OT: Books

Astcloud11

Senior
Premium
Obviously wanted to post this in the Off-Topic forums but it isn't sports or covid related. Anyways...

Trying to get back in to reading. Anybody has some good books/novels to start on?

Advertisement
Obviously wanted to post this in the Off-Topic forums but it isn't sports or covid related. Anyways...

Trying to get back in to reading. Anybody has some good books/novels to start on?
If you are getting back into reading I would recommend a classic that would no doubt grab and keep your attention through its entirety.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck would be a great start. I am always engrossed in Steinbeck’s California but it’s the way he presents simple human truths that blows my mind.

Last edited:
I finished watching The Mandalorian and decided to pick up Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn.

It had been in my to-do list for a awhile, and finally made the jump. I'm enjoying it very much so far and will definitely read the next two in the series.

Screenshot_20210112-060225.png

Last edited:
I feel like Stephen King is highly overrated as far as horror is concerned, but when it comes to sci-fi/history, he is very solid.

"11/22/63"

It is a story of a reluctant time traveler from the present day who has a portal that can be used at any time to go back to 9/9/58. When traveling, no matter how long he stays in the past, it is only 2 minutes in the present. Each time he uses the portal, it resets everything previously done. He then uses it, with the guidance of a friend, to study Lee Harvey Oswald and stop the assassination of JFK. The past does not like to be changed though, and it presents some very unique and pressing challenges along the way.
It is a very accurate portrayal of how life was lived in the 50's and 60's, even down to the lingo. He (King) did a great job thinking through the time travel scenarios to ensure everything added up and didn't leave loose ends or completely bogus story lines.
Definitely a solid read.

Advertisement
Just read a great book - “Head Strong - How a Broken Neck Strengthened My Spirit” by Scott Fedor. Absolutely amazing and inspiring. Guy is my new hero.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Great thread OP. Each response so far has made me research the books listed and they all look like great reads.

I just finished reading Pachinko by Min Jin Lee. Very well written novel on a Korean family living under Japanese occupation with great character development.

The book I read before Pachinko was Shoe Dog by Phil Knight. Page turner. Great read.

Advertisement
The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. A grittier Game of Thrones.
2.jpg

Dark Tower Series by Stephen King
200px-Thedarktower7.jpg

Anything Michael Shaara
Thanks for the Joe Abercrombie tip, loved ASOIAF series, well the first 3 books anyway. I'll give these a try. Have you read any of the Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson, good read and unlike GRRM I think he'll finish the series.

We've all seen it, but if you've never read Jurassic Park... good lord. Still the most gripping, terrifying thing I've ever read. The Lost World was excellent as a book too despite the movie being pretty meh.

For non-fiction, read A Random Walk Down Wall Street and The Art of Happiness. Both easy reads that will benefit anyone.

Advertisement
Back