OT: A Kid from Coney Island (Netflix)

Look forward to it. Honestly. Early to Mid 90s was the golden age of high school ball and college ball. Great stuff.

Advertisement
Absolutely. Cam was the 1 and Mase the 2. Richie Parker was also on the team. The played for Manhattan Center. The next year was the year of all the Richie Parker drama.

Maybe someone can help my memory out here - I remember around 92 or 93 Gauchos might have stopped competing in AAU and joined another league? I remember a kid from Cali named Shea Cotton(?) whose team also left AAU to play in this other league. Always thought it was a shame that they left, but I remember seeing Riverside Church a lot more than Gauchos
Shea Cotton is another guy who didn't live up to the hype. I live in Metro Phoenix and while I'm not sure what the AAU circuit looks like here, they do have Hillcrest Prep which is one of these baketball schools like Montverde/ Oak Hill. I plan on catching a game or two when everything goes back to normal. Makur Maker, who just signed with Howard, played there last year along with Puff Johnson who's going to Carolina. Michael Foster is the next big name up from Hillcrest for 2021. He's a 5 star.

Schea Cotton. Talk about a blast from the past. Kid was on the cover of SI as a high schooler. Funny and weird connection. Schea Cotton played a role indirectly in Chris Porter from Auburn ultimately getting suspended at the end of his senior year.

Schea Cotton. Talk about a blast from the past. Kid was on the cover of SI as a high schooler. Funny and weird connection. Schea Cotton played a role indirectly in Chris Porter from Auburn ultimately getting suspended at the end of his senior year.
I could be wrong here but around 93-94, Nike created their own summer league to compete with AAU (I believe this is also the same time they developed ABCD to compete with Five-Star). I believe this all kinda revolved around Schea Cotton, as his AAU team no longer competed in the official AAU District and National tournaments. And I believe Gauchos followed suit. That being said, Nike was still sponsoring AAU teams all over the country.

EDIT: Was just told I am a little off here. Maybe it wasn't Nike, but there was a break from AAU around 93 because Schea Cotton's team and Gauchos did not compete

Last edited:
Advertisement
****, yeah, from Tilden in Brooklyn. It was supposed to be Cota vs Marbury in the Garden for the finals but Tilden got upset
Before your time, but don't forget about Rod Strickland (Truman HS & Gauchos). I remember first seeing Marbury play as a soph at Lincoln vs. Christ the King. You could see then how good he was going to become.

****, yeah, from Tilden in Brooklyn. It was supposed to be Cota vs Marbury in the Garden for the finals but Tilden got upset
So here's a question for you. If you had to put together an All NYC Team based on their high school careers, what would your starting 5 be? Kareem at center. PG's are interchangable. Lopez at the 3? Lamar Odom at the 4? I have no idea who would play the 2.

Advertisement
Y'all ever played the team from the documentary "Soul In The Hole"? That "Booger" Smith kid had game.

There was a lot of hype around Booger. I thought he played AAU for Dyckman, but that doesn't make much sense if he was from Brooklyn. I actually thought Dyckman started an AAU program because of Booger, but my memory is probably wrong

Soul in the Hole was focused around summer tourneys in Brooklyn. Mid 90s summers in NY playing basketball...doesn't get much better than that

So here's a question for you. If you had to put together an All NYC Team based on their high school careers, what would your starting 5 be? Kareem at center. PG's are interchangable. Lopez at the 3? Lamar Odom at the 4? I have no idea who would play the 2.
I would just put a few point guards on the team lol

That's tough. Let me think on it

Last edited:
Before your time, but don't forget about Rod Strickland (Truman HS & Gauchos). I remember first seeing Marbury play as a soph at Lincoln vs. Christ the King. You could see then how good he was going to become.
I'm leaving a lot of people out. When I was a kid I only read books about NYC basketball legends. From 5th grade through 10th grade I only cared and thought about basketball.

What do you think happened to Felipe Lopez in terms of his career? Felipe Lopez was like, "The guy," coming out of HS. Then he goes to St Johns for a couple of years, and that's pretty much it. He didn't live up to the hype.

Most people thought Lopez should've come out after His Jr. year, but He said He wanted to get His degree. He didn't live up to the lofty expectations, but He had a pretty solid College career, and He had a 5 year pro career.

Advertisement
Lloyd Daniels, James Williams

Advertisement
@Stylie thanks for the thread. Threw up in my mouth a little over the Knicks/Isaiah Thomas part. Completely forgot about the $20 And1 sneakers. I definitely remember the off youtube videos and I'm glad he found happiness in China. We all have issues, and ultimately Marbury never did any harm to anybody. He's good people

Shea Cotton is another guy who didn't live up to the hype. I live in Metro Phoenix and while I'm not sure what the AAU circuit looks like here, they do have Hillcrest Prep which is one of these baketball schools like Montverde/ Oak Hill. I plan on catching a game or two when everything goes back to normal. Makur Maker, who just signed with Howard, played there last year along with Puff Johnson who's going to Carolina. Michael Foster is the next big name up from Hillcrest for 2021. He's a 5 star.

True story about Schea:

When I was at Long Beach St; The Clippers used our basketball gym as their Summer League practice facilities. So me and my boys are playing pick up, and some of the try out guys come through, one being Cotton.

So my boy Ashley is super athletic; like 6’6 w/ a 40 inch vert. I throw a lob off the backboard and he reverse tomahawks. Gym goes wild; alright so now we are starting to be kicked out for the practice session. Shea calls out my boy Ashley. Ashley is a Bible thumper, which is y he never pursued basketball like that, but he won’t back down from a challenge. They went to 7, one on one. Ashley 7 / Cotton 2.

Elgin Baylor was there w/one of the assistant coaches from Dunleavy’s staff just peeking in, and they immediately tried to talk to my boy Ash, but he was clear his intent was to go into missionary work. I’m pretty sure Schea got cut very soon thereafter.

He was the case of a kid that grew too fast, so he was more physically mature than other kids, but once he played against other good competition, he wasn’t that great.

Advertisement
Back