OT: A Kid from Coney Island (Netflix)

Advertisement
You agree with this list?

So..stepping away from the fam to give a quick response, but will honestly be up all night thinking about this. I wish I had more time to gather all the memories.

80-90s bbal... a NYC 3 or 4 would have better ball handling skills than a top PG recruit from anywhere in the country. That is what separated NY (and IMO Big East) bball from everywhere else. Hard to argue that list, but you simply cannot make a "Top NYC PG list". But most of those players are not from my time period, I am surprised to not see God Shamgod on the list. Felipe Lopez was also a legend in high school. So was Lloyd Daniels. Those last two would technically not be classified as 1's in the 90s but they could handle the ball better than any 1 in the country. And gotta say the Newtown team with Smush Parker and Charlie Villanueva was something unreal to see (although they did not win the City).

Different era and I have so many great stories of kids that came from nothing and made a living playing basketball overseas. No NBA-ers on my AAU team but 75% played D1 and quite a few played professionally overseas.

Advertisement
So..stepping away from the fam to give a quick response, but will honestly be up all night thinking about this. I wish I had more time to gather all the memories.

80-90s bbal... a NYC 3 or 4 would have better ball handling skills than a top PG recruit from anywhere in the country. That is what separated NY (and IMO Big East) bball from everywhere else. Hard to argue that list, but you simply cannot make a "Top NYC PG list". But most of those players are not from my time period, I am surprised to not see God Shamgod on the list. Felipe Lopez was also a legend in high school. So was Lloyd Daniels. Those last two would technically not be classified as 1's in the 90s but they could handle the ball better than any 1 in the country. And gotta say the Newtown team with Smush Parker and Charlie Villanueva was something unreal to see (although they did not win the City).

Different era and I have so many great stories of kids that came from nothing and made a living playing basketball overseas. No NBA-ers on my AAU team but 75% played D1 and quite a few played professionally overseas.
God Shamgod is also in this documentary being interviewed. What do you think happened to Felipe Lopez in terms of his career? Felipe Lopez was like, "The guy," coming out of HS. Then he goes to St Johns for a couple of years, and that's pretty much it. He didn't live up to the hype.

Wow, watching ASAP. I know AAU has a bad rep now but in the 90s AAU was such a great experience. So many great memories and it was really unprecedented to see so much talent on one floor between high schoolers. I grew up dreaming of playing for Gauchos, but looking back it was an honor to be competing against them.
Even in 2000’s it was great. I would say within last 10 years it has taken a turn for the worst. Had many battles against the gauchos in big tournaments. Also most of my family played for the city rocks up in Albany. The gauchos are a great program and that gym is insane

Advertisement
Bobby Cremins had those Georgia Tech teams hot with the NYC point guards.... Kenny Anderson, Marbury, Travis Best. That was good ball.
Add Henry Bruce Dalrymple to that guard group..Cremins first big time national recruit from NYC. ACC rookie of the year and one of its best rebounding guards ever.

God Shamgod is also in this documentary being interviewed. What do you think happened to Felipe Lopez in terms of his career? Felipe Lopez was like, "The guy," coming out of HS. Then he goes to St Johns for a couple of years, and that's pretty much it. He didn't live up to the hype.
That Rice team was one of the best ever. Super aggressive and did nothing but take it straight to the rim. You knew where they were going but you were not going to stop it. That was also just the game back then, and it was great game to watch.

I always felt that Felipe never developed a perimeter game and I also do not think he shined being a part of half court collegiate offense. He was more comfortable in transition. I think eventually he needed to be a threat on the perimeter. But his instinct was take the ball to the rim and I don't think he ever developed into a true "winger", which is what would have brought him success at the NBA level. A bit of shame because he had a nice shooting mechanic.

Speaking of SJ, Omar Cook was another good one from CTK

I think Zendon Hamilton was the better player on those teams.

Advertisement
Even in 2000’s it was great. I would say within last 10 years it has taken a turn for the worst. Had many battles against the gauchos in big tournaments. Also most of my family played for the city rocks up in Albany. The gauchos are a great program and that gym is insane
City Rocks / upstate NY is good people. Not sure if it was called "City Rocks" back in the mid 90s but I had a lot of respect for those dudes. I camped in PA every summer and remember one summer having a few Albany kids at my meal table and we became really close.

Advertisement
That Rice team was one of the best ever. Super aggressive and did nothing but take it straight to the rim. You knew where they were going but you were not going to stop it. That was also just the game back then, and it was great game to watch.

I always felt that Felipe never developed a perimeter game and I also do not think he shined being a part of half court collegiate offense. He was more comfortable in transition. I think eventually he needed to be a threat on the perimeter. But his instinct was take the ball to the rim and I don't think he ever developed into a true "winger", which is what would have brought him success at the NBA level. A bit of shame because he had a nice shooting mechanic.

Speaking of SJ, Omar Cook was another good one from CTK
Omar shouldn't had jump to the pros so early. Kemba is another NY PG. He's the man.

So Mase and Cam'Ron were ballers? That I did not know. What happened to Mase?
Absolutely. Cam was the 1 and Mase the 2. Richie Parker was also on the team. The played for Manhattan Center. The next year was the year of all the Richie Parker drama.

Maybe someone can help my memory out here - I remember around 92 or 93 Gauchos might have stopped competing in AAU and joined another league? I remember a kid from Cali named Shea Cotton(?) whose team also left AAU to play in this other league. Always thought it was a shame that they left, but I remember seeing Riverside Church a lot more than Gauchos

Advertisement
Back