OT: Huge win for college sports athletes from Supreme Court

Everyone in the NCAA executive office knows that without action by Congress, amateurism in college sports is on its last leg. The Court basically invited a challenge to all compensation restrictions in the dicta.

Advertisement
I may not have all of the facts, but while this appears to be very good for the student athletes, its a HUGE negative for all but maybe 20-30 schools.

The $SEC can afford to pay everyone top dollar, but most of the schools in other conferences cant even come close. For example, only OK and TX in the Big 12, USC, UCLA and Oregon in the PAC 12, etc. etc. In the ACC, most of the schools will fall further back. No way all the private schools can compete (except maybe us), etc. etc.

I may not have all of the facts, but while this appears to be very good for the student athletes, its a HUGE negative for all but maybe 20-30 schools.

The $SEC can afford to pay everyone top dollar, but most of the schools in other conferences cant even come close. For example, only OK and TX in the Big 12, USC, UCLA and Oregon in the PAC 12, etc. etc. In the ACC, most of the schools will fall further back. No way all the private schools can compete (except maybe us), etc. etc.
Everyone keeps talking about things like this and the NIL being good for us. All it is doing is laying the legal groundwork for boosters at big schools and now the schools themselves to push payments and benefits above the table. You already have schools like Michigan taking their whole football team to Italy and Africa for training. You also know these big schools will be giving their players computers, iPads, summer trips abroad every year, just to get talent. Maybe Miami will get new computers and iPads, but we are going to lose on this.

With the NIL, I get we are in a big market, but Alabama or Georgia player's social media followings and footprints dwarf ours. That's what companies care about for advertisements. Social media has negated that. Everyone is everywhere, always. Locally, Jim Bob's Dodge of Athens or Tuscaloosa can now pay players to sponsor their dealership. Do people think JM Lexus or Warren Henry are going to be doing this in Miami?

Last edited:
Everyone keeps talking about things like this and the NIL being good for us. All it is doing is laying the legal groundwork for boosters at big schools and now the schools themselves to push payments and benefits above the table. You already have schools like Michigan taking their whole football team to Italy and Africa for training. You also know these big schools will be giving their players computers, iPads, summer trips abroad every year, just to get talent. Maybe Miami will get new computers and iPads, but we are going to lose on this.

With the NIL, I get we are in a big market, but Alabama or Georgia player's social media followings and footprints dwarf ours. That's what companies care about for advertisements. Social media has negated that. Everyone is everywhere, always. Locally, Jim Bob's Dodge of Athens or Tuscaloosa can now pay players to sponsor their dealership. Do people think JM Lexus or Warren Henry is going to be doing this in Miami?

There is a top tier of say Bama, L$U, OK, TX, TAMU, OSU, PSU, Mich, etc. that will benefit wildly.

Then there is the next tier, which consists of the rest of the $EC, plus some of the big city schools - this is probably where we are.

There is a top tier of say Bama, L$U, OK, TX, TAMU, OSU, PSU, Mich, etc. that will benefit wildly.

Then there is the next tier, which consists of the rest of the $EC, plus some of the big city schools - this is probably where we are.

And at the end of the day we have to remember some kids will still chose schools based on other factors:

Playing time, emotional connection to school or coaches, distance from home, degree their seeking etc...

Advertisement
And at the end of the day we have to remember some kids will still chose schools based on other factors:

Playing time, emotional connection to school or coaches, distance from home, degree their seeking etc...

I agree - I think this really harms many of the lower tier Power 5 programs; say Nebraska as an example.

Well that student debt counter is about to get even larger. I bet w.e. cost this brings gets passed to the students paying tuition.
Perhaps schools will stop paying coaches a King's ransom for a kid's game. Never made sense to me driving up salaries just because the money was there. They didn't spread it around to the student athletes and now they phuked themselves.

I agree - I think this really harms many of the lower tier Power 5 programs; say Nebraska as an example.
Why would it hurt Nebraska? They have plenty of cash from donors and they still pack seats because there's nothing else to do in corn country.

Why would it hurt Nebraska? They have plenty of cash from donors and they still pack seats because there's nothing else to do in corn country.

Beyond the geography (who wants to live in Lincoln), the money disparity, which is already huge, will only get bigger and bigger. Even a place like Rutgers might be more attractive to an athlete, being in the NY/NJ market.

Advertisement

Yep ..

I’m so confused;

Let me back this up really quick. For ya’ll that think this is a good thing for Miami, this point is directly aimed at u:

The excuse for yrs is that Miami, since Shalala, haven’t cared about sports. The excuse for yrs have been how can a small, private institution w/ limited resources compete w/ big state schools? The excuse for yrs was we don’t have boosters like the big state schools. The excuse for yrs have been we can’t compete in the bag game w/ big state schools.

Aight; ffwd to 06/21/21: Now the bag game, essentially, is going to be legalized. Yeah, yeah, they’ll impose some “restrictions & guidelines” to mitigate under the table stuff, but let’s be real, Pandora’s box have been given a giant key. So now all of a sudden, the excuses we’ve used is now, what, disappeared? So we got boosters coming out the woodworks now? I mean our biggest, known booster in yrs past didn’t even have real $. So all of a sudden, The University is going to stop being small & private, and allocate resources to compete w/ big state schools?

