NFL OT - Carolina Panthers trade for the #1 overall pick

Advertisement
With the defense the Bears want to run, Edmunds was one of the only guys they really could have gone after. They need a big, tall MLB type to cover that middle zone and make it difficult to throw over the top of the linebacker. Its why they punted Ro Smith to the Ravens and paid a few more bucks to a LB that can operate in their defense. They don't necessarily need Edwards to play on pass downs, but its a fair criticism. Edwards is basically a one year deal at 8M anyway. Its a show-me deal.

As an aside, the concept of "overpaying" is silly. And judging it at this point of the offseason is equally silly. The Jaguars "overpaid" last year for a variety of players (you have to when you stink), yet they made a run and the players they "overpaid" for, all performed at or above their salary and were vital pieces to a playoff run. It doesn't always work, but who cares what these guys are getting paid at this point. The NFL is very good at manipulating their cap figure annually. They figure it out. It isn't 2002 where a team being upside down on a roster means you are toast for a while. A key cut (that was almost always planned), some core restructuring, some contract play with front/back loaded deals and you'll be alright. Its not that serious.

Edmunds for example...14M cap hit this year, 22M cap hit next year (if it works out, will surely be restructured), 17M in 2025. Cut year will be the 2026 off-season where its a 2M dead cap hit. Comparable players - per Sportrac - are like Zach Cunningham, Deion Jones, Lavonte David, Eric Kendricks. Per PFF, Edmunds outperformed all of them sans Lavonte David last year, pretty significantly (injuries and other factors are not necessarily included, but I digress). Also, Edmunds is TWENTY FOUR YEARS OLD. That's wild. Edwards out performed those aforementioned LBs per PFF last year as well.

If it doesn't work out, Edwards is gone next year and you might have to slog through two years of bad play from Edmunds (would be weird considering his age...it'd be a dramatic drop off for an ascending player)...but nothing looks egregious. Like all free agents, you just hope things bank right.

Bruh, don’t argue w/ a Lions fan. The only chit they can even claim is playing on Thanksgiving every yr.

U’re not getting Will Anderson, period.
Angry Staredown GIF by King of Boys

Advertisement
Like when they had 3 first round picks and then 2 the following year?
I would have kept trading down and finding diamonds in the later rounds. That management office has no idea what it’s doing in the first round. The higher quantity of picks gives them more leeway to ***** up.

Bruh, don’t argue w/ a Lions fan. The only chit they can even claim is playing on Thanksgiving every yr.

Never forget that franchise prematurely ended the football souls of Barry Sanders AND Calvin Johnson...

"I was stuck in my contract with Detroit, and they told me, they would not release my contract, so I would have to come back to them. I didn't see the chance for them to win a Super Bowl at the time, and for the work I was putting in, it wasn't worth my time to keep on beating my head against the wall and not going anywhere. It's the definition of insanity."

-Calvin Johnson, speaking on why he retired at 30 coming off 1,214 receiving yards and 9 touchdowns in 16 games.

Weird idea, Carolina drafts Richardson, sucks donkey balls.

Due to their suckage, they get the first or second pick and since they have their “QB of the future”, they can trade down a couple picks pick up a boat load and draft MHJ to be the #1 WR of the future.

He’ll likely be the first non QB pick of next year’s draft.

Never forget that franchise prematurely ended the football souls of Barry Sanders AND Calvin Johnson...

"I was stuck in my contract with Detroit, and they told me, they would not release my contract, so I would have to come back to them. I didn't see the chance for them to win a Super Bowl at the time, and for the work I was putting in, it wasn't worth my time to keep on beating my head against the wall and not going anywhere. It's the definition of insanity."

-Calvin Johnson, speaking on why he retired at 30 coming off 1,214 receiving yards and 9 touchdowns in 16 games.

Oh I haven’t, trust me. I’m convinced The Lions & their fans are the reason Barry & Calvin left Detroit, & the automotive industry declined.

Advertisement
And while I’m at it; Get Detroit Style Pizza out of my got **** mutha fckin face! Talking bout it’s deep dish. If ya’ll don’t get that Lil Caesar’s burnt chest crust to rim bull chit outta here. @cway313
O yea now them is fighting words. Chicago don't even have a pizza don't @ me.

We don't claim Little Caesers. That's like going to McDonald's for a good burger.

O yea now them is fighting words. Chicago don't even have a pizza don't @ me.

We don't claim Little Caesers. That's like going to McDonald's for a good burger.

U ain’t got no choice but to claim them! The Pistons & the Redwings play at LIL CAESARS’ ARENA! Lol.

Chicago deep dish is more of a tourist pizza. Most Chicagoans eat their pizza thin, but it ain’t on that bull chit NY 30” slice that takes 4 days to eat, either.

Nah, but on some real chit, Detroit style is cool, but Lil Caesars did ya’ll hella dirty in representing that style. Like how in tf did these mofos become so big & be put in a position to rep the bity like that?

Advertisement
Who really cares? Neither team is going anywhere anytime soon. Fields is average and I sure hope Carolina isn't mortgaging their immediate future for Stroud.

There was always potential with Mahomes (size, skill, background of a dad as a professional athlete, others like Carson Wentz before the injuries, Jordan Love potential, Trey Lance potential, etc).

There is always risks in terms of picks as you noted but you give all of that up for a skinny 5’10 QB from Alabama that is likely more similar to Tua than to Murray from Arizona?

IMO, they should pick Stroud and I don’t think he’s a sure fire #2 but is likely the best overall. Richardson has the most potential but I just don’t see him being a smart QB like the others which will likely mitigate his raw potential.
In Richardson's defence he didn't say his two QB idols were someone that went to prison for operating a dog fighting ring and someone that should have gone to prison for sexual assault.

Advertisement
Weird idea, Carolina drafts Richardson, sucks donkey balls.

Due to their suckage, they get the first or second pick and since they have their “QB of the future”, they can trade down a couple picks pick up a boat load and draft MHJ to be the #1 WR of the future.

He’ll likely be the first non QB pick of next year’s draft.
Carolina doesn't have their pick next year.

Advertisement
Back