OT: Books

If you're into sci-fi/horror, Jeff Long's "The Descent" and "Deeper" are really cool. My wife was on to me for years to read them, and I'm glad I finally took her up on doing so a few years ago. Basic premise: what if there is an existing physical portal to ****?

I'm a sucker for anything Neil Gaiman. If you've not actually read any of his works, do yourself a favor and dig in. Start with "American Gods" and keep going. Also - The Witcher series of books by Andrzej Sapkowski are entertaining reads as well - I started reading them after the Netflix series, and the books don't disappoint.

Non-Fiction - best two books I've read over the past few years are Maynard James Keenan's autobiography "A Perfect Union of Contrary Things", and Eli Saslow's "Rising Out of Hatred: The Awakening of a Former White Nationalist" are both excellent.

Advertisement
Eating with the enemy~How I waged peace with North Korea from my BBQ shack in Hackensack.

James Gandolfini was going to play the lead before he died. HBO has since shelved the movie for now.

About half way through pour your heart out by Howard schultz. Pretty interesting book on the history of Starbucks. Originally written in ‘97 if I’m not mistaken so a little “dated” I guess. Also just got finished reading principles by ray dalio which was pretty interesting.

Advertisement
If you like history, the Killing series by O'Reilly are great. In particular Killing England and Killing the Rising Sun were my favorites but they were all really good

Just started on "African Samurai" which was apparently going to be a movie until Chadwick Bozeman passed away.
So far so good.

Advertisement
I need some good urban book recommendations
@Astcloud11

homicide a year on the killing streets — David simon
The Corner— David Simon and Ed burns
A land remembered — pat smith
Steve Jobs autobiography—Walter isaacson
Five Families — Selwyn Raab
Rebel Yell — SC Gwyne
Stonewall Jackson — the man, the soldier; the legend
As the crow flies — Jeffery archer
1776 — David McCullough
Ben Franklin — isaacson

there are many more but those are pretty good. Most are history, bios, or real life events (Simon and burns. They also wrote the HBO series The Wire)

Red Storm Rising, Dragon's Fury - best WWIII books out there.

1612491237303.png

1612491249350.png

Christ Clone Trilogy

1612491305710.png

Japanese Destroyer Captain - told through the eyes of a maverick Japanese officer who survived WWII

1612491390309.png

Vienna Prelude - Book 1 of the excellent Zion Covenant series, which weaves historical fiction with the real-life runup to WWII

1612491481009.png

Midshipman's Hope - Fantastic first book about a 13 year old cadet thrust into command when every officer aboard is killed.

1612491578403.png

Advertisement
Great thread. Broken down by genre, my recommendations:

Modern Science fiction- The Expanse series. Significantly better than the TV series which is good in and of itself. I can't believe it hasn't already been mentioned. The writers (the series is co-written) are as good as any of the Sci Fi greats like Bradbury and Clarke.

Modern Light Fiction- Anything by Carl Hiaassen though I'm partial to Nature Girl as it's set in my favorite place in the world. A somewhat obscure corner of the southern part of Florida.

Modern General Fiction- Tim Robinson's "A Tropical Frontier" Series. I'm shocked how much I loved this. It's a bit like Little House on the Prairie in mid to late 1800's Florida. Follows a family for a couple generation through their lives initially living as wreckers living on Biscayne Bay when nobody was here, following some of them to St Augustine, back down to the Treasure Coast and finally to the Palm Beach area when people were finally starting to settle South Florida in more significant numbers. WAY better than you'd think and an accurate portrayal of the heaven South Florida used to be.

Historical Fiction- Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes. A fictional account loosely based on Marlante's (a Yale educated Rhodes scholar and decorated Marine) own experiences in Vietnam. One of the best books I have ever read. It's a gripping story, properly told about Vietnam.

Non-Fiction, Science- Incognito- the Secret Lives of the Brain by David Eagleman. Takes you deep in to the sub-conscious human brain. Found the book fascinating and illuminating. Eagleman was a huge part of PBS's recent series on the brain.

Non-Fiction Historical- The Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson. Includes An Army at Dawn about the North African campaign, The Day of Battle about the allies campaign in Sicily and Italy, and The Guns at Last Light about D-Day, and the liberation of Western Europe. Very well researched and written. I have been a WW2 buff since my earliest days reading, but not books have been more insightful than this series.

Advertisement
anybody know any good books on the history of miami?
Seth Bramson has some books on different geographical parts of greater Miami. I don't know if he has done a comprehensive history of the city, or whether it will be the best. There must be at least one or several basic histories.

Great thread. Broken down by genre, my recommendations:

Modern Science fiction- The Expanse series. Significantly better than the TV series which is good in and of itself. I can't believe it hasn't already been mentioned. The writers (the series is co-written) are as good as any of the Sci Fi greats like Bradbury and Clarke.

Modern Light Fiction- Anything by Carl Hiaassen though I'm partial to Nature Girl as it's set in my favorite place in the world. A somewhat obscure corner of the southern part of Florida.

Modern General Fiction- Tim Robinson's "A Tropical Frontier" Series. I'm shocked how much I loved this. It's a bit like Little House on the Prairie in mid to late 1800's Florida. Follows a family for a couple generation through their lives initially living as wreckers living on Biscayne Bay when nobody was here, following some of them to St Augustine, back down to the Treasure Coast and finally to the Palm Beach area when people were finally starting to settle South Florida in more significant numbers. WAY better than you'd think and an accurate portrayal of the heaven South Florida used to be.

Historical Fiction- Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes. A fictional account loosely based on Marlante's (a Yale educated Rhodes scholar and decorated Marine) own experiences in Vietnam. One of the best books I have ever read. It's a gripping story, properly told about Vietnam.

Non-Fiction, Science- Incognito- the Secret Lives of the Brain by David Eagleman. Takes you deep in to the sub-conscious human brain. Found the book fascinating and illuminating. Eagleman was a huge part of PBS's recent series on the brain.

Non-Fiction Historical- The Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson. Includes An Army at Dawn about the North African campaign, The Day of Battle about the allies campaign in Sicily and Italy, and The Guns at Last Light about D-Day, and the liberation of Western Europe. Very well researched and written. I have been a WW2 buff since my earliest days reading, but not books have been more insightful than this series.
From Stalingrad to Berlin is a fantastic account of the Eastern Front, as is When Titans Clashed. I’d also highly recommend Armageddon by Max Hastings.

Advertisement
Back