OT Dabo said it Top 15 Recruting classes, Evaulation, development and culture is how you win

ScorpioCane

Caniac
Premium
I said this exact thing about being top 15 consistently in an earlier post that we don’t have to get the top class every year to win big or win a natty. We just need to be top 15 consistently and develop what we get to fit what we do.

Dabo explained in his interview today on ESPN (see link ) how you build a national championship winning program without being Bama and getting the top recruiting class every year. Our fan base needs to get out of the notion that we need to be number 1 or top 5 recruiting every year to become relevant again and win nattys. Do we all want to have the #1 recruting class of course, but it is not a must in order to win just, recruit well consistently and developing is the big key. The reality of the situation is we will never do what Bama and UGA are doing right now in recruiting right nor do we need to in order to win. Quite frankly we have had the number 1# recruting class before under Randy and it didn’t result in a championship, so we proved that direct correlation wrong already.

I think Manny and staff can and will check all the boxes that Dabo talked about and that is how we will win big again soon.

Advertisement
They had the #10 ranked class for 2019 with 7 players from Florida in their class.
They were ranked #7 for 2018 class, #16 for the 2017 class & #11 for the 2016 class.

They target very specific players that fit their system & develop them. They don't use the Bama/UGA approach of scorched earth style recruiting in doin everything they can to land a top 5 class, they don't really care, just want certain guys each class that they know will maturate into star players.

They have a low bust rate because of it. That's the way to do it. Obviously they have heavy bag support as well, but I think the Clemson/Oklahoma recruiting strategy works best over time. UGA, UF, TAMU, Auburn, FSU etc all recruit really high every year & it almost never materializes into anything tangible.

Coaching is the most important factor imo.

Well knock me over with a feather this is a true life changing post I would Denver have thought that recruiting developing and culture would contribute to a winning record

Dabo Wabo is 100% correct.

Recruiting, Training, and Retaining the best assets is ALWAYS a recipe for sustained success.

Simple to say, very difficult to do in all three phases.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I feel like everyone in this thread is conveniently leaving out the fact that they've won their titles with generational talent at the Quarterback position.

They don't win titles without Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence.

Those are just facts.

And 5 stars on the DL. Clemson has done a great job of picking their spots. Every player doesn't need to be a 5-star. Development is key. But obvious high-end talent at key positions with a high correlation between ranking and college success matters.

Advertisement
And 5 stars on the DL. Clemson has done a great job of picking their spots. Every player doesn't need to be a 5-star. Development is key. But obvious high-end talent at key positions with a high correlation between ranking and college success matters.

5-stars on the Dline won't get you a ring. Ask the 2017 Clemson Tigers.

What's the difference between the 2016, 2017, and 2018 Clemson teams? It ain't defense.

Advertisement
Can't disagree but Bama has a generational QB and a roster full of #1 ranked recruiting classes and still got their *** whipped by Clemson.

Something Dabo and his staff are doing is right.

Dabo had the better QB that day.

While they might not be top 5 overall every year, they recruit the most important positions at an elite level. They typically always get a 5 star QB and multiple 5 star DL.

Deshaun Watson was only considered a 5 star QB by Rivals the other two recruting services had him as a 4 star, now obviously he was a generational talent and the top dual threat QB.

And Christian Wilkinson and Dexter Lawrence were the only other 5 stars on the team, and the rest were 3 star and 4 star players. The point is they were not stacked with only 5 star and 4 star players like Bama and most importantly they developed guys that maximize what they do best.

Just think about this we had Gerald Willis, Norton, McIntosh, Chad Thomas, Joe Jackson, and Garvin all on the same team. That’s enough talent and production to win DL to win if we are competent on both sides of the ball if all you need is a great DL and QB like y’all are saying. I’m sure Clemson could have produced and possibly won with our DL.

Deshaun Watson was only considered a 5 star QB by Rivals the other two recruting services had him as a 4 star, now obviously he was a generational talent and the top dual threat QB.

And Christian Wilkinson and Dexter Lawrence were the only other 5 stars on the team, and the rest were 3 star and 4 star players. The point is they were not stacked with only 5 star and 4 star players like Bama and most importantly they developed guys that maximize what they do best.

Just think about this we had Gerald Willis, Norton, McIntosh, Chad Thomas, Joe Jackson, and Garvin all on the same team. That’s enough talent and production to win DL to win if we are competent on both sides of the ball if all you need is a great DL and QB like y’all are saying. I’m sure Clemson could have produced and possibly won with our DL.

They had Christian Wilkinson and Dexter Lawrence in 2017 and what did that get them with Kelly Bryant at QB?

They blew the doors off the Playoffs in 2018 with Lawrence (didn't even have Dexter Lawrence BTW...)

Right, so like I said, multiple 5 star DL. Ferrell and Bryant were both highly rated 4 stars at DE as well. There are also a few 5 star backups that they signed in '18. At QB, Lawrence was obviously a 5 star at QB and prior to him they got Hunter Johnson who was also a 5 star and has since transferred. Point is they recruit QB and DL at an elite level, as good as Bama and UGA.

Advertisement
Back