OT: Ireland/Scotland...where to go?

I've been twice, once in 2013 and once in 2017. There were more barricades in 2017, but if you go far enough down the coast it was still open. Just have to be careful of the wind
It’s probably good that they have those up, honestly. I thought my new wife was going to fall off at one point. That was before 2013 even, they were doing a good amount of work in the area.

Advertisement
This is great stuff, I'll try to do as much of this as possible. If you had to pick between Single and the Ring of Kerry, do you have a preference? I was looking at both of those but may not have time to do both.
Kerry is the more popular of the two. I was on Dingle and it was amazing. Be sure to see The Cliffs of Moher as well. Was there the first week of August a few years ago. It wasn't raining but, man, was it friggin' cold with the wind whipping across the ocean. By the Way...on that side of the island the water is a blue as the Caribbean.

In Shannon you can see one of the original TWA planes that flew from there to Boston. They were boat planes that took off and landed in water. The Actress Maureen O'Hara's husband was the first pilot to fly the route. Also, if someone told me I could only live in one place besides here it could very easily be Killarney.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I think this is my route.
1583684404060.png

The gardens around Blarney Castle are beautiful. To kiss the stone, you have to lie down on your back on a piece of plastic, over a 4-story drop while a guy holds onto your hips and grab hold of the hand grips. Guinness tour is great and Princess St. in Edinburgh has really good shops. I enjoyed a bus ride to St.Andrews and Loch Ness. Cliffs of Moher should be a priority. You will find the people in Ireland very outgoing and happy and the people in Scotland a bit stoic. Hope you have a great time and report back when you return.

View attachment 113159
Dude I am not kidding this is almost the exact route my wife and I took, just swung wide and went to Kilkenny. Didn’t have anything planned, just B&B’d it all the way. Trip of a lifetime if you can relax and just enjoy the journey.

Advertisement
Go to Italy....Wine country...Thank CaneinOrlando later (P.S...as a Thank You gift, a bottle of Montalcino would be straight...)

Copenhagen is a fave. Amazing foodie city. One of the best Thai restaurants I have ever been to is Copenhagen. Its called Kiin Kiin.

Have you been to Geranium or Noma? I'll be in Copenhagen for a week this summer and definitely want to get a reservation at one of them.

The sunset in Edinburgh is amazing. The whole city is a great place for a walk-about. I bypassed the official day trip and rented a car. Didn't realize until they opened the door the wheel was on the right side. Fun 10 hour day on the wrong side of the road from Edinburgh to Inverness and back. Stopped off at the Culloden Battelfield. Too much to see in one day.
ED.jpg

Advertisement
Galway is a must.

I recommend you to go to Guinness Storehouse to get a glass of very very fresh beer. A few years ago I managed to convince the bartender to get 2nd free beer there. ;) I walked to the Jamieson factory but it was closed for a renovation. Ugh

View attachment 113159
Don't miss out on Kinsale. It's tight below Cork and not far away. It is beautiful. Also, if you go to Scotland in Edinburgh there is a street called the Royal Mile. It starts at the castle Holyrood (bottom of the hill) where the Queen goes sometimes all the way up to the Medieval castle where the crown jewels of Scotland are housed. It's definitely worth the effort.

I'm heading to Ireland next week and I'll be in Dublin for St Patrick's day. I'm also going to the Cliffs of Moher. I'll have a rental car and a few open days so was just curious of other good places to see. I like getting off the beaten path (if it's worth it) so just looking for suggestions.

I'll also be in Edinburgh for a few days and Copenhagen as well if anyone has good places to go or day trips from either of those spots.

Any chance of checking out Iceland? Direct flight from Dublin.

Advertisement
Have you been to Geranium or Noma? I'll be in Copenhagen for a week this summer and definitely want to get a reservation at one of them.
I have not. I have heard Geranium is unreal. You should be contacting restaurants and booking a table now.

Any chance of checking out Iceland? Direct flight from Dublin.
Haha, funny you should ask. I'm going with my girlfriend and some other people. We're doing Ireland and Scotland and then I'm going to Copenhagen for 3 days on my own. I was going to do Iceland instead but my girlfriend wants us to go there together. It wasn't a big deal to me so Copenhagen it is. I'm going to India (for a wedding) and the Maldives in July for a few weeks so I don't have any extra vacation to use.

I'm heading to Ireland next week and I'll be in Dublin for St Patrick's day. I'm also going to the Cliffs of Moher. I'll have a rental car and a few open days so was just curious of other good places to see. I like getting off the beaten path (if it's worth it) so just looking for suggestions.

I'll also be in Edinburgh for a few days and Copenhagen as well if anyone has good places to go or day trips from either of those spots.
Ireland has always been a dream of mine to visit my family came from there.
Those pubs down a winding stone road were beer is corked in barrels dark cool bar made of stones with Irish stew cooking and fresh bread with Irish butter.

My grandpa was in the merchant marines on a sub and docked there and met my grandmother dancing at the dock and told her he’s coming back to get her and marry her .

True story brothers

Ireland in my dreams with my Nanny and Pa

GOCANES

Advertisement
Haha, funny you should ask. I'm going with my girlfriend and some other people. We're doing Ireland and Scotland and then I'm going to Copenhagen for 3 days on my own. I was going to do Iceland instead but my girlfriend wants us to go there together. It wasn't a big deal to me so Copenhagen it is. I'm going to India (for a wedding) and the Maldives in July for a few weeks so I don't have any extra vacation to use.

Definitely check out Iceland sometime. Beautiful place and great vacation area IMO (despite higher drink/food costs). Flights and lodging are affordable. Rent a vehicle and drive around the island.

As much as I loved visiting Ireland - was there in 2016 and it is a beautiful country - with the situation now in play I'd avoid traveling there.

Ireland went from 1 case last Saturday to 21 today, with most of them having returned from Italy. The Health Service Executive has come under criticism for not disclosing where the cases are coming from, aside from saying "Eastern Ireland" or "Western Ireland".

Thanks, I've actually been looking through your IG the past few minutes. Awesome pics. We've been to a lot of the same places. I grew up in Montana and my family actually has a cabin outside the park, glad you got to see a bear.

Based on your pictures, you need to go to Istanbul, you'd probably never leave.
I was in Istanbul about 8 year’s ago. Pretty wild sites though not sure I’d go right now with the political issues.

Go to Italy....Wine country...Thank CaneinOrlando later (P.S...as a Thank You gift, a bottle of Montalcino would be straight...)
Not right now, especially in the North, with the Corona virus. I think the state department has it as a no travel place at the moment???

Advertisement
Back