OT: Body fat %

ajkreider

Sophomore
Premium
To get it rolling (and out of every other practise thread from here to eternity):

What do you think is a healthy/can-be-maintained body fat percentage for each position? 13% for an olineman (Zion) seems too low

Advertisement
13% for an olineman (Zion) seems too low
Its not.

BTW, body fat% is only half the story. Every human being stores fat differently, sure, there are differences where males and females tend to deposit fat, but it differes from person to person.

Having 13% body fat doesnt tell me anything about his shape.

Advertisement
Its not.

BTW, body fat% is only half the story. Every human being stores fat differently, sure, there are differences where males and females tend to deposit fat, but it differes from person to person.

Having 13% body fat doesnt tell me anything about his shape.
I told my doctor the same thing. He said nice try, fat ***.

Advertisement
I say keep the body fat % nonsense in this thread and keep the practise thread clear of them. It's irrelevant and doesn't matter

To get it rolling (and out of every other practise thread from here to eternity):

What do you think is a healthy/can-be-maintained body fat percentage for each position? 13% for an olineman (Zion) seems too low
I was actually thinking the same thing when Zion said that. Does seem really low for an o lineman. In reality though, it doesn't matter too much. His strength and size are the most important things. So if his lifts match what they should, and his endurance is fine, then it really shouldn't matter all too much. I do think they are getting innacurate readings from somewhere though. Like whoever was claiming 4%, that is bogus. The human body starts having a lot of hormonal and other weird issues when you get below like 9% or so. To be "ripped" in the average person's eyes you only need to be 15% or lower as well.

tenor.gif

Advertisement
I'm not a physiologist but I have read a few things with the hopes of keeping my own slovenly body in shape, and yes 13% would seem too low for an OT. Less than 18% you should start seeing abs, don't think I've seen that on an OL.

A legit 13% (measured on a Dexa Scan not the bull**** calipers or scale) is very lean. 8-12 it’s pretty common to see a lot of abdominal definition. If it’s the same method that had Flagg at a 12 you can be pretty confident it’s not reliable. I would expect an OL in the high teens to mid 20s.

Don't forget that Zion is not a typical lineman. He came in around 240 or 250. (As an aside, I saw him on campus when he had just arrived and I thought he was an oversized linebacker.) He's probably leaner than most lineman. I suspect that he's likely above 13% b/c he's likely had to eat plenty to get up to the 312 he's listed at, but it's not entirely impossible either.

(If any of you remember Darryl Gardener on the Fins, he was massive at 290 or 300+ and likely under 10%. Granted, he was likely on stuff but it's possible. IIRC, he became a professional bodybuilder after his playing days ended.)

Advertisement
Flagg went from over 22% BPF to under 15% during the offseason.

Just saw this reported by someone who was quoting the UM dietician.

WR/DB < 6%
LB/TE/RB < 8%
OL/DL <12%

Then again it all depends on the frame. 6'8 300lb OT could be 10% but that would be tough to maintain.

Advertisement
Back