OT- Have athletes gotten worse in the NBA/MLB?

Exactly.

He had the green light and put up big numbers with inefficient shooting on a bad team.

Curry would be a lot better than that, but he would not be the Curry we saw at his peak.

Curry could have been a great college player that didn’t live up to his potential, but he was drafted into a great situation. His first two coaches didn’t try to stifle or change him the way some other college players were ruined and got their confidence destroyed.

Situation matters more than people like to think. Steve Nash was considered an overrated bust for most of his time in Dallas and struggled in the role of 90s style point guard. It took Mike Dantoni to reach his all NBA potential.

Could you imagine Curry having gotten drafted by a guy like Mike Fratello?

Today’s rules and coaching style have allowed point guards to dominate in ways they never have in the history of the game.

But that goes both ways. I think guys like Bradley Beal, Zach Levine, and Demar Derozan would have put up big, big numbers if they were allowed to play the volume shooting and iso style shooting guards used to dominate.

Nash an overrated bust? I grew up in Dallas and went to a ton of games during the Nash years. Dude didn't fit the system, but he was still an All-Star level PG, the problem was that he replaced a dominant PG in Jason Kidd. The Mavs didn't really want to pay him max money, because they saw him as a key piece, but not as THE piece. Dirk and Finley were the franchise at that time.

Advertisement
Nash an overrated bust? I grew up in Dallas and went to a ton of games during the Nash years. Dude didn't fit the system, but he was still an All-Star level PG, the problem was that he replaced a dominant PG in Jason Kidd. The Mavs didn't really want to pay him max money, because they saw him as a key piece, but not as THE piece. Dirk and Finley were the franchise at that time.

Exactly. Nash made 3rd team NBA in 2002 and 2003 while he was still on Dallas and before hand checking rules changed.

Going to Phoenix and playing in D'antoni's system combined with the rule changes fully unlocked Nash - but dude was an all NBA player before any of those things.

Last edited:

Nash was garbage his first four years.

He put up better scoring numbers his last few seasons in Dallas, but he became a dominant point guard his second stint in Phoenix under Dantoni.

Advertisement

Necessary bump.
dave chappelle drugs GIF

I don’t know how saucy the Spurs were when they were winning all these championships in the 21st century.

Advertisement
Tomorrow is the match between Yankees and White Sox!!! Which team are y'all supporting? I've been a Yankees fan all of my life! I went to a lot of their matches because my dad and I are their hugest fans. I think I'm a bit obsessed but I swear it's a healthy obsession lol. I just get super excited when I talk about something I really like. Anyways, I'm also kind of interested in betting on sports matches on https://www.americanodds.com/mlb/mlb-computer-picks, sooo, of course, I'm gonna bet on the Yankees' win!!! I'm so excited to see more playoffs, this season is a complicated one because of the pandemic but we will get through it!

Last edited:
Well, I can really only speak for soccer and the answer is, without a question, in the words of Dr. Cox:

"Never. Not in a million years. Absolutely not. No way, Jose. No chance, Lance. Nyet. Negatory. Mm-mm. Nuh-uh. Uh-uh. And of course, my own personal favorite of all time, man falling off of a cliff. Noooooooooo!"

Watch a game from 30-40 years ago and compare it to now. Football/soccer players run, at least, 10 kilometres per 90 minutes, regardless of position (except goalkeepers of course).

And, judging how training methods have developed over the course of time, I would say players are better trained now compared to back then. Anthony Munoz played at 280 lbs and is a Hall of Famer, New England had 6´8 380 lbs LT the last time they won a Super Bowl and he didnt move like someone having that size.

Advertisement
Back