OT Hard knocks Cleveland Browns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will never be a cleveland browns fan period ever. I don't give a four letter word how many players they draft from Miami. Hope they do well in life, but naw dog. I want my Ravens to continue to smack a hole in that ****.

Advertisement
How is kneeling during the pledge telling veterans to go **** themselves? It was a vet that recomended that Kap start kneeling. Not only that, but those vets fought for their right to peacefully protest. If you want to live in a country like North Korea that forces people to pledge then that is your right and you can form your own protest. It brought massive awareness to police brutality. Everybody who hasn't been living under a rock now knows about the issue(some people don't care and would rather try and build up a straw man in order to deflect the message). No one kneeling is thinking "**** the vets". They could do other protests and people would find a way to try and claim the message is disrespectful to a certain group.

That Part

Francis Scott Key, who wrote the national anthem was a descendant of and lifelong slave owner himself. His life’s work was chattel slavery and he became a legislator in order to protect the institution of savage barbaric slavery. He also fought, bled and put his life on the line in several battles fighting those who aimed to end slavery in America. His song “The Star Spangled Banner” is an ode to a specific battle won in defense of the chattel slavery that those player’s ancestors were a victim of. 4 lines were removed from the song because they expose this fact. So why aren’t the “angry” people appalled by this historical fact?

Not to mention that the first time the anthem was connected to sporting events was during a World Series between the Cubs and Yankees if I’m not mistaken. The attendance was so low that someone came up with an idea to play The Star Spangled Banner during the 7th inning stretch and the next night when they did, people went nuts. For the remainder of the series it was played during the 7th inning stretch and attendance sky-rocketed. It had ZERO to do with patriotism, the intentions were commercial/monetary/economic capitalism.

White immigrants weren’t always considered white — and acceptable

U can’t bring up your struggles (especially not when the topic is black oppression) as a badge of honor when your path out from under it was stepping onto the necks of black people yourselves. Y’all fought to become those who oppressed you as well, as “white people”. This historical fact renders the Irish “me too” point null and void.

The only prominent Irish-descent who history proves to be doing such things was Democrat Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, who authorized the COINTELPRO FBI survelliance and group infiltration programs against Stokley Carmichael, Dr. Ralph Abernathy, Malcom X, and Dr. King among others.

Funny, sounds like what was going on in 2016 too. Wrong then, wrong now...

Advertisement
zGHQb4O.gif

I'm a vet. Served in the USMC. It always amazed me to see and hear people who NEVER served or even ran from it brag about their patriotism or worse yet have the audacity to try and speak for vets.

I would never presume to speak for all vets or in fact for any group.

Speaking for myself, from experience and from generally just being aware and asking questions, never being someone willing to be led about by the nose or have something interpreted for me by someone else with their own agenda. I sought to understand.

So what better source than the people who are actually doing it to find out why?

I watched several Eagles players being interviewed on why the knee? Each said in differing combinations, that it was to protest police brutality, racial profiling, and unfairness against people of color. All ( Black and White players) felt that things could be improved and that America should stand for what it claims to stand for. None said that they were against police, vets, or the USA. Just bad police and bad policing ( BTW so are the good police officers. They don't want some bad ones tarnishing their image and goals.)

No one can deny that America can be improved and that ALL Americans deserve the same rights. As someone who's served I didn't fight for privileges just my family, friends or people I like. Most of us served and fought in defense of the Constitutional rights of ALL Americans, even the ones we disagree with. None of us are perfect...we can only strive in that direction and even then we'll never make it. But at the very least try

Seems that they just want the unfairness to stop. You would too IF it were happening to you. I know I would.

In short, taking the knee doesn't bother me or other vets I know at all........not to say that it may not bother some.

Last edited:
All our dead servicemen that died in action bled and died for the ANTHEM? So you think they died for a song?

