OT: Fight Game Question

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
I know there are several fight game fans on here with deep knowledge. In light of McGregor's latest tweet to Mike Tyson, got me thinking...

Question:
Could an Iron Mike style boxer beat Mayweather?

Obviously, Tyson would murder him--that sint my question.

What am asking if there were an Iron Mike in Floyd's world, would he beat him?

Thoughts??

Advertisement
I am not a fight guy but I tend to follow the golden rule of not going against team or dude who has not been beat, so no.

Advertisement
I know there are several fight game fans on here with deep knowledge. In light of McGregor's latest tweet to Mike Tyson, got me thinking...

Question:

Thoughts??
yes

Question:

Thoughts??
Yes, if Floyd had the balls to fight him in his prime.

I love Floyd, and yes he is undefeated, but this dude got so good at getting money that he left a little on the table for question as far as his legacy IMO.

Styles make fights

Very few fighters in history have had the ability to fight and succeed against any style. Floyd is one of them. That being said, he still beat Jose Luis Castillo in a controversial UD early in his career (most think he lost) at a time when Castillo was in his prime and Floyd was still approaching his. He also struggled against Maidana, albeit now on the other side of his prime. Both opponents had power and the stamina to apply constant pressure.

If we agree that his best weight is 147 and then ask who (if any) would be able to beat him if both fighters were to meet in their primes, this would be my short list of guys that have fought post 1980:

Sugar Ray Leonard
Tommy Hearns
Vernon Forrest
Paul Williams
Jose Luis Castillo
Terence Crawford
Oscar De La Hoya

All of them have certain things in common...size, an ability to throw punches in combinations and consistently for 12 rounds, and power. I did not list Maidana because while I give him a ton of credit (he continually threw overhand rights that would make Butterbean blush) and gave everything he had. But Floyd was past his prime-if both fought in their prime I think Floyd has the legs to stay out of harm's way and make it a boring victory.

Of the fighters listed, I think all pose legitimate threats and each bring a different strength to the table that would force Floyd to adapt:

Sugar Ray: Insane speed
Hearns: Power w/length
Forrest: Length + ability to attack/counter with power
Williams: Ridiculous length + limitless stamina (100+ punches per round for 12 easily) AND a southpaw
Castillo: 12 round power
Crawford: Jack of all trades, power, stamina
Oscar: Size + world class jab

Floyd vs. SRL
-This would have controversial decision written all over it. Both guys are so smart that they would be playing high speed chess for 12 rounds. Trying to set traps for the other, etc. It would probably have some exciting moments but the average fan would find it boring.

Floyd vs. Hearns
-Floyd would have his hands full for the first 5-6 rounds. If Shane Mosley could catch him twice at almost 40 years old, a prime Hearns would have a very good chance to test Floyd's chin. Ultimately I think he would take a UD or MD vs Hearns

Floyd vs. Forrest
-This would be interesting for sure. For as bad as Vernon looked (and completely lost) vs Mayorga...go back to the first thing I said "styles make fights". Both guys are world class boxers, so I dont see Vernon getting confused in this, and I think he would have the length and smarts to make it interesting. I'd lean Floyd but as with SRL this one might end up in controversy.

Floyd vs. Williams
-You can all say I am crazy. This fight would be fun as **** to watch because Paul Williams would give Floyd problems with his length and volume of punches, causing him to fall into an early hole. We would finally get to see him have to dig deep and come forward, either looking for the KO or at minimum looking to put Paul on the canvas to try and make up the gap. Unless he catches him he loses a UD. No shot he would have EVER taken this fight. And I don't consider Floyd to be a dodger or cherry picker at all. He fought basically everyone (except Manny) and was no more or less smart about his matchmaking than any other champion. Very few fighters go against conventional wisdom and are willing to fight anyone, anywhere.

Floyd vs. Castillo
-If you saw the second fight between these two I think it would be closer to what happens if both are in there prime. While Castillo could give him a challenge I would have Floyd by UD, coasting in the final rounds.

Floyd vs. Crawford
-Crawford would find a way to make this fight interesting. No way he let's Floyd make it a boring fight. He has always shown an ability to adjust on the fly...and he almost looks as comfortable fighting southpaw than he does conventional at times. I think Floyd would take a UD or MD, but it would be close.

