OT: Expansion

Advertisement
They should leave it as it is. The goal was to get the 2 best teams to play each other to end the season. Selecting 4 teams is the best route to that goal.

Never, in the history of the game, have people believed there are 8 legitimate teams that can win the title in a given season.

Advertisement
Nope - should leave it as-is. We could go to 60+ teams in the playoff, and there will still be teams complaining that they should have made it in, just like basketball.

We keep adding teams, it keeps diluting how much the regular season means. CFB's regular season is the most exciting in all of sports...putting more emphasis on the playoffs by expanding it takes away the week-to-week drama we all love.

That being said, it wouldn't shock me to see it go to 8 soon because it will be another cash grab by the NCAA powers-that-be.

Nope - should leave it as-is. We could go to 60+ teams in the playoff, and there will still be teams complaining that they should have made it in, just like basketball.

We keep adding teams, it keeps diluting how much the regular season means. CFB's regular season is the most exciting in all of sports...putting more emphasis on the playoffs by expanding it takes away the week-to-week drama we all love.

That being said, it wouldn't shock me to see it go to 8 soon because it will be another cash grab by the NCAA powers-that-be.

But... if they would just keep expanding every year Richt might make the playoffs by 2023.

Advertisement
Say what you want about UCF's schedule/level of competition, but after going undefeated for 2 seasons they absolutely deserve a shot at the playoff. They'll never get in with the current 4 team format because they aren't a blue blood power school.

Advertisement
They should leave it as it is. The goal was to get the 2 best teams to play each other to end the season. Selecting 4 teams is the best route to that goal.

Never, in the history of the game, have people believed there are 8 legitimate teams that can win the title in a given season.

Tell that to Super Bowl Champions who entered post season via wild card slots.

Let it be settled on the field. Somewhere between 8-16 teams appears to be the right number. I lean towards 12-13 (all D1 conference champs and 1-2 at large picks)

Tell that to Super Bowl Champions who entered post season via wild card slots.

Let it be settled on the field. Somewhere between 8-16 teams appears to be the right number. I lean towards 12-13 (all D1 conference champs and 1-2 at large picks)

The reason cfb is so popular is how important every game is , itll water the season down.

You’ll also have a bunch of three loss mediocre teams in.

Winning your conference should be a huge part of it.

Eight teams is more than enough , no need to dilute a playoff with average teams.

Advertisement
Force Notre Dame to join a conference full time in every sport. In my opinion....if you cant commit fully to a conference, then you should not be in one.

I think 8 team playoff is the best route!! Conference champion and 3 at large bids.

Conferences should not have divisions, top 2 from each conference plays each other, and possible make it easier to pick the at large bids. This will help in those situations where the other division winner has 3-4 loses.

In my mind....hard to put a team in the playoffs if that 3-4 loss team wins the conference championship. Just my opinion.

The reason cfb is so popular is how important every game is , itll water the season down.

You’ll also have a bunch of three loss mediocre teams in.

Winning your conference should be a huge part of it.

Eight teams is more than enough , no need to dilute a playoff with average teams.

I don't disagree with your points. With that said, how did winner take all work out for baseball's ratings?

While March Madness 64 is excessive wrt to football, tough to argue against at a minimum each FBS conference champ doesn't make the post season.

Dismantle the bowls, let's get an expanded post season experience.

Force Notre Dame to join a conference full time in every sport...

This.

F[]ck Notre Dame and their special handling as an independent. No idea why the conferences tolerate the NCAA inclusion of Notre Dame "if ranked high enough".

In my opinion, they shouldn't even be in top 4 this year. Not because they aren't good enough, but because they purposefully have less risk (e.g. no conf champ game) than the other participants. In that respect, Notre Dame's path to CFP is the easiest of all.

Complete and total garbage.

12 regular season games, a conference championship and then a tournament where you have to win 3 games is too much. 16 games is a NFL schedule. If you remove one regular season game, then perhaps it can work. The power 5 conference champs get an automatic bid and then committee can decide on the other three wild cards.

Advertisement
Back