OT: Expansion

I don't disagree with your points. With that said, how did winner take all work out for baseball's ratings?

While March Madness 64 is excessive wrt to football, tough to argue against at a minimum each FBS conference champ doesn't make the post season.

Dismantle the bowls, let's get an expanded post season experience.

Agree to disagree.

I don't need to see 2-3 more weeks of Alabama and Clemson games.

The current system allows for multiple teams to get the spotlight during bowl seasons. And there is value in an amateur sport making sure they get exposure for the most programs possible.

If you just want to watch the elite, stick with the NFL, IMO.

And comparing basketball to football isn't close to being fair. They expanded the basketball tournament because they already had the dates and neutral venues locked up. So, adding games was easy.

You can't do that with football. The only way to expand the playoffs, without extra burden on fans, is to give higher seeds more home games. And that's just the rich getting richer. No thanks!

Advertisement
This.

F[]ck Notre Dame and their special handling as an independent. No idea why the conferences tolerate the NCAA inclusion of Notre Dame "if ranked high enough".

In my opinion, they shouldn't even be in top 4 this year. Not because they aren't good enough, but because they purposefully have less risk (e.g. no conf champ game) than the other participants. In that respect, Notre Dame's path to CFP is the easiest of all.

Complete and total garbage.
Because its always about money and Note Dame has a large, affluent fan base.

People talk up how sweet the regular season is but there are usually 3 crap games and at most 3 good games. The season is overrated as is. I want playoffs and more teams. I am tired of a selection committee with their politics influencing championships. Widen the field and let it be settled on the field.

Advertisement
12 Regular Season Games
1 Conf Championship Game
13 Games

16 Team Playoff = 4 Games

I don't see a 17 game college season to win the National Championship.

Under a 16 team playoff the advantage would go to the teams that didn't make it to the conference championship game as far as getting players well again and playing one less game. The NCAA would also have to rework extra practice time for the 16 playoff teams.

12 regular season games, a conference championship and then a tournament where you have to win 3 games is too much. 16 games is a NFL schedule. If you remove one regular season game, then perhaps it can work. The power 5 conference champs get an automatic bid and then committee can decide on the other three wild cards.

FCS plays 16 games to win, plus only 2 teams will actually play that many. I could go for more meaningful bowl games. though im sure conference champs will get an automatic bid, I dont think that should happen. It should be based on the committee rankings, though Im sure they will make conf champs automatic qualifiers if they do expand

I think going to 8 is the right move. Get rid of conference championship games. The existing bowl structure stays and how can you really complain about being left out if you finish 9th.

They should leave it as it is. The goal was to get the 2 best teams to play each other to end the season. Selecting 4 teams is the best route to that goal.

Never, in the history of the game, have people believed there are 8 legitimate teams that can win the title in a given season.
U make a good point, but I disagree w it. The more the merrier as far as I’m concerned. The problem I do have is that a 16 team playoff would render the regular season meaningless... and cfb has the best regular season in sports.

Advertisement
They should leave it as it is. The goal was to get the 2 best teams to play each other to end the season. Selecting 4 teams is the best route to that goal.

Never, in the history of the game, have people believed there are 8 legitimate teams that can win the title in a given season.

If that's the case the top 2 teams would have no problem navigating an 8 team playoff.

8 teams. No automatic for conference champs. If Pitt had somehow managed to beat Clemson, would you really want them in the playoffs? Maybe you would, but not me. OTOH, if you lose your conference championship, you are out. I want the “best” teams in the playoffs. 8 teams is plenty of room for that. There will always be arguments for the teams left out, but their argument will be weakened by having 8 ahead of them.

Say what you want about UCF's schedule/level of competition, but after going undefeated for 2 seasons they absolutely deserve a shot at the playoff. They'll never get in with the current 4 team format because they aren't a blue blood power school.
That's not the system's fault though - it's what everyone agreed to, Group of 5 schools included. The Group of 5 schools agreed upon getting a berth into one of the NY6 bowls (NOT THE PLAYOFF) for their highest ranked team, because they thought that would yield more money per year. Honestly, long term, that's the right play. However, no one banked on UCF having this 2 year run that they have.