I thought they died for the United States and to defend freedom. Silly me! It turns out they died defending a song!

of course they didnt die for a song. just like the players arent protesting a song.

the anthem is more than just a collection of patterned soundwaves. the moment, the melody, the the ceremony, the pageantry... the sum of the entire experience represents something more than any individual piece. the anthem is more than it's creator's history, or its country's history, for that matter. like all things known in our universe, it evolves & changes with the people that recognize it. words, thoughts, phrases, tools, and yes, songs, are re-purposed and reused all the time.

it is a unifying call, that says regardless of our differences(on the field and off), at the end of this game, we still realize that we are something greater than a football game. this is why we now perform the anthem before the game begins. think of it similar to the ceremony of prayer before a meal, that represents being grateful for being able to sit with family/loved ones and enjoy life giving nourishment together. its about being able to realize in that present moment that we are all one(in a certain, specific sense of the word). propaganda? sure, if that's your world view, we can call it that. but its all a part of the process of nation building, and nation sustaining.. a tool to expand and enforce our "in-group", cohesion.

the reason its been targeted as a means for protest is because of its effectiveness. not as a protest against a song, but as a protest against the unifying call of a people. protesters are claiming, we dont accept your call for unification. we dont recognize it in the way that you do. what you call unity is a farce to us. i think seen through this lens, its understandable why it upsets so many people. it should also be understandable why its seen as a just protest.

my gut reaction to the protesting is that i dont like it. but, im guessing thats the point.

of course they didnt die for a song. just like the players arent protesting a song.

the anthem is more than just a collection of patterned soundwaves. the moment, the melody, the the ceremony, the pageantry... the sum of the entire experience represents something more than any individual piece. the anthem is more than it's creator's history, or its country's history, for that matter. like all things known in our universe, it evolves & changes with the people that recognize it. words, thoughts, phrases, tools, and yes, songs, are re-purposed and reused all the time.

it is a unifying call, that says regardless of our differences(on the field and off), at the end of this game, we still realize that we are something greater than a football game. this is why we now perform the anthem before the game begins. think of it similar to the ceremony of prayer before a meal, that represents being grateful for being able to sit with family/loved ones and enjoy life giving nourishment together. its about being able to realize in that present moment that we are all one(in a certain, specific sense of the word). propaganda? sure, if that's your world view, we can call it that. but its all a part of the process of nation building, and nation sustaining.. a tool to expand and enforce our "in-group", cohesion.

the reason its been targeted as a means for protest is because of its effectiveness. not as a protest against a song, but as a protest against the unifying call of a people. protesters are claiming, we dont accept your call for unification. we dont recognize it in the way that you do. what you call unity is a farce to us. i think seen through this lens, its understandable why it upsets so many people. it should also be understandable why its seen as a just protest.

my gut reaction to the protesting is that i dont like it. but, im guessing thats the point.
U can’t realistically intend to unite people on your terms only. As a black man and with our experiences and history in America I cannot afford to ignore the roots of things, the creator’s history or the country’s history, that’s a luxury or privilege that we’ve never had. U can’t have a history such as ours and then voluntarily turn a blind eye to what’s occurring right now and not see the correlation and precedent. The paternalism is a passive form of it and it needs to cease. The anthem doesn’t give me those warm fuzzy feelings inside, never has and that’s coming from a person whose ancestors are indigenous to Turtle Island and were on this land before any of its immigrants.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm a vet. Served in the USMC. It always amazed me to see and hear people who NEVER served or even ran from it brag about their patriotism or worse yet have the audacity to try and speak for vets.

In short, taking the knee doesn't bother me or other vets I know at all........not to say that it may not bother some.

I was not speaking for all vets and I have the physical limitations and pain from two wars and two expeditionary conflicts as a memento for my service.

You realize there is context, right?

