Off-Topic OT- Dogs

Pups1.jpg

Advertisement
A friend of mine was a K-9 officer for several years. He had a Belgian Malinois named Rocco. Amazing both mentally and physically. All the commands related to police work he taught Rocco were in German. Basic commands were in English. One of the smartest dogs I’ve ever seen.

I didn’t know anything about Belgian Malinois until a few years ago - everyone thinks (myself included) that German Shepherds are the service dogs for police and military, but apparently a majority are actually Malinois. Put them pretty high on my “must have next dog” list after learning about them.

I didn’t know anything about Belgian Malinois until a few years ago - everyone thinks (myself included) that German Shepherds are the service dogs for police and military, but apparently a majority are actually Malinois. Put them pretty high on my “must have next dog” list after learning about them.
That video I posted has a section on the 2 different lines of Malinois. The show breed is much more calm and suitable to be a pet if you are an experienced dog owner. The service line that the military and LEO use is not an option, especially if kids are in the home.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Chocolate lab here. Best dog we could have asked for. Great with all of our kids. First year was rough though. Don't get too attached to your furniture/clothes.

Gorgeous pupper! And LOL to the comment -- we didn't have problems with furniture, but I've lost at least four pairs of shoes to mine, and the crate training was a BRUTAL process.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. This is first dog I had this young that required any basic training and it is admittedly much harder than anticipated.

It is and it isn't. It's funny because I'm going through this literally right now with someone in my life. Here's the end-all/be-all:

YOU ARE IN CHARGE

I honestly think the most important thing you can do for a dog (while young) is to hold it close to you, still, until it stops fighting, then praise it. Let the dog understand you can control it, it's in good hands, and once you let it go, it's done a good job.

Great way to pull thorns, burrs, or just get it to do what you need it to do, for the dog's benefit.

The dog will fight you. Either you win, or the dog wins.

Advertisement
Another story about dogs. Years ago my daughter owned a Catahoula Leopard dog. An absolutely beautiful animal, loving and smart. In Venice there's a doggy park alongside a beach. My daughter decided that she wanted to take her dog (Brodie) to play in the water. When we got to doggy beach there were quite a few dogs running around and swimming in the gulf.

There was a young pit bull also on the beach and he was terrorizing all the other dogs. It was at that moment that I saw something that was truly amazing. The pit bull came up to Brodie, stopped a few feet away and was staring and snarling at him. Brodie did nothing except look down at the little pit bull. He didn't bark, or snarl. He just stared at the little guy. Then, as if Moses parted the red Sea, the pit bull turned and went to the blanket where his owner was sitting and he just lay down. He didn't get off the blanket the whole time we were there with Brodie.

I have no idea what Brodie said to him in silent dog speak but it must have been like this..."go ahead and try it". I will never forget this event as long as I live.

Another story about dogs. Years ago my daughter owned a Catahoula Leopard dog. An absolutely beautiful animal, loving and smart. In Venice there's a doggy park alongside a beach. My daughter decided that she wanted to take her dog (Brodie) to play in the water. When we got to doggy beach there were quite a few dogs running around and swimming in the gulf.

There was a young pit bull also on the beach and he was terrorizing all the other dogs. It was at that moment that I saw something that was truly amazing. The pit bull came up to Brodie, stopped a few feet away and was staring and snarling at him. Brodie did nothing except look down at the little pit bull. He didn't bark, or snarl. He just stared at the little guy. Then, as if Moses parted the red Sea, the pit bull turned and went to the blanket where his owner was sitting and he just lay down. He didn't get off the blanket the whole time we were there with Brodie.

I have no idea what Brodie said to him in silent dog speak but it must have been like this..."go ahead and try it". I will never forget this event as long as I live.
This is a **** good story...he probably said “if you don’t stop effing with everyone here I’m gonna mollywop your *** up and down this park”

Advertisement

Nice. Maybe it was something like ...

1596564253638.gif

Advertisement
Back