OT: First video from Mars

That quote is in reference to planet earth and water, if I’m not mistaken.

it's his email to me. and it refers to earth, yes.

but his point, and the thesis that is accepted among the scientific community, is that the presence of water would not need to be on earth or an earth like planet. the physical laws of the universe are just that. there is no difference in physics, chemistry, etc. based on where in the observable universe you are standing. electrons have the same spin, lithium, the same atomic number, photons the same speed through space.

the same applies to biology, although the verification is a lot harder, obviously, but the modeling is the same. (note this doesn't mean there is not some other foundational construct for life. life forms based on certain types of methane, for example, has been theorized).

nevertheless, anyone in the scientific community will tell you that it's an axiom: find water. on earth, mars, or in galaxy GN-z-11 (the most distant in the universe), .... and you'll find some life form.

Advertisement
@LeedsCane, I found a couple more pictures from Mars.

View attachment 143662
View attachment 143664

(in my Spock voice)

Yesssss...yessssss...

1613774260222.png

it's his email to me. and it refers to earth, yes.

but his point, and the thesis that is accepted among the scientific community, is that the presence of water would not need to be on earth or an earth like planet. the physical laws of the universe are just that. there is no difference in physics, chemistry, etc. based on where in the observable universe you are standing. electrons have the same spin, lithium, the same atomic number, photons the same speed through space.

the same applies to biology, although the verification is a lot harder, obviously, but the modeling is the same. (note this doesn't mean there is not some other foundational construct for life. life forms based on certain types of methane, for example, has been theorized).

nevertheless, anyone in the scientific community will tell you that it's an axiom: find water. on earth, mars, or in galaxy GN-z-11 (the most distant in the universe), .... and you'll find some life form.

Right but it doesn’t guarantee that where there has been water there is necessarily life, outside of earth.

That’s actually why NASA is spending billions of dollars to send a spaceship to Mars, and try to collect information to see if they can prove the existence of some form of microbial life on the red planet.

And if they don’t find anything, I don’t think it excludes the possibility of there being life elsewhere. And if they do find something, I promise you some people theorize in the scientific community that that particular life might not be independent of earth life. Why would I say that? Because you can find pieces of Mars on earth just like you can find pieces of earth on Mars. So someone could postulate that the building block of life came from one planet to the other or vice versa. It’s a longshot, but it’s possible.

In any event, I’m going to guess that there is no sign of life anywhere else in this solar system. But based on the vastness of the universe, and the billions of galaxies, and now we know the billions of planets that exist, that statistically speaking there is a strong probability of life on some other planets. It may be something that’s common throughout the universe, or it may be rare. But I believe that it does exist.

I also believe in the laws of physics, and the likelihood of two civilizations ever contacting each other is extremely small due to the vastness of space and the distances that would have to be covered.

Not exceeding the speed of light is a real bltch, that’s what holds all intelligent civilizations back.

Advertisement
Advertisement
A truly amazing moment. First video ever from another planet.

I love your enthusiasm (for space, not the schtick), however I'm pretty sure that 1) the image is from the older rover Curiosity and 2) That sound ain't real.

But!

Perseverance will have much better cameras AND microphones AND for the terraforming fans out there a device called MOXIE that will attempt to extract CO2 from the atmosphere and produce oxygen (told that it's not enough oxygen to keep a small dog alive. A strange form of measurement, but I digress), and so much more. Like, this is an actual photo taken from the EDL jetpack as it's lowering this dunebuggy-sized laboratory down to Mars via sky crane. How cool is that!

1613783135822.png

Advertisement

If you’re laughing because that particular video is not from the current rover, Perseverance, then OK.

Because it’s from an old cobbled together video of a prior rover that was on Mars. @GoCanes should amend to let people know that was some jerk on Twitter trying to get hits and likes, and that it is not accurate.

But if you don’t believe that we actually have a spaceship that landed on Mars, you’re falling for that really sad and uneducated group of people that are constantly finding false conspiracy theories in everything.

Advertisement
NASA's fiscal year 2020 budget was $22.629 billion (which is about the GDP of Iceland), so I'm not too sure we want them handling all government budgeting either, lol.

Laziest comparison i've seen. Iceland has the population of orlando.

Advertisement
Back