OT: Corruption in NCAA BBAll

This is not some Yahoo reporter with salacious allegations or even the NCAA swinging their massive rule book at Miami, this is the FBI who has full authority to subpoena and investigate as far as their leads take them. Miami coaches were involved in the bribery scheme and were named in the indictment, maybe not by name (coach #3 ), but they were implicated as being directly involved. It does not matter that he was not arrested (yet) nor that he wasn't on a wiretap or that it involved a 2019 recruit, they had enough evidence to include him in the indictment as having alleged to commit a crime which gives them full subpoena power of that coach and the University, and now we have confirmation that the FBI has indeed notified the University that they are under investigation. And this isn't the NCAA who you can lie to and withhold information, this is a Federal investigation, Under Oath, which means full cooperation or go to jail kind of power. This has the potential (and a high likelihood) to get much, much worse not only for Coach #3 but Miami basketball as a whole. You think those 5-stars from last year won't be interviewed? Think this is the first time Adidas has helped these schools land big time prospects? Criminal charges aside, the NCAA has a long precedent of not looking too kindly on pay for play schemes and they will have the ability to leverage the FBIs investigation which can go much further than the NCAA would normally be able to. Very dark days are ahead for Miami basketball.

Worst. Post. Ever. And I didn't even read it because it is so poorly structured, but I got the gist. The sky is falling, the Feds are literally going to perp walk the BUC (or whatever it's called now), yep, that's right, they are going to arrest and incarcerate the basketball arena itself, that's how bad this is. We should go ahead and take our program out back and shoot it right between it's cute and loving little eyes.

WTF happened to you people to think like this? There is a major scandal here, which we have all known has been going on for decades at essentially every major athletics program in the country, and we know little to NOTHING about what allegations or evidence there is on our program. Maybe that guy in Office Space was on to something with his "Jump to Conclusions" game mat! Seems a lot of Canes "fans" really enjoy that game...

Slow down, take a breath, and wait for some actual facts to come out before you shoot your cute little puppy. Could be it just had a little fart and not full blown rabies. Be a shame to blow a cute little puppy's head off just because you couldn't help yourself from jumping to conclusions.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Advertisement
If you haven't read it, SI gives a good breakdown of the allegations and the possible defenses.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...ion-college-basketball-fraud-louisville-bribe

Personally, I think the government won't be able to get convictions. And I feel very strongly that the miami coach allegedly involved is never charged. What would he possibly be charged with, especially since he didn't accept money and the recruit never signed with Miami? No miami coach will is going to face fed indictment, so that's not the main concern. The concern is the NCAA. But they don't have subpoena power, so they don't get the wiretaps (and like I said, the feds aren't going to share that info for fear of the ncaa blowing up the case like they always do). You get a he "allegedly said" situation, but since player never even made it to Miami, there are no issues with eligibility or forfeit of games. The school can easily get ahead of this and avoid any penalties or loss of scholarships.
The rest of the schools can burn, for all I care.

Last edited:
It's been over 24 hours since the indictment and Coach 3 is still employed. Can't say the same about Coach 2.

I remember my head almost exploding during the Pell Grant and Shapiro scandals.
One thing I've learned is to wait for the facts to come out before curling up in the fetal position and cry out
for Mommy.
That stuff about someone (alledgely) quoting one of our coaches is not very clear either, especially in what context
it was said.

There were numerous violations of federal laws, across state lines, which is why the FBI is involved. To start with, bribes are illegal, and there is a whole lot of tax evasion going on, by coaches, "advisors" and players.

Lost in all of this, then... where are the indictments for the end recipients of the money? Do we have to wait for the tax returns to be filed? At what point are the people accepting the "bribes" held responsible?