John_Carlos,_Tommie_Smith,_Peter_Norman_1968cr.jpg

I grew up with this image and have never found it offensive. John Carlos and Tommie Smith had a defined purpose, messaging ,and even the Australian in front, the Silver Medalist, is also wearing a Human Rights patch that Carlos and Smith wore (he did it to protest Australia's harsh anti-Aboriginal policies). These men were amateurs and in the end paid a terrible price. They even defied a request by Harry Edwards to boycott the Olympics, instead making a statement much more powerful by an order of magnitude over a simple boycott. Here is what Smith has said about what happened:

“I don’t like the idea of people looking at it as negative,” Smith said. “There was nothing but a raised fist in the air and a bowed head, acknowledging the American flag — not symbolizing a hatred for it.”

As you said, some vets might be bothered. Shouldn't the kneeling have stopped when even some of the vets took offense and believe it symbolizes disrespect to the USA?

Carlos and Smith sent a powerful message of self-empowerment, pride, and a forthright resolution to change things for the better.

The NFL kneeling unecessarily divides us.

I was not speaking for all vets and I have the physical limitations and pain from two wars and two expeditionary conflicts as a memento for my service.

View attachment 61087
I grew up with this image and have never found it offensive. John Carlos and Tommie Smith had a defined purpose, messaging ,and even the Australian in front, the Silver Medalist, is also wearing a Human Rights patch that Carlos and Smith wore (he did it to protest Australia's harsh anti-Aboriginal policies). These men were amateurs and in the end paid a terrible price. They even defied a request by Harry Edwards to boycott the Olympics, instead making a statement much more powerful by an order of magnitude over a simple boycott. Here is what Smith has said about what happened:

“I don’t like the idea of people looking at it as negative,” Smith said. “There was nothing but a raised fist in the air and a bowed head, acknowledging the American flag — not symbolizing a hatred for it.”

As you said, some vets might be bothered. Shouldn't the kneeling have stopped when even some of the vets took offense and believe it symbolizes disrespect to the USA?

Carlos and Smith sent a powerful message of self-empowerment, pride, and a forthright resolution to change things for the better.

You do realize that ANY protest of ANYTHING that isn't status quo is going to ruffle somebody's feathers? It can't be helped

You're entitled to your feelings. Mine differ

They are entitled to protest in a way that THEY see fit ...not just one that meets your approval ....as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

That may not please EVERYONE but in America we don't get to choose how someone else chooses to protest or vote.

I accept the fact that everyone else is not going to do or act the way I'd like them to... because they have free choice....and I also accept that I cannot impose my will and desires on others regardless of how "right" I feel I may be.

Its no use discussing this further, we obviously feel very differently on the subject.

I'd much rather focus on WHY they are protesting than PC policing them on how they are doing it.....and focusing on the "WHY" shouldn't divide Americans at all because we all want the same.

Have a good one

Last edited:

Sure, and so does a racist President calling black players mothers b!tches, the same President that called ***** "good people"!!!

So does a racist getting Chilis to call the police on black patrons to get them removed for no reason.

So does a racist asking a black mother for ID at a swimming pool.

So does a racist calling the police on a 12 Y/O because He cut a patch of her grass.

So does a racist that called the police on people BBQing at a park.

So does a racist calling the police on an 8 Y/0 lil' girl for selling bottled water.

And on...and on...and on!!!

View attachment 61087

Pretty funny post.

You think everyone was A-OK with the fist in the air? LMAOOOO

Advertisement

View attachment 61087

Divide and Conquer tactic (one black expression of protest was cool, but this new one is not). The same people saying this, hated the Olympic protest when it occurred saying it was the wrong way to protest. If I ignored history like I was advised to do earlier, I wouldn’t have been able to snuff out this divide and conquer post. See how that works..

View attachment 61087

Like I said before people will find a reason to get offended no matter what they do. Just because you for some strange reason think kneeling during the pledge is disrespectful for the vets doesn't mean they should stop doing it. They could kneel during the coin toss and people will start talking about how that disrespects the military because the coin says USA liberty on it.

