OT: Ireland/Scotland...where to go?

BS85

D before E
Premium
I'm heading to Ireland next week and I'll be in Dublin for St Patrick's day. I'm also going to the Cliffs of Moher. I'll have a rental car and a few open days so was just curious of other good places to see. I like getting off the beaten path (if it's worth it) so just looking for suggestions.

I'll also be in Edinburgh for a few days and Copenhagen as well if anyone has good places to go or day trips from either of those spots.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I've been to Ireland and Scotland a few times. I was in Ireland for St Pat's 2 or 3 years ago. Cliffs of Moher are great, might be a bit foggy and hard to see this time of year. There are plenty of day trips to Loch Ness from Edinburgh for 40-50 bucks that last the whole day. Those are worth it in my opinion. If you even have a slight interest in whisky, try and make it to a distillery in Scotland.

Advertisement
Head to Northern Ireland. Beautiful country, lots of history. Learn about "The Troubles", the real conflicts, the paramilitaries, and walk Belfast. You'll learn a lot and appreciate the experience.

When in Ireland visit: Clonmacnoise, Blarney Castle, Kinsale, drive the Ring of Kerry or Dingle. In Dublin go to Trinity College and check out the Book of Kells. In Scotland visit the castle in Edinburgh. Take a boat ride on Loch Loman. Both wonderful places but the Republic of Ireland is filled with beauty and really nice people.

Advertisement
Heres a couple

P1005431-2-2.jpg
P1005434-2-2.jpg
P1005437-2-2.jpg
P1005439-2-2.jpg
P1005468-2-2.jpg
P1005490-2.jpg

Thanks, I've actually been looking through your IG the past few minutes. Awesome pics. We've been to a lot of the same places. I grew up in Montana and my family actually has a cabin outside the park, glad you got to see a bear.

Based on your pictures, you need to go to Istanbul, you'd probably never leave.

Advertisement
When in Ireland visit: Clonmacnoise, Blarney Castle, Kinsale, drive the Ring of Kerry or Dingle. In Dublin go to Trinity College and check out the Book of Kells. In Scotland visit the castle in Edinburgh. Take a boat ride on Loch Loman. Both wonderful places but the Republic of Ireland is filled with beauty and really nice people.
This is great stuff, I'll try to do as much of this as possible. If you had to pick between Single and the Ring of Kerry, do you have a preference? I was looking at both of those but may not have time to do both.

I've been to Ireland and Scotland a few times. I was in Ireland for St Pat's 2 or 3 years ago. Cliffs of Moher are great, might be a bit foggy and hard to see this time of year. There are plenty of day trips to Loch Ness from Edinburgh for 40-50 bucks that last the whole day. Those are worth it in my opinion. If you even have a slight interest in whisky, try and make it to a distillery in Scotland.
Cannot recommend the Cliffs of Moher enough. The greatest display of the majesty and terror in Creation I’ve ever experienced in my life. Unless they’ve barricaded it off you could walk right off the cliffs if you wanted.

Cannot recommend the Cliffs of Moher enough. The greatest display of the majesty and terror in Creation I’ve ever experienced in my life. Unless they’ve barricaded it off you could walk right off the cliffs if you wanted.

I've been twice, once in 2013 and once in 2017. There were more barricades in 2017, but if you go far enough down the coast it was still open. Just have to be careful of the wind

Advertisement
Back