OT: Army football team leaves visiting locker room spotless after loss to Oklahoma

They teach you from day one in BCT... Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honesty, Integrity, Personal Courage = LDRSHIP. At least that's what they did in 2002 when I had to pleasure of spending 10 weeks at the lovely Ft. Knox. (that was the easy part)

This at the very least shows respect for others property, and integrity for policing up an area without expecting anyone to take notice. Granted these cadets go to West Point and not BCT....but the core values are the same across the Army. I am proud to see that SOME things have not changed.

Advertisement
Who cares. This is so dumb. Like leave it respectable, like don't smear ****e on the walls and break chairs and have a pile of used tape in the middle. But if there's an empty water bottle or 2 laying on the floor. Like my god who cares. It was the same in the little league world series I believe when Japan "left the locker room spotless after their lose". Then you get comments like "wow, Japan culture is so great". ahahahahaha. Who cares. I swear people in todays culture react and overreact to everything.

No waivers in David Robinson’s case. The height limitation is 6’6” for admittance only. Robinson was 6’6” when admitted. He grew to 6’11” while at the academy.

Wrong.

David Robinson was 6'8" when he joined the academy and did in fact need a waiver.

This isn't some top secret thing. Everyone knows about it. Except you I guess.

Advertisement
Lets not forget that the academic standards are on par with the top of the top schools.

IIRC if you graduate from anyone of the 3 main service academies you not only graduate with your degree in your major, but you also graduate with a mathematical degree because most of the course work outside your major is very math intensive and focused. In short, you need to be very, very good with numbers and equations.

For all athletes at USAFA, USNA, and the USMA, in-season weight standards are waived. Out of season, they need to be within compliance.

Not an easy task for the biggies on the OL/DL to yo-yo like that over 4 seasons (redshirts dont exists there).

Overall, the mission of ROTC and the Service Academies is to produce lethal leader/war fighters...not sports league professional athletes.

The debate about even D1 vs D2 participation has howled, especially over the last 10 years or so.

They also have to be able to run 2 or 3 miles I forget in under a certain time frame, do a certain number of pushups, not be over a certain height, not be over a certain weight, etc. That really hurts their OL and DL recruiting. Not many good OL will be able to do a lot of pushups, run 3 miles quickly, and not be over the height/weight requirement.

Cadets that are playing sports especially football do get waivers for height/weight while at the academy but once shipped to their unit they must meet the normal standards which is not hard at all. 2miles under 14:00 min 70 PU/SU each under 2 mins would be a respectable score. Players used to be able to file for deferred time if they had a chance at making a career of football don't know if this is true anymore. Regardless its nice to see the team act like professionals. FWIW enlisted personnel don't care for west pointers.
Army Infantry 2005-Current

Who cares. This is so dumb. Like leave it respectable, like don't smear ****e on the walls and break chairs and have a pile of used tape in the middle. But if there's an empty water bottle or 2 laying on the floor. Like my god who cares. It was the same in the little league world series I believe when Japan "left the locker room spotless after their lose". Then you get comments like "wow, Japan culture is so great". ahahahahaha. Who cares. I swear people in todays culture react and overreact to everything.

You sound as dumb as that idiot Litee 3000 from another board who laughed at the idea that the academic curriculum at the academies was difficult. He believed that teaching them to be in the military (paraphrasing) was all that was to it.

This is why our military is the best in the world. They take pride, as a whole, in everything they do. They were invited guests into somebody's home and they show that appreciation and pride by their actions upon leaving, no matter win or lose. Guys like you obviously can't see the quiet message it sends by doing what they, and the Japanese baseball team, did.

Advertisement
Yup, but I have heard Navy is more leniant with their waivers(which is why they usually dominate at the LOS during the Army vs Navy game). Army gives waivers as well, but not as many as Navy.

I've heard the same thing. I have a friend who played at Army and we were talking about the waivers this weekend. Navy, and even Air Force, hand out service waivers for their top athletes fairly frequently and/or have their athletes do Navy/Air Force recruiting. More recently, Army has been more flexible granting waivers, but it's still much more uncommon at Army.

