OT: Body fat %

Advertisement
I'm not a physiologist but I have read a few things with the hopes of keeping my own slovenly body in shape, and yes 13% would seem too low for an OT. Less than 18% you should start seeing abs, don't think I've seen that on an OL.
There’s not a chance in **** a male is seeing abs at 18%. At minimum 14% for this with lucky genetics. Most people have to get at or below 10%. You MIGHT be able to there at 12% at middle age but that’s still very rare.

Advertisement
To get it rolling (and out of every other practise thread from here to eternity):

What do you think is a healthy/can-be-maintained body fat percentage for each position? 13% for an olineman (Zion) seems too low
Zion said he’s at about 16. So which means he could be at 17. Not sure where y’all getting 13%

You need a perfect mix of fat and lean.
1616108313910.gif

Advertisement
Anything under 20% would be very lean for an offensive lineman. I found a study that had average measurements for players at the NFL combine from 2006-2013. The average OL at the combine was 6’5” 313lbs with just under 25% body fat. By comparison, the leanest average position was WR with an average body fat percentage of 9.4%

Advertisement
Advertisement
Don't forget that Zion is not a typical lineman. He came in around 240 or 250. (As an aside, I saw him on campus when he had just arrived and I thought he was an oversized linebacker.) He's probably leaner than most lineman. I suspect that he's likely above 13% b/c he's likely had to eat plenty to get up to the 312 he's listed at, but it's not entirely impossible either.

(If any of you remember Darryl Gardener on the Fins, he was massive at 290 or 300+ and likely under 10%. Granted, he was likely on stuff but it's possible. IIRC, he became a professional bodybuilder after his playing days ended.)
Him and Tim Bowens were beasts in the middle.

Advertisement
Back