OT: Dolphins 1st Round

WaterburyCane

🐳 🐳 🐳
Premium
So Kiper just released his latest Mock Draft. He has the Dolphins picking Derwin James. Can someone tell me that Im nuts please because I was never that impressed with James on a play by play basis with any game I saw against the Hurricanes or others that I would use an early or mid 1st round pick on him. Too inconsistent. Maybe Im letting my hate for FSU impact my personal rankings. But whether he is picked by the Dolphins or someone else, all the mock drafts have him going higher than I would rank him. Not saying he wont be good in the NFL Would love to have him...just not at that point in the draft.

My pick: Normally Im against taking a LB in the 1st round, but if Smith falls, I would take him..he is just that good and at a position that has sucked for too many years on our D. I am warming up to the idea of trading up with the Colts to get Mayfield if he slips past the top 5 (I think all the other QB's will be gone by the 6th pick). Im still hesitant on Mayfield's character and lack of leadership qualities. This is the 1 position where I value that and there is just a hint of Johnny Manzel smell to Mayfield...but I am warming up to it.

Advertisement
LMAO!!!
They would pick the "game changing safety that's never made a game changing play"

Might as well pick a punter with that first pick

I agree with the LB pick but for years the OL has sucked. Either the LB or an OL. That 3 named LB from Boise is getting a lot of noise. Some are comparing him to Kuechly.

So Kiper just released his latest Mock Draft. He has the Dolphins picking Derwin James. Can someone tell me that Im nuts please because I was never that impressed with James on a play by play basis with any game I saw against the Hurricanes or others that I would use an early or mid 1st round pick on him. Too inconsistent. Maybe Im letting my hate for FSU impact my personal rankings. But whether he is picked by the Dolphins or someone else, all the mock drafts have him going higher than I would rank him. Not saying he wont be good in the NFL Would love to have him...just not at that point in the draft.

My pick: Normally Im against taking a LB in the 1st round, but if Smith falls, I would take him..he is just that good and at a position that has sucked for too many years on our D. I am warming up to the idea of trading up with the Colts to get Mayfield if he slips past the top 5 (I think all the other QB's will be gone by the 6th pick). Im still hesitant on Mayfield's character and lack of leadership qualities. This is the 1 position where I value that and there is just a hint of Johnny Manzel smell to Mayfield...but I am warming up to it.

James is overrated and that's not just because he was a Nole. Little production out of him after all the hype (yes I understand he was hurt all sophomore year and didn't look 100% healthy last year). Still wouldn't take him in the top 20 picks, maybe top 25. I understand the draft is based off potential and projections so that's the only reason he's getting such a high grade. For myself productivity of on-field performance needs to be there too and I don't see it. He's an in the box safety at the next level and the Dolphins have those guys now.

QB and LB are much bigger needs at 11, but knowing this franchise they wont address that.

Depends on how the board shakes out. If 4 QBs go top 10, a nice defensive player will fall to Miami. I'd say take Vita Vea, Tremaine Edmunds, or Roquan Smith. One will be there and you go with any of those three players ahead of Derwin James.

Alternatively, if, say, Baker Mayfield is there 11th overall and you didn't need to trade up for him, you take him.

Advertisement
Here's what the Fins should do:

1st Minkah Fitzpatrick DB - UA
2nd Orlando Brown OT - OU
3rd Mark Andrews TE - OU
4th Shaq Griffin LB - UCF
4th Mark Walton RB - UM
6th Braxton Berrios WR - UM
UDFA Logan Woodside QB Toledo
UDFA Dee Delaney CB
UDFA KC McDermott OG

Derwin is gonna be a bigger bust than Peter Warrick.

Mayfield is just another Manzel. Vea or Edmunds if either are there would be the safe choice. The Dolphins have many needs ,moving down and picking up a extra 3rd round pick would make the most sense.

3rd Mark Andrews TE - OU
4th Mark Walton RB - UM
UDFA Dee Delaney CB
UDFA KC McDermott OG

this gets you fired. Minkah Fitzpatrick????? F no....hes worse than Derwin James and we dont have a need at his spot. Orlando Brown is a blob and im tired of us getting overrated ou players.

Advertisement
A top notch DT like Vea or try to trade down. The lolphins have a desperate need for a TE and DT. 11 is too high for any TE in this draft. They could use a third LB or another guard but I'm not crazy about using the 11th pick on either of those positions either. Obviously, it all changes if one of the top quarterbacks is still on the board.

Honestly I have no problem with James at 11 tho he still like my 7th option for us. I'd take any of the top 5 QBs except allen, Roquan Smith, or Tremaine edmunds if none of them are there then id take james. That's probably the appropriate value for him. It funny cuz he was considered a #1 overall candidate before last season lol

Fins should trade away their first 2 rounds for extra picks. They never know WTF they are doing on draft day. They should rebuild the entire team instead of thinking one player will change their season.

3rd Mark Andrews TE - OU
4th Mark Walton RB - UM
UDFA Dee Delaney CB
UDFA KC McDermott OG

Not a fan of drafting a Saftey first we are set with 2 good starters there. I prefer LB/DT with the first pick since the QBs will be gone.

Advertisement
No way they take James 1st round that would be a waste of a pick, we have Jones and thumper McDonald back there. Unless one left I don't know about that choice. but then again front office is retarded and does dumb things all the time. I'm going with the lineman from ND or a QB not a safety.

Picking James that high is absolutely stupid, and probably why the Phins will do just that.

If the Dolphins pick Derwin James in the 1st round I will never watch another Phins game again

I'd rather be a Browns fan than continue to watch their stupidity every year

Advertisement
Let's say Vea, Edmunds, and Smith are all there. How do you rank them? I'd go in that order.
Id put Smith 1st. Then Vea, then Edmunds. Obviously both areas of needs. Safety is one of the few units where we dont have a glaring hole so I really hope we dont go there with James. That would be a horrible pick.

Picking James that high is absolutely stupid, and probably why the Phins will do just that.
I have more faith in this front office on draft day than I did with the Kathy Ireland years. Now free agency, trades....still a lot of head scratchers with this front office that drive me mad.

Advertisement
Back