OT - Game of Thrones S8

Gotta love the people on here *****in about first 2 episodes. There is always that one person or two. Let me guess...…...millennials!

Advertisement
Real talk, last night's episode was a disappointment. I get the whole "they're setting up the show for the battle" argument, but that was never the formula the first 7 seasons, they shouldn't alter what's been working thus far.

The good news is the last 4 episodes are each ~80 minutes long.
Seasons 5-7 are a different show to Seasons 1-4. You can't lump them all in together.

Seasons 5-7 are a different show to Seasons 1-4. You can't lump them all in together.
S8 e1 and e2 could have been combined into one 80 minute episode to get the fluff out of the way. Last night's episode was weak and didn't even address what's going on in King's Landing.

Advertisement
S8 e1 and e2 could have been combined into one 80 minute episode to get the fluff out of the way. Last night's episode was weak and didn't even address what's going on in King's Landing.
Disagree - and this is coming from someone who is hugely disappointed about how the show has turned out post Martin doing his job and writing the books.

The start of Season 8 has been as good as I could have hoped - the characters need time to breathe before they all die next week.

Advertisement
I’m in the minority here but these 2 episodes were two of my favorite of all time. So many things happening that we waited so long for. So many long awaited reunions/meetings. You know now that it is all out of the way they’re about to murk EVERYONE! And honestly the Tormund scenes alone made this last episode great.

Advertisement
I’m in the minority here but these 2 episodes were two of my favorite of all time. So many things happening that we waited so long for. So many long awaited reunions/meetings. You know now that it is all out of the way they’re about to murk EVERYONE! And honestly the Tormund scenes alone made this last episode great.

Tormund is on a hunt for Ser Brienne lol, my dawg put it all on the table

Advertisement
Gotta love the people on here *****in about first 2 episodes. There is always that one person or two. Let me guess...…...millennials!

I agree, but I wouldn't put it on Millennials. Just dudes wanting 6 episodes of heads getting chopped lol. It's no different in how this season is starting compared to most seasons.

I love me some Thrones, but its clear the showrunners and writers of this show are completely phoning it in...going through the greatest hits, getting to the end, and moving on.

The show was so well done up to the point they got to material from A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons...the material in there is not great for TV, and considering the length it has taken GRRM to produce a follow up with The Winds of Winter tells me that this dude doesn't know where the F he is going with this show and its shown in the direction of the show. Now, your point in time where Thrones has jumped the shark likely varies, but the show is - critically - slop. Poorly acted and loosely tied together with **** writing.

The leads (Clarke and Harrington) really can not do the heavy lifting the dialogue needs to move this **** along and your characters built for exposition (Samwell and Bran) are not written well enough at this point to move all this forward in a succinct manner.

first two episodes low key stunk...but they've put a lot of stock, time, energy, and money into the second Battle at Winterfell, so I hope next episode hits a homerun as eye candy.

I expect the bodies to hit the floor next episode, but because I find the show to have lost its balls long ago, I don't expect a mass extinction of main characters and I expect a lot of the ancillary characters to stick around, too.

Its all fan fiction and fan service.

The big reveals and plot points have been written and theorized long before the show began and they are just putting them together here to wrap this **** up.

If you're down for the fan service, you probably are loving this ****. I just hoped for a little creative freedom by the writers and some better execution. Give me a little surprise. I haven't been blown away by the show for a while, with only a few moments where I've popped for a cool moment - Ice Dragon for example.

Wasn't feeling the last two episodes at all...but I know why they are in the flyover pattern right now.

The Arya scene last night with Gendry was filth Twilight-esque fan fiction.

I feel like they couldve trimmed about 20 mins from each of the first two episodes and combined what's left into one.

I dont think any of the characters who were spotlighted last night die deaths would have any less impact had we skipped over alot of this stuff.

My worry now is more rushing to tie up loose ends.

Think we may be in store for a LOTR/ Hobbit ending w lots of time jumps.

Advertisement
Back