OT - Floyd Mayweather

D

deleted19425

" Floyd Mayweather announced on Sunday night at a Tokyo press conference that he will participate in a fight in the Rizin Fighting Federation on Dec. 31 in Japan. Promoters are still working on the specific rule set."

Advertisement
SMH.

Seeing him fight Canelo again, Spence, Bud, or any other legit fighter between 147 and 160 is just a pipe dream.

I will be honest. I love the idea behind Rizin. I think the no drug testing is awesome. I think the crazy entrances the fighters do is awesome. However, if Mayweather competes in an MMA match I will know they fix matches and will be more hesitant to watch their events. 0 Chance Mayweather fights in MMA without having a gaurunteed outcome. There is 0 chance they are going to be able to pay even close to what he usually gets for his fights. He would make more money fighting Kabib or some other BS easy boxing match.

Advertisement
As a huge combat Sports fan, I actually watch Rizin, Glory, Bellator, UFC etc, a lot & love Kickboxing.

Floyd is fighting the 20 year old Japanese phenom Tenshin Nasukawa who's an absolute beast Kickboxing champion with a 27-0 record, plus 4-0 in MMA with a Black belt Kyokushin Karate. He's one of my favorite fighters on the scene & young international star in the making, kid has been an elite Striker since he was 15.

The only issue I have is this seems kinda gimmicky, Tenshin is a natural Flyweight & Bantamweight, plus he's only 5'4. Floyd is much bigger than he is, so if he really wants to jump into MMA idk why he would take such a smaller fighter.

If Floyd is serious about becoming a MMA fighter, he should focus on becoming a Black Belt in BJJ, his Boxing is good enough to where he can compete standing up, but if he learned some grappling techniques & submissions even this late in his career he could be a pretty good at MMA given his natural fighter DNA.

Read an article a few weeks ago the only reason he is fighting is because he has lost over 50 million betting in Vegas since his last fight.

As a huge combat Sports fan, I actually watch Rizin, Glory, Bellator, UFC etc, a lot & love Kickboxing.

Floyd is fighting the 20 year old Japanese phenom Tenshin Nasukawa who's an absolute beast Kickboxing champion with a 27-0 record, plus 4-0 in MMA with a Black belt Kyokushin Karate. He's one of my favorite fighters on the scene & young international star in the making, kid has been an elite Striker since he was 15.

The only issue I have is this seems kinda gimmicky, Tenshin is a natural Flyweight & Bantamweight, plus he's only 5'4. Floyd is much bigger than he is, so if he really wants to jump into MMA idk why he would take such a smaller fighter.

If Floyd is serious about becoming a MMA fighter, he should focus on becoming a Black Belt in BJJ, his Boxing is good enough to where he can compete standing up, but if he learned some grappling techniques & submissions even this late in his career he could be a pretty good at MMA given his natural fighter DNA.
I think its too late to develop even passable MMA grappling skills at this point in his career. Any top 50 guy would steamroll Floyd under full MMA rules.

Taking on a skilled kickboxer and allowing them to kick would be the sort of gimmick he could be competitive in and still get a good draw.

Advertisement
If it is an actual MMA or kickboxing style contest, Floyd will get sent to the hospital.

He could have competed (probably quite well) with the appropriate training and experience, but wont have near enough to close the gap.

He'd get destroyed by any mid - high level grappler. His only chance is a quick knockout. No guard passing skills, no takedown defense, lol. It'd be a joke. Once Floyd gets taken to the floor, he will get tapped - no if and or but about it.

Mayweather has one of the worst styles for MMA though. An elite slugger or boxer puncher would fair a lot better in MMA since even the mma fighters with elite chins would get KOd even by a solid jab from one of those guys. It is very hard to takedown someone without first engaging with strikes and even harder when the guy could knock you out with even a grazing blow.

Mayweather has one of the worst styles for MMA though. An elite slugger or boxer puncher would fair a lot better in MMA since even the mma fighters with elite chins would get KOd even by a solid jab from one of those guys. It is very hard to takedown someone without first engaging with strikes and even harder when the guy could knock you out with even a grazing blow.

**** kid, you know your ****.. I was a boxer puncher, with a good chin, and my game plan was all timing. But my kicking game.... is in the basement, LOL... plus I’m old, I’m biting people ears off, that’s right, just like Tyson!!

Advertisement
**** kid, you know your ****.. I was a boxer puncher, with a good chin, and my game plan was all timing. But my kicking game.... is in the basement, LOL... plus I’m old, I’m biting people ears off, that’s right, just like Tyson!!

LMFAO **** it. Biting works! That was my style as well!! Lol! For real though that is the best style to transition to MMA with. Mayweathers Philly shell wouldn't work as well with the tiny gloves and being sideways with less weight on the front leg makes you very susceptible to single leg takedowns. The thing is though Mayweather would be considered a power puncher by MMA standards especially if he went back down to one of the lower weight classes. Also, Mayweather has a history of hurting his hand thats why up until recently he only used "winning brand" boxing gloves. I can't imagine his hands would hold up in the smaller gloves with less tape.

Ugh.. Its going to be a joke. Money talks, bull**** walks.

Used to compete MMA as an amatuer. Miss it. Work 90 hrs a week, 1000 miles from my dojang, so no go.

I wasn't a brawler; was a gutter snipe surgeon. We had a tongue in cheek joke back then that we were the 2nd coming of Cobra Kai. xD

Third guy from the left. Was at a Bellator event. Hard to be 6'4, 220 and be the smallest guy in the picture, lol.
36476709_10214708125591684_8728633310919524352_o.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with that, I don't think he would win in a fair fight at all without somehow the rules being in his favor, I just think his hand speed would be enough to open up his opponents with punches if he establishes the jab.

His biggest issue is he has no takedown ability & I doubt he has any martial arts coordination, so a true Martial artist like Tenshin would pick him apart with kicks & flying knees.

I just don't get why Floyd wants to fight a Flyweight, that's why I question the seriousness of the whole fight lol.

Advertisement
Guess he needs more money for reading lessons. To bad he never fought any of the good fighters when they were young. he always waited till they were out of their prime

Mayweather does one thing really really well, Box. MMA guys, are all around fighters the vast majority of which have been wrestling their whole lives. Mayweather will not come close to beating even a good high school wrestler on the mat.

I agree with that, I don't think he would win in a fair fight at all without somehow the rules being in his favor, I just think his hand speed would be enough to open up his opponents with punches if he establishes the jab.

His biggest issue is he has no takedown ability & I doubt he has any martial arts coordination, so a true Martial artist like Tenshin would pick him apart with kicks & flying knees.

I just don't get why Floyd wants to fight a Flyweight, that's why I question the seriousness of the whole fight lol.

I assume it has to do with Mayweather being most comfortable when he was fighting at around 130(he actually had solid power at that weight). I don't think PBF will actually cut down to 126 to fight him and will probably do a catch weight. I think if the fight stays standings PBF will wreck him. PBF is 10x the athlete Tenshin is and will be way to fast for Tenshin to actually land one of his kicks on mayweather unless he establishes his punching game first(which will be impossible he would KOd early if he goes that route). Tenshin has enough ground game to straight dominate if he can get the fight to the ground. I think that is his only chance(unless mayweather has massively slowed down since retiring).

Trying to establish a jab in MMA without a TD defense is going to be tough. All the fighter needs to do is eat 1 jab and clinch up. From there it is over. That is why I would have more confidence in a slugger or someone with power transitioning to MMA.

Advertisement
Back