Advertisement
If you haven't read it, SI gives a good breakdown of the allegations and the possible defenses.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...ion-college-basketball-fraud-louisville-bribe

Personally, I think the government won't be able to get convictions. And I feel very strongly that the miami coach allegedly involved is never charged. What would he possibly be charged with, especially since he didn't accept money and the recruit never signed with Miami? No miami coach will is going to face fed indictment, so that's not the main concern. The concern is the NCAA. But they don't have subpoena power, so they don't get the wiretaps (and like I said, the feds aren't going to share that info for fear of the ncaa blowing up the case like they always do). You get a he "allegedly said" situation, but since player never even made it to Miami, there are no issues with eligibility or forfeit of games. The school can easily get ahead of this and avoid any penalties or loss of scholarships.

Attempt or conspiracy.

Someone asked earlier but I haven't seen an answer. What federal law exists barring pay for play? Not NCAA rules but is that actually illegal in a court of law?

There were numerous violations of federal laws, across state lines, which is why the FBI is involved. To start with, bribes are illegal, and there is a whole lot of tax evasion going on, by coaches, "advisors" and players.

Lost in all of this, then... where are the indictments for the end recipients of the money? Do we have to wait for the tax returns to be filed? At what point are the people accepting the "bribes" held responsible?

Spot on....but it won't happen- to the "kids" at least. But I'm not sure exactly when the IRS became cool with people making hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash income and them not getting their cut.

Advertisement

Spot on....but it won't happen- to the "kids" at least. But I'm not sure exactly when the IRS became cool with people making hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash income and them not getting their cut.

Right now, this is an FBI criminal investigation, and they get first crack, but there is nothing stopping the IRS from jumping in at some point. Somewhere in the Adidas and Nike records, are details on previous years bribes, and that is what the IRS is going to go after.

Depends upon the laws.

For instance, if you are a public official, it is a crime to arrange bribes (often hard to prove) or accept bribes (usually easier to prove).

From an IRS standpoint, it is a crime to under-report income on your tax return. The law says that you report income from ALL SOURCES, thus Al Capone "should have" reported his income from criminal activities.

University of Miami basketball coaches hope for "swift conclusion" to FBI corruption probe | Miami Herald

Looks like the FBI and the US Attorney of SDNY may have screwed up some in pursuing their latest press release, err, criminal case...

I’m going to laugh my *** off and call to account the incredibly annoying and superghey fakkit cūnts that showed up in this thread just to spread fear and try to sell the absolute worst possible outcome, instead of being reasonable and letting it play out. The story is already petering out.

But of course, they just post and run, like the cowards they are.

Advertisement
University of Miami basketball coaches hope for "swift conclusion" to FBI corruption probe | Miami Herald

Looks like the FBI and the US Attorney of SDNY may have screwed up some in pursuing their latest press release, err, criminal case...

I’m going to laugh my *** off and call to account the incredibly annoying and superghey fakkit cūnts that showed up in this thread just to spread fear and try to sell the absolute worst possible outcome, instead of being reasonable and letting it play out. The story is already petering out.

But of course, they just post and run, like the cowards they are.

Preach!

Attempt or conspiracy.

No way the feds take attempted bribery or conspiracy to commit shoe fraud to federal court. Zero chance. The ones who might get smoked are the ones who actually accepted money to influence players. Miami is nowhere near that. Want more proof that Miami isn't worried? The second the report dropped, Bama and Louisville were firing people left and right to distance the schools from any possible ties that could lead to trouble with the feds. Dr. Julio Frenkenstein's response was to pour himself a glass of high quality bourbon and light a Cuban cigar. He ain't sweating it.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Attempt or conspiracy.

No way the feds take attempted bribery or conspiracy to commit shoe fraud to federal court. Zero chance. The ones who might get smoked are the ones who actually accepted money to influence players. Miami is nowhere near that. Want more proof that Miami isn't worried? The second the report dropped, Bama and Louisville were firing people left and right to distance the schools from any possible ties that could lead to trouble with the feds. Dr. Julio Frenkenstein's response was to pour himself a glass of high quality bourbon and light a Cuban cigar. He ain't sweating it.

I answered your question. That ends it. I never said they would be charged. I never said Miami should be “worried” either.

Advertisement
Back