure to do it again during a return visit.

Pick out a few castles to visit. There are so many I hate to give recommendations. I enjoyed every one.

Advertisement
I'm heading to Ireland next week and I'll be in Dublin for St Patrick's day. I'm also going to the Cliffs of Moher. I'll have a rental car and a few open days so was just curious of other good places to see. I like getting off the beaten path (if it's worth it) so just looking for suggestions.

I'll also be in Edinburgh for a few days and Copenhagen as well if anyone has good places to go or day trips from either of those spots.
Can't help you. Been in Dublin for St Pat's before but never got passed there. Actually never got passed first pub I went into. Why bother, I drink neat so don't require ice.

Can't help you. Been in Dublin for St Pat's before but never got passed there. Actually never got passed first pub I went into. Why bother, I drink neat so don't require ice.
Haha, that's what I'll be doing. However, they just cancelled the parade in Dublin which sucks. I'm sure it will still be lively and a great time though.

Advertisement
Even without golf I'd try to make it to St. Andrews, especially on a Sunday. The town itself is magnificent. Plus you can get a feel for the golf on Sunday by walking across the 1st and 18th fairways of the (closed) Old Course to the beach. Also the Old Course Hotel where the tee shot on 17 travels over the corner of the property itself.

Your route through Ireland is almost exactly the one I took in 1990 while attending Wimbledon and the British Open at St. Andrews. I was just a bit different in the southeast because I wanted to visit Tipperary town and also the home of Waterford crystal.

It's amazing how many people have asked me if I kissed the Blarney Stone. Fortunately the answer is yes. The first time as a teenager I thought it looked so stupid I was right there atop the castle but balked at doing it. Luckily I matured so when I visited on my own I made a point to rectify. They give you a certificate of accomplishment. Plus the grounds are extensive and a good tour on their own right.

To the northwest near Galway I love the rugged Connemara section, including the narrow Sky Road. That was so spectacular I made sure to do it again during a return visit.

Pick out a few castles to visit. There are so many I hate to give recommendations. I enjoyed every one.

Rumor has it that the locals **** on the Blarney Stone, to stick it to tourists.

Haha, that's what I'll be doing. However, they just cancelled the parade in Dublin which sucks. I'm sure it will still be lively and a great time though.
Enjoy. I just got done wishing my old partner happy birthday. We use to start celebrating his birthday at lunch on the tenth and roll until St Patties' Day -- 7 day drunk fest. Ah, to be that young and stupid again. I'll lucky to finish a third or fourth Jameson on the 17th. Thank the Good Lord that I consumed enough in my youth to still be averaging and healthy "average drunks" per week. Here's thought, since the streets will be clear, grab two bottle of your favorite and just stagger along the road. Beat you gather your old parade in no time. You can't keep the Irish down.

Advertisement
Back