OT: I'm Back

johnnytsunami01

Sophomore
Alright guys, so I'm back. On September 19th through Sept. 20th Hurricane Maria Cat. 4/5 hit me and my island of Puerto Rico. I'm sure you have seen the news, the island is devastated.

I am so hurt by the things I have experienced and seen the last week that I don't even know what to say. I'll have a video in the coming days on what I saw and what life is like in Puerto Rico.

I flew in last night with my family to Virginia to stay with my Uncle because right now me and my dad are in-between jobs and can't apply without power. Unfortunately, I won't be on the island to help rebuild it for at least a couple of weeks. But I promise you, Puerto Rico will not be defeated.

P.S. I haven't had power or telephone signal for the past week, so looking at my phone last night and seeing that FSU lost brought some much needed happiness to my life. I'm about to watch this Miami vs Toledo game. Can't believe we were losing at halftime and gave up so many points, but glad we won. Now lets beat Duke tomorrow!!

Advertisement
Alright guys, so I'm back. On September 19th through Sept. 20th Hurricane Maria Cat. 4/5 hit me and my island of Puerto Rico. I'm sure you have seen the news, the island is devastated.

I am so hurt by the things I have experienced and seen the last week that I don't even know what to say. I'll have a video in the coming days on what I saw and what life is like in Puerto Rico.

I flew in last night with my family to Virginia to stay with my Uncle because right now me and my dad are in-between jobs and can't apply without power. Unfortunately, I won't be on the island to help rebuild it for at least a couple of weeks. But I promise you, Puerto Rico will not be defeated.

P.S. I haven't had power or telephone signal for the past week, so looking at my phone last night and seeing that FSU lost brought some much needed happiness to my life. I'm about to watch this Miami vs Toledo game. Can't believe we were losing at halftime and gave up so many points, but glad we won. Now lets beat Duke tomorrow!!

One week later and now Trump orders aid to PR. Yet for one week he has made a hundred tweets about the NFL. Just shows you where his priorities are.

Welcome back. Glad to hear that you are safe! I wish you well with your job search. Go Canes!!!

Hope this helps a bit.

[video=youtube;nNg7DPGK_ZA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNg7DPGK_ZA[/video]

Glad you're safe Johnny. I'm sitting at Ft. Bragg right now waiting for a ride to the island to help establish comms for the recovery efforts. Hoping it comes sooner than later but there are so many federal agencies and military units trying to get in right now, airlift is at a premium. Just know that help is on the way, Godspeed brother!

Advertisement

One week later and now Trump orders aid to PR. Yet for one week he has made a hundred tweets about the NFL. Just shows you where his priorities are.

GTFOH with that garbage. Take it to your favorite whining political message board where you can also discuss his historical response time to Harvey and Irma...though I'm sure that won't be in your talking points.

UM

God Bless brother. Hang in there.

UM

Advertisement

Hey, can you stfu and let everybody welcome Tsunami back to the board?

Good to hear you and family are ok.

That was a really nasty one-two punch of hurricanes, so much for one island to bear.

Good luck, and it'll take time, but I know PR will come back stronger than ever.

Politics aside as the response can and will be judged by history once everything crystallizes but 1/2 of this country is pathetically unaware that Puerto Ricans are Americans. One day we should get around to the crisis of basic history/civics/geography education (or lack thereof) in our school systems. Sometimes that knowledge is actually more important to your ability to be an informed and responsible citizen as any STEM based learning.

That said, glad the OP is relatively well. I was actually getting concerned that my jokes about dedicating the FSU game to his memory were going to end up being a little tooooo edgy.

Politics aside as the response can and will be judged by history once everything crystallizes but 1/2 of this country is pathetically unaware that Puerto Ricans are Americans. One day we should get around to the crisis of basic history/civics/geography education (or lack thereof) in our school systems. Sometimes that knowledge is actually more important to your ability to be an informed and responsible citizen as any STEM based learning.

That said, glad the OP is relatively well. I was actually getting concerned that my jokes about dedicating the FSU game to his memory were going to end up being a little tooooo edgy.

Except we're not doing great on STEM either.

Advertisement

Haha. Babysteps. A little periodic table with a small dose of knowing the US Territories.

Seriously guys, just stop...there's a bunch of issues wrong with education that you wouldn't know about as well because you don't teach like my mother does. This isn't the place for that conversation though...

Advertisement
God bless brother, I hope all works out for you and your dad. I have YET, to hear from my father and family members. It's brutal out there, my sister-in-law sent me videos while it was happening. It was not a good sight.
Stay strong, we will get through this.... glad to see you back!

[MENTION=5545]johnnytsunami01[/MENTION], welcome back. Very happy that you are safe. I was on your island just last year and am sad to see the devastation. Where are you in Virginia? I live here.

There is a logjam of federal agencies and military units trying to get into the island, it's been that way for over a week now. Unlike the mainland states affected by Harvey and Irma, you can't just pickup your **** and drive to PR like many local fire departments and other first responders were able to do in the aftermath of those storms. The only way in is by air or sea. It's a logistical cluster****.

We could send C-5's and C-17's loaded with personnel and equipment around the clock, but the operational airfields and infrastructure can't support that ops tempo, at least not yet. Even if they could, first responders need food and water too and all those trucks and generators need fuel. At some point they'd start to become more of a liability than an asset.

This is what I know based on daily sitreps from boots on ground, not MSNBC or FNC. There are a ****load of people who are ready, willing and able to help, we're just waiting on a ride.

Seriously guys, just stop...there's a bunch of issues wrong with education that you wouldn't know about as well because you don't teach like my mother does. This isn't the place for that conversation though...

I'll cease after this last point though- this is PRECISELY the place (this topic not a football board) for these type of discussions though as the collective ignorance of this country (across all racial/economic bounds) is on display when polling says that 1 out of 2 people are legit morons on this specific issue. And that widespread stupidity CAN affect things like the urgency our leaders feel to respond to a crisis or even the collective impetus the country feels to donate to relief efforts.

Advertisement
Back