Should UCF be #4 at least? That's definitely open for debate. But the system didn't ***** them because that's what everyone agreed to, and the Group of 5 schools didn't push to get an auto bid into it for one of their schools if they went undefeated and were conference champs...likely because the Power 5 would have never agreed to it.

These pro-UCF arguments aren't new, though - people have said the same things about Boise State when they were making their runs in the 00s. If Boise State truly wanted more of a shot at the playoffs or a national title, then join a Power 5 so the competition level can't be questioned.

Honestly - IMO, the best thing that could happen for the ACC would be to expand to include ND and UCF. Put ND in the Atlantic and UCF in the Coastal. ND gives Clemson some competition on that side of the conference, and UCF, if they win the Coastal, would get a chance at beating a Clemson/ND/FSU to play their way into the top 4 with no questions about the level of competition.

Advertisement
Tell that to Super Bowl Champions who entered post season via wild card slots.

Let it be settled on the field. Somewhere between 8-16 teams appears to be the right number. I lean towards 12-13 (all D1 conference champs and 1-2 at large picks)

Maybe we want the champion to be one of the best four teams and not some wild card team that got hot for one month.

Maybe we want the champion to be one of the best four teams and not some wild card team that got hot for one month.

You of course know definitively year after year, with zero dissension, as to who those chosen four teams are?

Please enlighten us all as to the nature of your divinity.

My original point being, of course, I believe four is too small, sixty-four outrageous, and twelve-thirteenish about right. I can be talked into eight, but not every conference champion would make it.

Advertisement
You of course know definitively year after year, with zero dissension, as to who those chosen four teams are?

Please enlighten us all as to the nature of your divinity.

My original point being, of course, I believe four is too small, sixty-four outrageous, and twelve-thirteenish about right. I can be talked into eight, but not every conference champion would make it.

WTF are you talking about?

The 12th or 13th ranked team has no business being in any kind of playoff to win a championship. If you like the NFL format, watch the NFL.

WTF are you talking about?

Something you clearly struggle comprehending.

Let me simplify for you.

D1 FBS, like it or not, is comprised of 10 conferences. That's fact.

No, I'm not counting the abomination that is the loosely categorized "independents conference".

Each of said 10 conferences produces a champion, granted in different ways, but a champions nonetheless.

So why does D1 FBS, through an arbitrary methodolgy that still leaves large parts of the market dissatisfied, exclude member's conference champions?

If D1 FBS has 10 conferences, then by all means they should have at least a 10 team tournament to settle, on the field of play, who comes out on top.

No system is perfect, but I believe the above better settles the question and satisfies the fans.

Something you clearly struggle comprehending.

Let me simplify for you.

D1 FBS, like it or not, is comprised of 10 conferences. That's fact.

No, I'm not counting the abomination that is the loosely categorized "independents conference".

Each of said 10 conferences produces a champion, granted in different ways, but a champions nonetheless.

So why does D1 FBS, through an arbitrary methodolgy that still leaves large parts of the market dissatisfied, exclude member's conference champions?

If D1 FBS has 10 conferences, then by all means they should have at least a 10 team tournament to settle, on the field of play, who comes out on top.

No system is perfect, but I believe the above better settles the question and satisfies the fans.

People like college football because it is different. No one wants to see Alabama vs. Middle Tennessee and Clemson vs. App State in the first round of the playoffs.

This along with the Ray Lewis thing makes you a troll or very dumb.

People like college football because it is different. No one wants to see Alabama vs. Middle Tennessee and Clemson vs. App State in the first round of the playoffs.

This along with the Ray Lewis thing makes you a troll or very dumb.

Wow. Considering I've humiliated you in every single other thread where you've stated your usual drivel, I take your words as a compliment.

When will you learn? Steep curve I suppose. Maybe even inverted.

Advertisement
Back