OT Dabo said it Top 15 Recruting classes, Evaulation, development and culture is how you win

Dabo is correct. Plus, they're great at targeting talent in SC that is ranked way too low. That 3* RB they got is absurd. I have no idea how he was ranked that low.
sc always had good talent but the comp is usually thought to be the best even usually sc athletes usually ball

Advertisement
They had Christian Wilkinson and Dexter Lawrence in 2017 and what did that get them with Kelly Bryant at QB?

They blew the doors off the Playoffs in 2018 with Lawrence (didn't even have Dexter Lawrence BTW...)

Not saying QB don’t matter just saying the 5 star label that everyone defaults too ain’t true. Deshaun Watson wasn’t a consensus 5 star but because he performed like one y’all dismiss it and want to pretend y’all knew he was a generational talent before he showed y’all on the field.

Kelly Bryant was also a 4 star on 2 out of 3 recruiting services, but again in hindsight you arguing he wasn’t good enough, but would you have said that before you saw him on the field, my guess is probably not considering he is faster than Watson coming out. It’s about development.

Advertisement
Right, so like I said, multiple 5 star DL. Ferrell and Bryant were both highly rated 4 stars at DE as well. There are also a few 5 star backups that they signed in '18. At QB, Lawrence was obviously a 5 star at QB and prior to him they got Hunter Johnson who was also a 5 star and has since transferred. Point is they recruit QB and DL at an elite level, as good as Bama and UGA.

Production is what matters like I said not all of them were 5 stars and Lawrence was the only consensus on all 3 services. Wilkins 5 star on 2 of 3. And a 4 star is a 4 star the word highly rated doesn’t make them a 5 star lol. We had plenty of those 4 stars and a 5 star on the DL I listed all on the team at the same time in Willis III, Thomas, Jackson, and (Norton and McInstosh who performed like 4 stars or better).

My point is they just developed their recruiting class and especially those key positions to win. **** Ohio state won a championship in 2014 with a 3 star Qb in Cordele Jones.

Again the star obsession is window dressing. You don’t need a 5 star at a certain position to win, will it help, yeah if you develop them right but you also can recruit the right fit and develop them to win regardless of the star period.

Truth... Top 15 classes and good coaching can take you a long ways. Dabo, until the last 2 years, did not have highly rated (top 5) classes and look what he's done. Coaching, my friends, and development is where it's at. Once you do that and start winning, the blue chip recruits start to come. You always want top talent, but I'd rather have young stud coaches any day.

tenor.gif

Advertisement
Is Lawrence worth 28 points over Tua?

on average? no. its possible for him to be on any given game day, just like it would be possible for Tua to be over him. guys like that are capable of getting hot and playing out of their minds. they're also capable of playing like **** from time to time. but lawrence was definitely the better QB that day.

and i never argued that QB play was the only reason clemson beat alabama. its not about one game. its about consistently, over time, putting your team in positions to succeed. and having first round QB talent leading your team(along with a great defense) does just that.

Brady threw for over 500 yards and lost the super bowl. its football, it happens.

They often have lower rated classes because they don’t sign as many as everyone else.

But that’s because Dabo and Clemson our more emphasis on getting guys to stay for senior seasons.

That ^ is the key to Clemson’s success.

I’ll take a top 15 class each year over a top 5 if you guarantee me that 80% of the seniors eligible for the draft stay for senior seasons.

They had Christian Wilkinson and Dexter Lawrence in 2017 and what did that get them with Kelly Bryant at QB?

They blew the doors off the Playoffs in 2018 with Lawrence (didn't even have Dexter Lawrence BTW...)

Where did it get them?

I think they got to the national championship game and Bama caught lightning in a bottle with Tua in the forth quarter.

Sometimes sh*t happens.

Where did it get them?

I think they got to the national championship game and Bama caught lightning in a bottle with Tua in the forth quarter.

Sometimes sh*t happens.

Let's take a second to address all that is wrong with your response.

1) 2017 Clemson did not make it to the National Championship game

2) Tua did not play against Clemson in 2017

3) Alabama beat Georgia in the Nation Championship game in 2017 with Tua in the 2nd half

Advertisement
Let's take a second to address all that is wrong with your response.

1) 2017 Clemson did not make it to the National Championship game

2) Tua did not play against Clemson in 2017

3) Alabama beat Georgia in the Nation Championship game in 2017 with Tua in the 2nd half

Jez, I guess you got me there. Just posting quickly from memory. Still, without Lawrence they finished undefeated and smoked us in the ACC championship game. When was the last time we can say that.

This is why recruiting rankings are flawed. Recruits are assigned arbitrary rating numbers and after signing day, each school adds up the total number for every guy they signed and the school with the biggest number has the #1 class. Now, it's great to sign a bunch of highly rated guys but what if you had areas that needed to be addressed but you whiffed on those guys? You could technically make up for it by signing a bunch of highly rated recruits at positions you're already loaded at. You could technically finish with a very high overall recruiting score but your team may actually be worse. Recruiting classes are given grades based solely on the level of talent brought in. Not on team need or position importance. Look at FSU. I believe 247 rated their 2019 class #18 overall. Not bad. Certainly higher than Miami. However, they were desperate for help on the offensive line and at quarterback. They didn't land a QB and the linemen they got were "plan B" type recruits. They did sign some big names on defense but right now, despite signing a fairly highly ranked class, they're probably a worse team than they were last year.

Jez, I guess you got me there. Just posting quickly from memory. Still, without Lawrence they finished undefeated and smoked us in the ACC championship game. When was the last time we can say that.

You're confusing a great ACC team with a National Title Winning team.

Those two aren't the same.

Advertisement
OK, hang on. In Dabo's FIRST year as head coach, he recruited FIVE 4 star players and ONE 5 star player. Not half bad considering the school was 18 years removed from their last ACC title and 27 years removed from their last National Championship! So, the "just win" theory did not apply to landing elite players. Yet, he was still able to land major players including two out of state elite recruits (Tajh Boyd, Bryce McNeal). No one knew Dabo. He was a promoted WIDE RECEIVERS coach. Not a former DC for a Super Bowl winning team (Like Butch was). He then went on to recruit FIVE 4 star recruits the next year following 9 win season including a loss to SC and then GT for the ACC championship.

From day ONE Dabo was able to land elite recruits with zero advantages. It's time to stop making excuses for both not winning and not landing players.

You're confusing a great ACC team with a National Title Winning team.

Those two aren't the same.
No I'm not. At that level of competition, there's not much difference. Often, all it takes is one good player to push you over the top.

Look at the reverse. How many times have we seen a "generational" or Heisman-type QB saddled with a team that wasn't strong defensively or in the trenches. Look at the Pac 10 or Big 12 teams. I'd say they're a lot farther away than one good player.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back