OT: EA Sports College Football game

I mean, yeah, some big names could play the opt out game and demand money but 99% of FBS players would be in for free, let alone the $600 they’re getting for doing literally nothing. All it would do is make the opt out players look greedy.
I don’t think even the big names have leverage (outside of the future cover player). Like you said players can just edit anyone in. And I doubt EA want to set the precedent of negotiating with players. I saw a lot of people on Twitter today saying they didn’t give a dang who was in the game. They’ll be gone in dynast mode in 1-3 seasons anyway lol

Advertisement
EA could have made a decent college football game with zero likenesses and it still would have sold well. Obviously not as much as a version with real players but people would still buy the game even if Miami’s quarterback was named “Miami quarterback”
Are you sure?

Sort of begs the question then - why did they stop? because that’s exactly what they claimed they were doing until they got sued. And they waited a decade (until they finally negotiated all of the legalities behind obtaining nil) to release a new one.

Are you sure?

Sort of begs the question then - why did they stop? because that’s exactly what they claimed they were doing until they got sued. And they waited a decade (until they finally negotiated all of the legalities behind obtaining nil) to release a new one.
Because what they were doing could have gotten them sued. The whole “QB#4” thing where it was pretty much the player but not his name was technically NCAA legal but not necessarily going to hold up in court. You know they **** their pants when the whole Ed Obanon thing happened. It could have gotten really ugly if other players had pushed for a class action suit. They had to let the whole thing cool off. But let’s be real, they could have made a game with completely fictional rosters, like 8 years ago and it would have sold. It wouldn’t be what we’re going to get now but the market would have swallowed it up

Maybe not enough to effect sales, but there's more than a handful of guys who have enough leverage to negotiate. I can't see EA not wanting Shedeur and Ewers and Downs and... in the game - and you know they'd get sued if they try and put a "generic" player (with the same jersey, height/weight, abilities...) at QB1 for Colorado.

99% of the players will be happy with the $600. For the remaining ~100 or so guys, if EA wants to put out the best product they can, it's gonna take some work. At least until there actually is a CollegeFootballPlayersAssociation that can negotiate on all of the players' collective behalf (and even then, there will still be opt-outs - No MJ in any of the 90s era NBA games or Bonds after 2003 in MLB games) - but that's another argument for another day.
Or EA leverages the fans against the players and just removes the Opt outs from the roster totally. So play with Colorado with the back up QB. Now players will just add them in dynasty leagues but for H2H online they won’t be there. That’s gonna be EA’s approach. People want this game like no other we can give a **** if Sheduer is out we want the game not the handful of guys who Opt out

I'm not talking about the product really (gameplay). I'm talking about the players likeness.

I'm in the camp that the players likeness is almost worthless to the game. It's a nice addition, but not the deciding factor for a majority of ppl.
People forget how in every game past there was no names? We don’t care who’s in the game. I’m still buying

Advertisement
Or EA leverages the fans against the players and just removes the Opt outs from the roster totally. So play with Colorado with the back up QB. Now players will just add them in dynasty leagues but for H2H online they won’t be there. That’s gonna be EA’s approach. People want this game like no other we can give a **** if Sheduer is out we want the game not the handful of guys who Opt out
Exactly that - or they negotiate. This is mostly moot, because it seems everyone is opting in to the first one - but it's not exactly farfetched to think that, in the future, someone who is actively and seriously marketing their likeness (for a lot of money) will tell EA what they can do with their $600.

Because what they were doing could have gotten them sued. The whole “QB#4” thing where it was pretty much the player but not his name was technically NCAA legal but not necessarily going to hold up in court. You know they **** their pants when the whole Ed Obanon thing happened. It could have gotten really ugly if other players had pushed for a class action suit. They had to let the whole thing cool off. But let’s be real, they could have made a game with completely fictional rosters, like 8 years ago and it would have sold. It wouldn’t be what we’re going to get now but the market would have swallowed it up

I mostly agree, so I guess we’re just splitting hairs then on how big the market actually is for a college football simulation game. There’s like a dozen people on this thread, who are just a small portion of this very niche website, who represent the far right side of the bell curve with respect to the representative demand for the game - the last one sold barely 1million copies (the bestselling video game that year sold over 25 million).

I'd prefer if the game were as "realistic" as possible, but that's just me (I pretty much only played H2H and a little bit of online dynasty, the computer dynasty and road to glory stuff never got to me).

Advertisement
I've been playing college football on consoles a good bit if time.
1000006351.png

I've been playing college football on consoles a good bit if time.View attachment 283122
I played the **** out of College Football's NC on my sega. I preferred it to Bill Walsh because not every school was on board with those early iterations. On Walsh you'd have Tallahassee, South Bend, College Station, etc for alot of the big time schools. Plus you could remove your helmet and celebrate after touchdowns on CF's NC. It's the little things.

I played the **** out of College Football's NC on my sega. I preferred it to Bill Walsh because not every school was on board with those early iterations. On Walsh you'd have Tallahassee, South Bend, College Station, etc for alot of the big time schools. Plus you could remove your helmet and celebrate after touchdowns on CF's NC. It's the little things.
I agree. I have to say, I think it's fun to see it's all getting updated this year. Lol I've been waiting

Advertisement
My buddies and I used to battle on College Football’s National Championship daily. I can still hear the opening in my head with that terrible Sega “Sports Talk” voiceover. The one downside of that game was all the teams were roughly the same in terms of talent. The running back for Miami (Donnell Bennett) was just as fast as Colorado (Rashaan Salaam). I’d run “quick slant” over and over.

- the last one sold barely 1million copies (the bestselling video game that year sold over 25 million).
The top game that year is also the best selling video game ever so that’s a tough comparison. NCAA14 was the top selling game for 6 straight months though so it was popular.

Back in 2013 we were still getting a new NCAA game every year so lots of casuals weren’t buying them every year. Plus, it wasn’t given very good reviews. It probably would have just went down as another average sports title had it not been the last of the series.

It’s never going to sell like GTA but this year’s should easily surpass what the last game sold if only because it’s been so long and people are desperate. Especially with Madden being pretty much a running joke at this point.

Exactly that - or they negotiate. This is mostly moot, because it seems everyone is opting in to the first one - but it's not exactly farfetched to think that, in the future, someone who is actively and seriously marketing their likeness (for a lot of money) will tell EA what they can do with their $600.

I mostly agree, so I guess we’re just splitting hairs then on how big the market actually is for a college football simulation game. There’s like a dozen people on this thread, who are just a small portion of this very niche website, who represent the far right side of the bell curve with respect to the representative demand for the game - the last one sold barely 1million copies (the bestselling video game that year sold over 25 million).

I'd prefer if the game were as "realistic" as possible, but that's just me (I pretty much only played H2H and a little bit of online dynasty, the computer dynasty and road to glory stuff never got to me).
I just know EA has the leverage they did it to the schools like Bama and Notre Dame who weren’t in the game initially and the push back they got from their fans made them take the deal

Advertisement
People aren’t necessarily buying this game so they can play with sheduer sanders. They’re playing it so they can try to bring southern miss to a national championship in dynasty mode. They’re playing so they can get their customized player recruited in road to glory
I saw people buy 400$ Trump shoes. Do not tell me influence doesn't matter.

My buddies and I used to battle on College Football’s National Championship daily. I can still hear the opening in my head with that terrible Sega “Sports Talk” voiceover. The one downside of that game was all the teams were roughly the same in terms of talent. The running back for Miami (Donnell Bennett) was just as fast as Colorado (Rashaan Salaam). I’d run “quick slant” over and over.

Advertisement
Back