Floyd vs. Oscar
-We definitely got to see a prime Floyd when they matched up, but Oscar was clearly past his prime. In his prime, Oscar would give Floyd just as much of a challenge with his jab as he did when they actually fought. But just as he did so many times in his career, how could you not expect him to inexplicably stop throwing his jab and take his foot off the gas? If the guy that fought Vargas shows up, all bets are off. Otherwise, I'd take Floyd by UD or MD.

Advertisement
As for Manny Pacquiao...I love Manny and he has many of the characteristics that would give Floyd trouble (southpaw, power, constant punching and combinations, pressure)...but I don't think he would have had the size to truly punish and pressure Floyd. It is certainly telling that he did everything he could to avoid Manny when both were in their primes, so maybe actions speak louder than words? I just think he would have had the legs and with the size advantage, the ability to stave off Manny for 12 rounds and take a UD.

You can not hit Mayweather clean. On the scant few times he's been starched, its barely phased him. He's got a surprising chin.

Also, he'll take you the distance every time. If you can't put him on his *** in 2-3 rounds (hasn't happened yet), he's putting the dancing shoes on and is going to work you over and coast on you with 10-9 rounds until its over. He's too good for anyone to put actual pressure on him throughout the entire fight. He'll dance around the pressure and tire you out as you chase him around.

Advertisement
You can not hit Mayweather clean. On the scant few times he's been starched, its barely phased him. He's got a surprising chin.

Also, he'll take you the distance every time. If you can't put him on his *** in 2-3 rounds (hasn't happened yet), he's putting the dancing shoes on and is going to work you over and coast on you with 10-9 rounds until its over. He's too good for anyone to put actual pressure on him throughout the entire fight. He'll dance around the pressure and tire you out as you chase him around.
I thought that shot Shane gave him would of been trouble.... Floyd was never hit like that again in that fight

Floyd would just run the entire fight while scoring powerless shots and tiring out his heavy handed opponent. Its really just slapdancing.

Wrong. There is a reason all of these solid chin fighters like canelo don't just eat his shots, corner him, and knock him out. Mayweather is not an aggressive KO artist, but he does not land "powerless shots", but I can see why someone who knows nothing about boxing would think that. His straight right is brutal and if you actually watch any of his fights. Every time he lands it, his opponents back tf off. If they were powerless, like malignaggi, people would just brush it off and smother him. He also is fighting multiple classes above his natural weight. That shot used to KO a ton of people in his natural weight class.

Advertisement
As for OP. Mayweather hates fighting people like Tyson. He never fought those types of fighters when they are in their prime. If we could somehow shrink tyson, increase his speed, weaken his power, etc. Him in his prime would beat PBF. PBF would never fight him in that scenario though, he would find a way to dodge it.

Wrong. There is a reason all of these solid chin fighters like canelo don't just eat his shots, corner him, and knock him out. Mayweather is not an aggressive KO artist, but he does not land "powerless shots", but I can see why someone who knows nothing about boxing would think that. His straight right is brutal and if you actually watch any of his fights. Every time he lands it, his opponents back tf off. If they were powerless, like malignaggi, people would just brush it off and smother him. He also is fighting multiple classes above his natural weight. That shot used to KO a ton of people in his natural weight class.

He's had 5 KO's since 2001. Stop. I'm not saying he can't knock someone out i'm saying he'd rather dancing slapbox. That's his style. Lame as ****.

He's had 5 KO's since 2001. Stop. I'm not saying he can't knock someone out i'm saying he'd rather dancing slapbox. That's his style. Lame as ****.

Stick to football, because you don't know schit about boxing. Every man likes to think they know the basics of fighting, so I understand why you feel the need to give your opinion, but you are flat out wrong.

You are saying 2 different things now. The amount of KOs he has, has literally nothing to do with how powerful his shots are.

His shots have power behind them and they hurt. The thing is, he is a counter puncher. He is rarely going to go on the offensive and try to KO and injured fighter. Because of this, fighters back off, as soon as he they get drilled with one of his straight rights.

You see it time and time again. Fighters come out aggressive against him, try to push him into a corner, get drilled with a shot, then they back off and try to "box" with him the remainder of the fight. One of the few fighters to not do this, was arturo Gatti, who has one of the greatest chins in boxing history, and he would have been KOd in the 7th had his trainer not thrown the towel in, in the 6th.

Saying Mayweather slap boxes, or anything like that, is moronic at best. Mayweather lands power shots, other fighters just stop pressuring him after catching a few of those, because they don't want to be KOd them self.

Yep, he's got just enough pop to make people wary of his punches. That's all he needs with his other gifts.

Advertisement
Back