OT: EA Sports College Football game

The guys who could "opt out" Sanders, Ewers, Manning etc. will take the 600 to be in the game, but they will negotiate the "additional" NLI benefits of being the cover guy (I could see 10 or so covers you can buy online for the top 10 players). Each of those getting 10K or something like that. But to be in the game will be a strict 600. Each of the guys wanting more will wait until they are offered the additional benefits as well.

It's pretty brilliant as many will want to just be in the game to tell their friends and family about it. You only get big players that could really have cashed in during the past decades Johnny Football, VY, Tebow, Mannings, Moss, those guys all deserve more than 600 dollars to get them in the game because people bought those other games to play with those players and there are some players that would buy the game specifically to play with the difference makers

Advertisement
It’s possible but I doubt it. It’s double bad for players who opt out because not only are they not in the game but everyone knows why. I don’t think there’s a single player in college football that would significantly impact sales of the game tbh.
Maybe not enough to effect sales, but there's more than a handful of guys who have enough leverage to negotiate. I can't see EA not wanting Shedeur and Ewers and Downs and... in the game - and you know they'd get sued if they try and put a "generic" player (with the same jersey, height/weight, abilities...) at QB1 for Colorado.

99% of the players will be happy with the $600. For the remaining ~100 or so guys, if EA wants to put out the best product they can, it's gonna take some work. At least until there actually is a CollegeFootballPlayersAssociation that can negotiate on all of the players' collective behalf (and even then, there will still be opt-outs - No MJ in any of the 90s era NBA games or Bonds after 2003 in MLB games) - but that's another argument for another day.

Maybe not enough to effect sales, but there's more than a handful of guys who have enough leverage to negotiate. I can't see EA not wanting Shedeur and Ewers and Downs and... in the game - and you know they'd get sued if they try and put a "generic" player (with the same jersey, height/weight, abilities...) at QB1 for Colorado.

99% of the players will be happy with the $600. For the remaining ~100 or so guys, if EA wants to put out the best product they can, it's gonna take some work. At least until there actually is a CollegeFootballPlayersAssociation that can negotiate on all of the players' collective behalf (and even then, there will still be opt-outs - No MJ in any of the 90s era NBA games or Bonds after 2003 in MLB games) - but that's another argument for another day.
Truth be told, Shadeur, Ewers, Downs can all opt out, and not a single person is outside of maybe their own family members will change their minds about getting the game.

Shoot, Cam Ward, Restrepo, Bain and Mauigoa can all opt out, and I'm still getting the game.

Those guys would all be cool to have in the game, but ironically, NCAA football is the ultimate game where nobody actually cares if real players are in there or not.

Truth be told, Shadeur, Ewers, Downs can all opt out, and not a single person is outside of maybe their own family members will change their minds about getting the game.

Shoot, Cam Ward, Restrepo, Bain and Mauigoa can all opt out, and I'm still getting the game.

Those guys would all be cool to have in the game, but ironically, NCAA football is the ultimate game where nobody actually cares if real players are in there or not.
Just download a roster I know the PC crew will make the game leaps better than on ****** weak consoles

Advertisement

Those are 2 different arguments though. The people that will buy the game regardless aren't their inteded targets. They still have infuence to those teetering on the fence and only or those who wouldn't typically buy a football game. Shedeur has 2 million followers, I guarantee all of those aren't die hard Buffalo fans. Some of us would buy the game if it were just stick figures and logos.

Those are 2 different arguments though. The people that will buy the game regardless aren't their inteded targets. They still have infuence to those teetering on the fence and only or those who wouldn't typically buy a football game. Shedeur has 2 million followers, I guarantee all of those aren't die hard Buffalo fans. Some of us would buy the game if it were just stick figures and logos.
Honest question, in your opinion (as it can't be proven by either of us), you think a casual Sheduer follower is going to buy the game because Sheduer is in it?

I find it hard to believe. Either you like football and video games and you're getting that game. Or you don't like football and video games and you're not getting the game no matter what.

I'm not sure any individual player would be the deciding factor. Idk, at least I'm struggling to grasp it. Maybe there's a few hundred complete outliers that would be swayed by an individual player being in the game or not. Just seems weird to me.

Honest question, in your opinion (as it can't be proven by either of us), you think a casual Sheduer follower is going to buy the game because Sheduer is in it?

I find it hard to believe. Either you like football and video games and you're getting that game. Or you don't like football and video games and you're not getting the game no matter what.

I'm not sure any individual player would be the deciding factor. Idk, at least I'm struggling to grasp it. Maybe there's a few hundred complete outliers that would be swayed by an individual player being in the game or not. Just seems weird to me.
100% yes. Times have changed, the world revolves around influencers now.

Advertisement

Shadeur and Ewers already opted in today.

This. Nobody is going to sit this one out who would have normally bought the game because one dude isn’t in it.

****, Michael Jordan is probably the most popular athlete ever and he wasn’t in any of the 90’s NBA video games and everyone bought those. Nobody had an issue with Pippen and Grant being the Bulls squad in NBA Jam.

Well I'm ordering a controller for my computer in anticipation. I miss NCAA 06 where I was ranked #1 for a few weeks. Time to build up the old chops.

Advertisement
They have already came out today and said opt out players can’t be modded/edited into the game. How? They’ll probably block the name or something.
Just make a player named Sandy Sanders and given him the same number and attributes. It’s friggin impossible for them to stop individual gamers from making whoever they want

So you're in the "EA can put out whatever **** product they want, and the rubes will buy it" camp - fair enough (I'm a rube that's gonna buy it). I just understand the argument for/behind the foreseeable opt-outs.

So you're in the "EA can put out whatever **** product they want, and the rubes will buy it" camp - fair enough (I'm a rube that's gonna buy it). I just understand the argument for/behind the foreseeable opt-outs.
I'm not talking about the product really (gameplay). I'm talking about the players likeness.

I'm in the camp that the players likeness is almost worthless to the game. It's a nice addition, but not the deciding factor for a majority of ppl.

Advertisement
EA could have made a decent college football game with zero likenesses and it still would have sold well. Obviously not as much as a version with real players but people would still buy the game even if Miami’s quarterback was named “Miami quarterback”

I'm sure it will be a **** product the first year. Or, maybe a Madden clone. It will probably take a few years to get back to really unique gameplay.

Just make a player named Sandy Sanders and given him the same number and attributes. It’s friggin impossible for them to stop individual gamers from making whoever they want
If I can remember back in the day they didn’t have names anyway. You had to edit them. But the game would start off as “ #2 in at quarterback”

So basically players have no leverage at all in this. Even the star players.

If I can remember back in the day they didn’t have names anyway. You had to edit them. But the game would start off as “ #2 in at quarterback”

So basically players have no leverage at all in this. Even the star players.
I mean, yeah, some big names could play the opt out game and demand money but 99% of FBS players would be in for free, let alone the $600 they’re getting for doing literally nothing. All it would do is make the opt out players look greedy.

Advertisement
Back