OT: EA Sports College Football game

Advertisement
Certainly isn't a lot of money, but most kids won't be opting in for a pay day. I'm sure the cover athlete and some other stars will get more $$.
I mean theoretically the game is a free tool (that they're getting paid to use) for a player’s NIL brand.

Better you play in real life —> more highlights —> more popularity —> more people use you in the game —> more popularity --> more NIL $$

Becomes its own marketing tool when the alternative is you'd just get $0. So while the monetary value might not be coming from EA directly, it certainly can help catapult some guys into more sponsorship deals, jersey sales, exposure, etc.

I grew up in the midwest. I had no connection to the []_[] as a young kid outside of this game in the year 2002. I'd see highlights of McGahee, ST or AJ and then go play with them in the game. Set the quarters to max time limit on freshmen mode and try to rack up 1k yards in a game with that guy wearing #5. But I knew who it really was. I became obsessed with the players and the brand. They were my team. Wanted nothing more than to stumble upon a #2 or #5 UM jersey, but no luck in Illinois lol.

I'd absolutely be lying if I said the game didn't play some type of role in the beginning of my fandom for the U and its players. I cried when Willis tore his ACL in the Fiesta Bowl. Might sound silly to the adults (me included these days) but when I was a kid that game gave me access to a team that I loved, that I otherwise wouldn't have had. I spent hours nerding out on a passion of mine. It's the same reason you still see people playing the old games and copies of 2014 are going for resale at like $200 or more.

I am glad these guys can get what they're deserved through their popularity and exposure, but it has and always will start with performance on the field. Winnings/performance solves everything. The rest takes care of itself.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Why should they get more? People don’t download the game for the players. They could have random CPUs and everyone would still get the game. Plus, most people play Road to Glory and dynasty anyways

Again, just seems low for NIL. EA also invited every FBS player so not low for them.

Advertisement
Again, just seems low for NIL. EA also invited every FBS player so not low for them.
This is interesting for players that portal into the abyss. Not that 600$ is significant but being taken out the game will be something to monitor.
Screenshot_20240222_121432_Samsung Internet.jpg

Also as I expected the best players will get more. As it should be.
Screenshot_20240222_121517_Samsung Internet.jpg

They’re paying players almost 7 million lol. They get a free video game and $600. That’s more than enough. Especially when like 85% of people playing this game are either trying to win national championships with a school like Northern Illinois (all cpus) or trying to get their 6’5 240 pound running back college offers. Also, getting exposure in a video game will help these guys get other NIL deals

EA surprisingly did exactly what I would have done. Offered every single player a reasonable sum and say, “if you don’t want it, you won’t be in the game”. That avoids all the hassle of negotiating and offering some players more than others. If you feel your likeness is worth more, cool. You’re not in the game then. Considering 99% of these guys would do it for free, I think EA made the right play.

EA surprisingly did exactly what I would have done. Offered every single player a reasonable sum and say, “if you don’t want it, you won’t be in the game”. That avoids all the hassle of negotiating and offering some players more than others. If you feel your likeness is worth more, cool. You’re not in the game then. Considering 99% of these guys would do it for free, I think EA made the right play.

Some claiming opt outs might get to negotiate

Advertisement
I just dont see any player opting out. They all want to play the game and want to be able to play as themselves. And as @skydogcane6 said its a chance to have their name get out more. EA has already said the bigger stars will get more marketing oppertunities to get paid more.

Guess $600 x 11,000 players isn't lame for EA Sports but thought was low for players
I just dont see any player opting out. They all want to play the game and want to be able to play as themselves. And as @skydogcane6 said its a chance to have their name get out more. EA has already said the bigger stars will get more marketing oppertunities to get paid more.
Wait till they see that 58 rating next to their name lol

Advertisement
Some claiming opt outs might get to negotiate
It’s possible but I doubt it. It’s double bad for players who opt out because not only are they not in the game but everyone knows why. I don’t think there’s a single player in college football that would significantly impact sales of the game tbh.

It’s possible but I doubt it. It’s double bad for players who opt out because not only are they not in the game but everyone knows why. I don’t think there’s a single player in college football that would significantly impact sales of the game tbh.
Sheduer Sanders

Advertisement
Back