OT: Conference Expansion

There are very few things that one can be absolutely sure in life, HOWEVER there is no way that USC, UCLA & Stanford would leave the PAC 12.
NO WAY.
Unless BIG 12 expands, theirs is an uneasy alliance at best, hard to say how long this conference sticks around (you can thank Texas for the mass exodus).
Can't see either BIG or SEC expanding, unless some kind of crazy happens i.e. Mizzou wanted/hoped to be invited to the BIG. There is no penalty for leaving the SEC. Fans of Mizzou I've talked to are just not "feeling it" playing other teams in the SEC I'm not saying this is likely, but that could be one scenario if poaching began.

Advertisement
Beyond the valid points already made, what motivation do any of the PAC teams have to switch conferences?

Okay, those West Coast schools are not leaving the Pac whatever# and nobody wants to travel that far. Let them die. ND is no-brainer, if they will come, but that will only happen if the can't get that TV deal again. We can help that by crushing their little green heads and keeping them out of the playoffs.

UCF or USF makes some sense. It would hurt gator recruiting more than us and both are huge TV markets which would cut into sec TV money and help ours. Also, it would give us 4 FL schools in ACC and increase our power at the conference level against the tobacco road people. If we assume that THE U is on the verge of being back, NOTHING will be able to hurt our recruiting very much. We will get who we want out of So FL and that will be just fine. Also, UCF and USF will act as "buffer
states" with SEC. Beyond that, a couple of the Texas schools would be nice for TV market and recruiting base expansion.

Could hurt our recruiting also and adds another mouth to feed.
Don’t want either in our conference they don’t add anything.

Also valid points.

they aren't taking in the west Coast.That would be asinine.The cost of travel back and forth across the country would put 90% of the schools in the red....crazy talk.

Advertisement
406cane - enough with the immature stuff.

yes the WVU ridge-runners do not fit academically in the ACC but they are competitive in football and basketball. they have
a long history with BC, Cuse, Pitt, PSU, VaTech, and we have had some great games with them. are they about the same
as LU academically? don't know. you tell me.

PSU would be an ideal fit in the ACC given the the same history, but, unfortunately, it will never happen.

with Vandy being an excellent private school they would fit very well in the ACC. not likely they will Leave the SEC.

don't like the idea of CFU or SFU of being in the ACC and don't think that FSU would either. why should we create
nearby competition that would hurt our recruiting?

who's left? Uconn - both UM and BC will void that idea especially after what Uconn did after we left the B.E.
ECU - no, Temple - no, Houston - maybe, Texas - no, they keep all the revenue, Cinci - perhaps.

west coast schools not realistic. not going to happen.

who else is there? does the ACC raid another conference? it will be quite interesting to see how this evolves.
expansion to 16 schools is likely to happen, perhaps in 3-5 years. anyone guess.

what are your clear thoughts?

I have to admit, I hate a lot of the conference realignment that has gone on the last decade. West coast teams in the ACC, that's possibly the dumbest idea I have heard on the topic of expansion and that is being polite.

Conference realignment is not about sports, its about money. The B1G wanted Rutgers and Maryland not because they were good sport programs, but because they secured the DC and NYC markets. Notre Dame is a no brainer for any conference, but after that, there are no obvious choices. Maybe Houston is the most attractive.

No to Usf or UCF. Doesn't help recruiting. Houston I like. Outside of Dade and Broward, the most fertile recruiting ground in the country and it would give the ACC a footprint in Texas. As for WVU, I don't know if the conference would want a banjo playing, sheep laying, furniture razing fan base associated with them.

Advertisement
ND - WVU
or
ND - VANDY

MIAMI will do everything it can stop UCONN after what it did pulled when we left the BIG EAST.
Aother good fix would be PSU, but they'll leave the BIG 10.

VT was let in and they were the ring leader. IMO Vandy will never leave the SEC. Look what happened to Tulane after they left. WV adds nothing.

Last edited:
If the Big XII gets cannibalized in the next round of expansion (which I foresee happening in the next 3-5 years), I wouldn't mind adding Oklahoma and OK State. TCU would make sense since they're a good academic school in a big TV market. Houston would make sense too for similar reasons, and both them and TCU would give the ACC a footprint in the fertile Texas recruiting grounds. I would say UT would make the most sense of all the Big XII schools to join the ACC from an academic and athletic standpoint, but they're getting all that revenue with their sweet Longhorn Network deal and they don't have to share it with the other Big XII schools. That's actually the main reason I think the Big XII will be cannibalized when the next round of expansion happens.

Advertisement
You're not going to add Pac-12 teams. Travel would be the main and deciding factor there. Schools don't want to have to fly across the country multiple times throughout the year. If expansion would happen, the likely and best case scenario would be for the Big 12 to dismantle and us pick up Oklahoma/Texas/WVU (any of those 3, preferably the former 2).

God these threads bring out absurd ideas... There are a few facts that have to be known before ever starting.. The big one: Due to Grant of Rights ND can only join ONE conference if they decide to and that is the ACC... They can not join the BIG... period. and they don't want to. If you noticed they kept USC and Navy on their schedule every year and dropped Mich... in fact they played ZERO BIG teams last year.

Who to add with ND??

I think football is is paramount.. we have basketball covered so adding UCONN is out of the picture. Navy is another dumb idea.. (I was in the Navy FWIW). They have had decent teams the last few years in the AAC... They have zero appeal on a national level and their other sports are garbage..

To me WVU is the obvious choice

Advertisement
The West Coast teams idea is never gonna happen.

IMO, the ACC is already too big since they play an 8 game conference schedule. Playing other divisional teams only once every 6 years is ridiculous.

The only way the ACC expands is if ND decides to join in for football. I think the only way that happens is if ND demands that Navy is brought in as the other team so they can continue their rivalry without affecting ND's out of conference schedule with USC and Big 10 teams.

Pick 2 from : Maryland, WVU or UConn. ND can go suck eggs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would think that only those that were previously in the Big East would be a good fit outside of Notre Dame.

Meaning Notre Dame and UCONN or Cinci.
UCF or USF would be oversaturation in Florida.
Rutgers and WVU would be a good choice but I dont think the ACC would be able to pull someone out of another Power 5. Your targets are independents or Group of 5 teams.

Advertisement
Back