OT: Big 12 expansion likely

Advertisement
Advertisement
Surprised they didn't bother going after any top teir teams. It would be interesting to see what comes of the acc will it get stronger or weaker? If Fsu were to leave the conference I doubt Miami would want to stay. If that happens I wouldn't mind going to the sec

If they don't expand they will likely lose Oklahoma so they really have no choice, they will likely choose 2 of BYU, Cincinnati and Memphis it is a shame that conference realignment has come to this....BYU and Cincinnati are the early favorites.

They should get Boise State, too. Put them in a real conference. I think it benefits both sides; Boise State is probably the biggest Group of 5 teams in the country and gives them a bigger audience and adds value to the conference. BYU would also be a decent fit.

Advertisement
I have Boise State and Houston...both of them already have a rivalry with TCU so put both of them in the same division

You need to look at several things, not the least of which are buyouts/media rights grants with current conferences, value the school actually ads (really eyeballs on televisions for leverage when you negotiate that conference network package), how the new conference will share revenues (particularly with Texas' current deal), and institutional resources available and allocated to, in this case, football and mens basketball.

When you do that you see likely candidates in Houston and SMU. Boise and Cincy will try hard to get in, but probably don't make it. BYU would be a player as well. Probably someone else I am forgetting, too.

They should add Boise State, BYU, Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Central Florida.

16 Team conference allows for 7 division games, 2 cross-over games (1 rivalry game), and 3 non-conference games. Each team could still schedule 1 cup-cake, and 2 non-conference games against another P-5 to reach their 12-game schedule.

North = Boise State, BYU, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Cincinnati (or WVU)

South = Texas, Houston, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Memphis, UCF, WVU (or Cincinnati)

Advertisement
They should add Boise State, BYU, Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Central Florida.

16 Team conference allows for 7 division games, 2 cross-over games (1 rivalry game), and 3 non-conference games. Each team could still schedule 1 cup-cake, and 2 non-conference games against another P-5 to reach their 12-game schedule.

North = Boise State, BYU, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Cincinnati (or WVU)

South = Texas, Houston, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Memphis, UCF, WVU (or Cincinnati)
Wouldn't that leave TCU vs. Boise state impossible to play...and that's a natural rivalry

Wouldn't that leave TCU vs. Boise state impossible to play...and that's a natural rivalry

IMO, the schedule would include 2 cross-over games every year, and 1 would be a "rivalry" game ... Meaning the same 2 cross-division teams would play every year.

It would be the same as Miami playing FSU every year, even though they're in different divisions.

Might be a little easier and prudent to just advocate for the freaking expansion of the Playoff to 8 teams instead of considering adding freaking Memphis to your conference. This type of collective stupidity by the other conferences is why the $EC and their puppet in Emmert are allowed to dictate so many things in football.

Advertisement
Might be a little easier and prudent to just advocate for the freaking expansion of the Playoff to 8 teams instead of considering adding freaking Memphis to your conference. This type of collective stupidity by the other conferences is why the $EC and their puppet in Emmert are allowed to dictate so many things in football.

How much worse would Memphis be than having Iowa State and Kansas??

And it wasn't long ago that Baylor was do-nothing program ...

Agree. Considering Memphis is the equivalent to the ACC or Big ten considering to add Temple....both don't have the body of work to strengthen their conference...hence teams like Boise state, BYU, Houston, and maybe Cincinnati should be considered because this whole thing is about strengthening their conference and adding a championship game that would mean something come committee selection time

Last edited:
My argument isn't necessarily against expansion. It's where I've read that a major component fueling their expansion talk was that they viewed it as an easier way to get their teams in the Playoff. That rationale just seems really flawed as you're still left at the mercy of people and media with SEC biases regardless of if you now have a conference championship game. The smart play would be to advocate for the 8 team Playoff and then go the expansion route too if the conference championship game will be a financial boon. I wouldn't view it as a ticket into a 4 team Playoff though.

My argument isn't necessarily against expansion. It's where I've read that a major component fueling their expansion talk was that they viewed it as an easier way to get their teams in the Playoff. That rationale just seems really flawed as you're still left at the mercy of people and media with SEC biases regardless of if you now have a conference championship game. The smart play would be to advocate for the 8 team Playoff and then go the expansion route too if the conference championship game will be a financial boon. I wouldn't view it as a ticket into a 4 team Playoff though.

where was the supposed sec bias when unbeaten auburn was left out of the bcs title game in favor of uscheat and ou?

Advertisement
Back