Advertisement
You do realize that ANY protest of ANYTHING that isn't status quo is going to ruffle somebody's feathers? It can't be helped

You're entitled to your feelings. Mine differ

They are entitled to protest in a way that THEY see fit ...not just one that meets your approval ....as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

That may not please EVERYONE but in America we don't get to choose how someone else chooses to protest or vote.

I accept the fact that everyone else is not going to do or act the way I'd like them to... because they have free choice....and I also accept that I cannot impose my will and desires on others regardless of how "right" I feel I may be.

Its no use discussing this further, we obviously feel very differently on the subject.

I'd much rather focus on WHY they are protesting than PC policing them on how they are doing it.....and focusing on the "WHY" shouldn't divide Americans at all because we all want the same.

Have a good one

Well said. Sadly we do not all want the same though. There are plenty of people that support police brutality.

How is kneeling during the pledge telling veterans to go **** themselves? It was a vet that recomended that Kap start kneeling. Not only that, but those vets fought for their right to peacefully protest. If you want to live in a country like North Korea that forces people to pledge then that is your right and you can form your own protest. It brought massive awareness to police brutality. Everybody who hasn't been living under a rock now knows about the issue(some people don't care and would rather try and build up a straw man in order to deflect the message). No one kneeling is thinking "**** the vets". They could do other protests and people would find a way to try and claim the message is disrespectful to a certain group.

Massive awareness?

LOL lemme know how that works out

and if you can't see how taking a knee during a nations national anthem is disrespectful, your lack of self awareness needs to be modified. Having read now about the special forces guy that suggested it, I can't help but roll my eyes. That guy should have had the awareness to know that isn't gonna fly well

I had an issue with it long before trump said anything, he basically put the icing on the cake for the rest of the country.

besides wtf you gonna do huh? You just gonna kneel every time your own countries national anthem plays from here on out instead of doing what you're supposed to do? Exactly when do you plan on stopping this kneeling?

Oh the country that just 50 plus years ago allowed a man of color the same rights as white man....right? F the anthem if thats what it represents....gtfoh with that bled and died for crap....and thats to any military or veterans past or present....you're not going to war for my sake but for your country that allows such brutalities to go on....so what that make you....and to think....i thought we had the right to express ourselves. Its a game...it will go on whether you watch it or not

maybe go back to africa where they're kicking white people out in south africa for being.. white?

sounds like it's up your alley

maybe go back to africa where they're kicking white people out in south africa for being.. white?

sounds like it's up your alley
Most of us are not from Africa. Most of us “black people”, don’t know it but we are the indigenous peoples of Turtle Island or what’s now known as America. The Asian looking “Indian” that is popularly portrayed as the indigenous are truly later welcomed immigrants from Asia via the Bering Strait. Whether indigenous or forced here via TransAtlantic slavery, ALL of our ancestors have been on this land longer than yours, so who are you to tell anyone to leave?

What you need to concern yourself with is the history behind why you ended up here??? Why did your ancestors risk their lives sailing over the Atlantic Ocean to get here and fleeing the great Europe and it’s advanced “white” civilization. Why didn’t y’all stay to make Europe great again? It’s because your ancestors were the bottom of society, dirt broke, oppressed, disenfranchised and had nothing to lose JUST LIKE these Mexicans that y’all hate to immigrate here despite their ancestors seeing no line or border between their land mass and America’s for thousands of years before you created one for them. U came here and perpetrated the same oppression being dealt out to you, onto another group of indigenous people in their homeland 🤦🏾‍♂️.

The “white” people in South Africa are being forced to give back land and power that they stole by force via apartheid and colonization/colonialism. They are choosing to leave because without stolen, ill-gotten gains and advantage they don’t feel “great again”.

Then you mention Africa which is at least 5 times the size of America, and one of its smallest countries South Africa as if they are the same thing or like this is occurring everywhere in Africa (it should be or will be soon).

U need to pick up a book and not one suggested by the Compulsory Education System that you are an obvious victim of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back