Like, Fr, Fr make it make sense. All I see is schools like Bama & UGA no longer offering $100-250k but now they can openly offer $300-400k to 5 star players b/c that’s now an open investment. I can see a school like OK St who has a multi billionaire booster getting some skin in this. I’m not seeing how this helps us, IF the excuses used to justify & validate the Tom Fckery we’ve been exposed to is indeed valid.

Perhaps schools will stop paying coaches a King's ransom for a kid's game. Never made sense to me driving up salaries just because the money was there. They didn't spread it around to the student athletes and now they phuked themselves.
That makes too much sense.

Advertisement
So how does this benefit the University of Miami?
Benefits the athletes, not the schools. I would offer NCAA now has to be vigilant in watching the ledger for how schools determine "COA"?

Give them [schools] an inch and they will take miles.

I think the bigger issue for athletes is how this ruling further redefines their relationship with all parties.

I’m so confused;

Let me back this up really quick. For ya’ll that think this is a good thing for Miami, this point is directly aimed at u:

The excuse for yrs is that Miami, since Shalala, haven’t cared about sports. The excuse for yrs have been how can a small, private institution w/ limited resources compete w/ big state schools? The excuse for yrs was we don’t have boosters like the big state schools. The excuse for yrs have been we can’t compete in the bag game w/ big state schools.

Aight; ffwd to 06/21/21: Now the bag game, essentially, is going to be legalized. Yeah, yeah, they’ll impose some “restrictions & guidelines” to mitigate under the table stuff, but let’s be real, Pandora’s box have been given a giant key. So now all of a sudden, the excuses we’ve used is now, what, disappeared? So we got boosters coming out the woodworks now? I mean our biggest, known booster in yrs past didn’t even have real $. So all of a sudden, The University is going to stop being small & private, and allocate resources to compete w/ big state schools?

Like, Fr, Fr make it make sense. All I see is schools like Bama & UGA no longer offering $100-250k but now they can openly offer $300-400k to 5 star players b/c that’s now an open investment. I can see a school like OK St who has a multi billionaire booster getting some skin in this. I’m not seeing how this helps us, IF the excuses used to justify & validate the Tom Fckery we’ve been exposed to is indeed valid.

Depends on how the NCAA responds. Do they run it like a business to where schools would cut costs and downsize rosters, you know, like a business?...or does the NCAA keep flaugin' like they're amateurs and schools like Alabama continue to colonize places like South Florida?

Advertisement
Benefits the athletes, not the schools. I would offer NCAA now has to be vigilant in watching the ledger for how schools determine "COA"?

Give them [schools] an inch and they will take miles.

I think the bigger issue for athletes is how this ruling further redefines their relationship with all parties.
Of course, it benefits those schools that can play this game. They can pass on costs easily in ticket prices and alumni contributions and get away with it. This will kill athletic departments of institutions that are struggling to keep pace. Non-rev sports just got significantly hurt. Plus, the bag game boosters can now donate in the open. Their attorneys and accountants may be happy. What's the fair market for a 5-star running back for the Alabama Crimson Tide?

I agree with your second point. Who knows? Collective bargaining. Tax implications. Box meet Pandora.

Of course, it benefits those schools that can play this game. They can pass on costs easily in ticket prices and alumni contributions and get away with it. This will kill athletic departments of institutions that are struggling to keep pace. Non-rev sports just got significantly hurt. Plus, the bag game boosters can now donate in the open. Their attorneys and accountants may be happy. What's the fair market for a 5-star running back for the Alabama Crimson Tide?

I agree with your second point. Who knows? Collective bargaining. Tax implications. Box meet Pandora.

I am not a tax guy, but couldnt the IRS now say that a student athlete is no longer amateur, and since they are getting paid, even their scholarship becomes taxable?

Separately, the high tax states tax any pro athlete that plays in their state, even if its one game. So if Miami plays in the Rose Bowl, do our players have to pay California income tax?

I am not a tax guy, but couldnt the IRS now say that a student athlete is no longer amateur, and since they are getting paid, even their scholarship becomes taxable?

Separately, the high tax states tax any pro athlete that plays in their state, even if its one game. So if Miami plays in the Rose Bowl, do our players have to pay California income tax?
As to the first paragraph, this portion would still be capped at the cost of attendance. Id think all of this is not income, similar to if someone gets a full academic scholarship. The room and board and travel portions are generally taxable, and I’d guess historically a lot of people were below the reportable income threshold.

The second part is going to be the second half of the unmitigated cluster**** with the first half being the IRS figuring out what to tax from NIL earnings. Every state is different with how many days you’re allowed to work there without paying taxes. California and New York are two of the strictest. However, guys aren’t being paid for the games they are playing in that state, thoigh I think you can argue that game leads to the sponsorship. It’s going to be a disaster.

Advertisement
Back