OT: Books

Advertisement
Anything written by Michael Crichton.
The Dan Brown books are more interesting than Tom Hanks made them appear on screen.

I really enjoyed Bosch on Amazon Prime. I might pick up a Michael Connelly book the next time I have to fly. I heard they were quite good.
Confused Tom Hanks GIF

Marching Powder is a very interesting book and is a true story. It's completely insane and about a British guy who gets busted drug dealing Bolivia. They describe.the jail which is terrifying but completely different than up here. You have to supply your own food.and families of inmates live.in the prison too. Anyway, the guy figures out a way to make cocaine in prison to support himself, etc.

I mostly do Audiobooks these days, since I stare at text and numbers for so much of the day as it is.
Same. I love the audible app.

Another series I "read" are all the Brad Thor books. Not bad, they get a little cheesy in spots.

Obviously wanted to post this in the Off-Topic forums but it isn't sports or covid related. Anyways...

Trying to get back in to reading. Anybody has some good books/novels to start on?
Broad brush... what genres are you most interested in?

Advertisement
Memoirs of a Pervert

By NYSOM

Dive into the deep end of perversion with this fascinating, albeit disturbing, account of the life and times of NYSOM. Do not be overwhelmed by the 3,556 pages, as most are finger paintings depicting his hopes, dreams, nightmares, and fantasies. Sure to make you say "WTF!" over and over. Simply a must have for every level of pervert.

Then there is this gem of a book...

How to Make Friends With Bears

By Daniel Rivera

The title says it all. At times it can be a little hard to follow, as Mr. Rivera often gets sidetracked with such topics as child support and swine flu. Still, if you are looking for a book about bears, and how to befriend them, this book is for you. It also covers other situations that may arise in the wild, such as, "What do I do if a bear kills me?" You will find out in this book.

Memoirs of a Pervert

By NYSOM

Dive into the deep end of perversion with this fascinating, albeit disturbing, account of the life and times of NYSOM. Do not be overwhelmed by the 3,556 pages, as most are finger paintings depicting his hopes, dreams, nightmares, and fantasies. Sure to make you say "WTF!" over and over. Simply a must have for every level of pervert.

Then there is this gem of a book...

How to Make Friends With Bears

By Daniel Rivera

The title says it all. At times it can be a little hard to follow, as Mr. Rivera often gets sidetracked with such topics as child support and swine flu. Still, if you are looking for a book about bears, and how to befriend them, this book is for you. It also covers other situations that may arise in the wild, such as, "What do I do if a bear kills me?" You will find out in this book.
:ROFLMAO:😆 Nearly in tears.

Advertisement
I LOVED the Cartel, didn't even know there was a trilogy. I'll be buying those other two for sure.

Edit: not sure how the **** I didn't.knownthis was a trilogy since I only read the middle book
They're all worthy reads the first one Power of the Dog has some 70s new york mafia story involvement mixed in, that's the biggest difference with the second book

Travels With Charley - In Search of America, Steinbeck
Under the Banner of Heaven, John Krakauer
Into the Wild, John Krakauer
A River Runs Through It, Norman Maclean

Last edited:
Not sure if you are a baseball fan or not, but I recently read 'Wax Pack' by Brad Balukjian and it was one of the better books I've read in years. Currently reading the book that the movie "Field of Dreams" of based off of, 'Shoeless Joe' by W. P. Kinsella. Really good so far. A little different than the movie.

Advertisement
Islands in the Stream, Hemingway's last book. It's about an Artist / Big game fisherman living on Bimini during the start of WWII. It deals with ex-wives and trying to reconnect with his sons who are there for the summer. He's got an acohoic sidekick/1st mate that ends up getting him involved trying to smuggle some Jews into Cuba. There's a 17 or so page Marlin fight where his youngest tries to prove to his dad he won't quit that will **** near bring you to tears.

I obviously a seIf reflective book he based on his own shortcomings in Life He might have reflected on it too hard, because he shot himself before he finished it.

Great movie if you can find it with George C. Scott paying the lead role. Different ending.

220px-IslandsInTheStream.jpg

Advertisement
Same. I love the audible app.

Another series I "read" are all the Brad Thor books. Not bad, they get a little cheesy in spots.
I use an app called Smart AudioBook Player, and have found that private trackers dedicated to that sort of thing have a better selection then my old audible account.

Travels With Charley - In Search of America, Steinbeck
Under the Banner of Heaven, John Krakauer
Into the Wild, John Krakauer

A River Runs Through It, Norman Maclean
I read Into the Wild, didn't love it, really liked Into Thin Air by him though, great read

Advertisement
Back