OT: How about an OTH (otherthanhiphop) music thread?

12 String guitarist extraordinaire, Leo Kottke

0D748865-00F6-44FF-BA6B-ADAEA71E1B3A.jpeg

Advertisement
With apologies to Live at Leeds and Who’s Next, my favorite Who work. I dont think it ever got it’s due, in part because Keith Moon crashed and burned during the tour in support of it. Nevertheless...

745CB30E-6B62-46D4-810F-1B3EA926D53F.jpeg

I enjoy the Putumayo compilations. Music from all over the place. Good stuff. Introdduced me to a ton of music I barely knew about and Artists I’d never heard of.

85F071D3-8B53-4E4D-A184-F8B2868C7CA8.jpeg

Advertisement
With apologies to Live at Leeds and Who’s Next, my favorite Who work. I dont think it ever got it’s due, in part because Keith Moon crashed and burned during the tour in support of it. Nevertheless...

View attachment 117907
Their concert DVD Live at the Isle of Wight is one of my favorite concert movies. A good chunk of it is filmed from behind Keith Moon, so it is pretty much him in his manic state going mental behind the drums. Highly recommend.

Quadrophenia is my favorite of their albums as well. I actually went with my dad when they did play the full album in 1997.

I don’t know how much you are into the jam stuff, but Phish covers full albums on Halloween. They did Quadrophenia in 1995. You may like some of their stuff that trends to prog rock (David Bowie and You Enjoy Myself being two of those songs). Here is a link to that Halloween show.

One of the guys ive been going to Canes games with has brought that concert up every year for the last 28 years. Lmao
The Deep Purple concert that took place within a couple months of that one was even better. Sammy Hagar was supposed to open but hurt his knee, so the got a band named Girlschool to open. Everybody sat outside smoking until they were done.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Father of sampling and eventually elecric dance?
It’s always interesting where samples come from. **** Black Cow by Steely Dan is one of the most recognizable hip hop samples, which is wild. If you want to dig into sort of the forefathers of electronica, check out some of Brian Enos’s stuff. Interesting guy who produced for a ton of different bands but also experimented with electronica stuff early on.

One of my earliest memories is being taken down to the street corner in South Philly and listening while my cousin and his friends sang some doo ***. Ive liked that sound and those a capella harmonies ever since. I have this boxed set. Its a nice compilation.

91F0950E-80C7-49F8-BD95-44413ADC09F0.jpeg

Their concert DVD Live at the Isle of Wight is one of my favorite concert movies. A good chunk of it is filmed from behind Keith Moon, so it is pretty much him in his manic state going mental behind the drums. Highly recommend.

Quadrophenia is my favorite of their albums as well. I actually went with my dad when they did play the full album in 1997.

I don’t know how much you are into the jam stuff, but Phish covers full albums on Halloween. They did Quadrophenia in 1995. You may like some of their stuff that trends to prog rock (David Bowie and You Enjoy Myself being two of those songs). Here is a link to that Halloween show.

Thanks, I will check it out, although I do have high standards, being a prog snob..... lol.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back