You might want to add your name to the list of who doesn’t know - or the name Wikipedia. Inconclusive that he “was” 6’8”. Don’t think he was when accepted.
David Robinson (basketball) - Wikipedia

By his senior year in high school he was 6 feet, 6 inches tall, weighed 175 pounds, and had not played organized basketball or attended any basketball camps.[3] When the coach added the tall senior to the basketball team, Robinson earned all-area and all-district honors but generated little interest among college basketball coaches. Robinson scored 1320 on the SAT, and chose to go to the United States Naval Academy, where he majored in mathematics.

David Robinson is widely considered to be the best basketball player in Naval Academy history.[4] He chose the jersey number 50 after his idol Ralph Sampson. By the time he took the court in his first basketball game for the Navy Midshipmen men's basketball team, he had grown to 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m),

Wrong answer. Pay attention to the bolded part especially where it says "waiver", then shut your ***** mouth.

From your wiki link:

Robinson was 6 ft. 8 in. when he was admitted to the Naval Academy, two inches above the height limit, but received a waiver from the Superintendent of the Academy. Robinson considered leaving the academy after his second year, before incurring an obligation to serve in active duty. He decided to stay after discussing with the Superintendent the likelihood that his height would prevent serving at sea as an unrestricted line officer, hurting his naval career, and might make it impossible for him to be commissioned at all. As a compromise, Secretary of the Navy John Lehman allowed Robinson to train for and receive his commission as a staff officer in the Civil Engineer Corps community.

This is why our military is the best in the world. They take pride, as a whole, in everything they do. They were invited guests into somebody's home and they show that appreciation and pride by their actions upon leaving, no matter win or lose. Guys like you obviously can't see the quiet message it sends by doing what they, and the Japanese baseball team, did.

I still think you are a troll, but you are 100% on this one.

Advertisement
pay attention: that’s why I wrote “inconclusive”. No proof either way (yours or Wikipedia) of how tall he was when he was accepted. We know he was 6’6” his senior year and 6’8” for his first game.

NOthing inconclusive about "recieved a waiver" . What part of that is inconclusive?

We know for a fact that he got a waiver. Here is NY Times article from 1987 about it.

NAVY TO CUT ROBINSON'S TOUR TO 2 YEARS

Here is a Fb post from the official Dept. of Veteran Affairs about the "waiver"
(edit) hmm link wont work but it's an easy google.

At this point your just trying to boost your porst count or something. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

1. not that you would know this, but Robinson is one of my top 3 favorite players ever.
2. We might be talking about two different things. A) Waiver at acceptance to the Annapolis; B) waiver of 5 year commitment to serve.

I’m talking about the former and it sounds like you’re talking about the latter (which we all know he received a waiver; Napoleon McCallum also received a waiver...can’t remem if Staubach served all 5).

I am talking about the former. A)Waiver at acceptance to Annapolis.

It clearly states that in the wiki post that you linked.

I wonder if the condition of getting a waiver in the Army is contingent on which MOS you agree to. There are many different types of jobs in the Army. Some, like Armor or anything having to do with flight crew, should be a no-go for someone 6'8" and over 300 lbs. Meanwhile a job on the IT side your physical dimensions wouldn't matter so much. I've never had to deal with this subject in the Army so I have no idea. Would be interesting to know.

Advertisement
I wonder if the condition of getting a waiver in the Army is contingent on which MOS you agree to. There are many different types of jobs in the Army. Some, like Armor or anything having to do with flight crew, should be a no-go for someone 6'8" and over 300 lbs. Meanwhile a job on the IT side your physical dimensions wouldn't matter so much. I've never had to deal with this subject in the Army so I have no idea. Would be interesting to know.

Officers don't have MOS.

Officers don't have MOS.

I see, they just call it a different thing. It's an AOC, area of concentration. Whatever, my point still applies even though I am apparently ignorant of the fact that all those smart people leading me had AOC instead of MOS. Is this a new thing?

Advertisement
Back