OT: First video from Mars

You know I love your animations...you should put 15-0 on the spaceship and then have the 2 aliens arguing over 8-3, bro.
All of this arguing is exhausting. I came up with something where they’re slurping each other.

5F283F33-2BFB-4A55-B7D4-D9BA6776BC1E.gif

Advertisement
That’s on a dried lake bed, where there may be clues as to whether there is, or has ever been, life on Mars.

There is strong evidence that there was flowing water on Mars at one time, which could mean that there could’ve been life on Mars at one time, or there may be some form of microbial life in the sediment, although I don’t think scientists think that it is very likely that there’s current life. But maybe billions of years ago there was

let me pipe in with the biologist answer, as told to me from my uncle who is one of the lead research scientists in the field and connected to both The Mars Science Labaratory (MSL) mission that led the Curiosity rover project, as well as the Europa Clipper project.

"it's all about liquid water. there is NO place on this planet, where there is liquid water, but life doesn't exist. Regardless of the harshness of the environment, temperature, light, chemical composition, toxicity, pressure, environmental volatility, none of that matters. The ONLY thing that matters is water. Where there's water there's some form of life. And that's true everywhere we look. So it's almost mathematically impossible for a planet to have liquid water, or to have had liquid water at some point, and not have/had biological manifestation. Find the water. .... That's the whole game, .... and then you find what you're ultimately looking for."

Advertisement
let me pipe in with the biologist answer, as told to me from my uncle who is one of the lead research scientists in the field and connected to both The Mars Science Labaratory (MSL) mission that led the Curiosity rover project, as well as the Europa Clipper project.

"it's all about liquid water. there is NO place on this planet, where there is liquid water, but life doesn't exist. Regardless of the harshness of the environment, temperature, light, chemical composition, toxicity, pressure, environmental volatility, none of that matters. The ONLY thing that matters is water. Where there's water there's some form of life. And that's true everywhere we look. So it's almost mathematically impossible for a planet to have liquid water, or to have had liquid water at some point, and not have/had biological manifestation. Find the water. .... That's the whole game, .... and then you find what you're ultimately looking for."

That quote is in reference to planet earth and water, if I’m not mistaken.

And deal with deforestation?!

Besides, some problems should be solved rather than avoided.
Agreed.

Though I doubt we’d be able to agree on what those problems are and how they might be solved. So, in lieu of a dissertation, I will bid you a fair adieu my fellow cane.

Advertisement
NASA's fiscal year 2020 budget was $22.629 billion (which is about the GDP of Iceland), so I'm not too sure we want them handling all government budgeting either, lol.
That's because they beholden to their corporate/stockholders desired profit margins. Then to make it better you don't have to pay taxes. Talk about helping common people thru a pandemic and one side loses their *****.

Agreed.

Though I doubt we’d be able to agree on what those problems are and how they might be solved. So, in lieu of a dissertation, I will bid you a fair adieu my fellow cane.
I think you'd be surprised, but you have a good evening.

Medicare waste, fraud and abuse was 28.91 billion in 2019.
What you got against Rick Scott? Who you think committing all this fraud? I know a Midlevel Exec that works for a major insurance company. He told me they have a whole divisions that offer a BS program to their members solely for the purpose of billing Medicare. Stop blaming regular people for waste, fraud and abuse. It's your wealthy and corporations that are bilking public programs.

Advertisement
Look, I love you, but that's a hot, steaming pile of BULLSH!TE.

First, you do not have a "choice" to buy from a waste-free, fraud-free, abuse-free corporation. They don't exist. And even if one did, you'd have no means or ability to differentiate.

Second, you always have a choice in government. Vote the scoundrels out. If they are Republicans, put in Democrats. If they are Democrats, put in Republicans. The choice may not be perfect, but there is a choice.

And, as Neil Peart beautifully stated it, if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Finally, you missed the point entirely. Both "government" and "corporations" are run by PEOPLE. People are the ones who commit all of the waste and fraud and abuse. Not "the government". Not "corporations". But the people who run each of those institutions.

Thus, through human greed, incompetence, and selfishness, all large entities are susceptible to waste, fraud, and abuse. Making it ridiculous to be mad at government, while exhibiting no comparable frustration/anger towards corporations.

Medicare waste/fraud/abuse might have been 29 billion in one year. Do you honestly believe that all of the waste/fraud/abuse in medical-hospital-pharmaceutical-health insurance companies doesn't dwarf that? Come on, now.

If you want to be butt-hurt all the time because you don't think you have a "choice" in government, that's up to you. But I guaran-*******-tee you that every single time you get food, buy a product, or purchase a service, a healthy chunk of every single one of your expenditures is subsidizing corporate waste, fraud, and abuse.

I've been working for large publicly-traded corporations for 20 years. You have to hold your nose and tolerate the nonsense just as much in the corporate world as you do in the governmental world.

There's no difference. People suck.
Facts!!!
You can clear the rain forest. Plant corn and use the Amazon basin to water it. Then raise millions of heads of cows and provide antibiotics and medical care.
Slaughter them and process the meat. Put it in a truck then out it in a ship and sail it across the ocean. Then put it back on a truck and send these meat to a processing factory and make it into a burger patty.
Then put it on a another truck to your local fast food restaurant and sell it for 99cents.

But if I want to buy a head of lettuce from an organic farm in Homestead at a local farmers market that sht is 12 dollars.
Anyone who thinks government welfare ain’t real and that it actually stiffens independent business isn’t paying attention.
Don’t even get me started on oil subsidies.

i know it’s a little off topic on what you were discussing but people spew sht like this without the basic understanding of big government and big corporations and then want to act like individual choice and free will don’t factor into anything at all.

Advertisement
What you got against Rick Scott? Who you think committing all this fraud? I know a Midlevel Exec that works for a major insurance company. He told me they have a whole divisions that offer a BS program to their members solely for the purpose of billing Medicare. Stop blaming regular people for waste, fraud and abuse. It's your wealthy and corporations that are bilking public programs.
This thread is already veering and getting moved to the Sports forum, but there's more than enough blame to go around.

I am blaming the wealthy and corporations. Who exactly do you think bills Medicare for one.?

Facts!!!
You can clear the rain forest. Plant corn and use the Amazon basin to water it. Then raise millions of heads of cows and provide antibiotics and medical care.
Slaughter them and process the meat. Put it in a truck then out it in a ship and sail it across the ocean. Then put it back on a truck and send these meat to a processing factory and make it into a burger patty.
Then put it on a another truck to your local fast food restaurant and sell it for 99cents.

But if I want to buy a head of lettuce from an organic farm in Homestead at a local farmers market that sht is 12 dollars.
Anyone who thinks government welfare ain’t real and that it actually stiffens independent business isn’t paying attention.
Don’t even get me started on oil subsidies.
Corn and sugar are two of the very worst.

Speaking as someone that admires science and reason, I'm happy to be alive when something like this is happening. One wonders the world-awe in '69 when Neil Armstrong landed on the moon.

I doubt I'll live long enough, but I hope to one day see the first steps to colonize Mars if it's feasible. I'll probably be near a hundred and two loose marbles rolling around in my head, but to see humanity step beyond our planet and into the universe; I could die happy knowing that.

Advertisement
Back