Orgeron Model and/or Dabo Model?

UNC is recruiting well and it appears that VT, UVA, and GT are stepping it up as well. I would not assume anything.
good point ... it's funny you mentioned VT, they were calling for his head as well, he made the change on offense (the QB) and they took off ... again, we're a few changes away ... i think we have the qb on the roster, we just need the right guy to put them in situations to succeed

Advertisement
Keep battling Ageezy. Respect a person who sticks to his beliefs.

Manny could hit a HR on his OC pick and propel a major improvement. You are correct on that. And F LSU and who they are.

That said, I can’t get manny’s look after the FIU loss out of my head. It was telling. The me scared look. So, the downside of hitting on the OC is that it is or might be a short term fix and might be no fix when the ammo starts to fly in a big time game. Manny isn’t a great coach.

Know what's funny is that Clemson fans were saying the same thing.. They're not invested in the program after not firing Dabo after going 6-7 or Dabo needs to go after getting his doors blown off by West Virginia. Or how about why didn't they even look for a new coach after they fired bowden. You all look at what these dudes are right now and forget about all the crappy seasons and things they had to go through to get there.

With Manny being retained, but firing Enos it reminded of what LSU has done with Orgeron. They too had underachieved for a few years, however continued to give him time to fix it, despite loud calls for his head.

Give Manny or whoever credit for recognizing that Eno's offense wasn't the answer. We gave up 20pts a game, with a lot of youth on defense. I'm not sold on Manny at all, but if we can get an offensive guy in here that can help us put up points, we may get this thing right.

Very well put.

Advertisement
Your reference to Ed Orgeron and LSU is not a good comparison point. Ed and LSU situation has no similarity to UM. Why...?

Les Miles was fired 4 games into the 2016 season. Ed was 6-2 in the games that he coached as interim HC to finish the season. Once elevated to HC, he has compiled the following record: 2017 season 9-4, 2018 season 10-3, 2019 13-0 and on brink of a national championship.

The "Underachieving" that you referenced at LSU was under Les Miles, as they had started to slip the last few years of his tenure, and finally culminating in Les being fired after 4 games in 2016 season.

The characterization that they gave him "time to fix it, despite calls for his head..." does not reflect the facts or reality of Ed's tenure at LSU.

There was most certainly a portion of their fanbase that wanted Ed O gone. In particular when they lost to Troy.

LSU slipping under Miles, that happens when you come off a national championship half a decade ago.

Had to look, but here was their last three under Miles.

10-3, 8-5, 9-3. Prior to that another 10-3 year with a national championship the prior year.

A problem under Miles, their offense. Defensively, LSU has been near the top for a decade. The offense was still a problem under Ed O, he made a change.

Nobody expected the turn around made this year. Prior to it, LSU and Ed O were losing to the same teams Miles was and he wasn't comfortable in his chair.

LSU admins want more though. So they moved from Miles and took a big chance on Ed O.

I get where the OP was going. He's throwing out that Ed O (Miles as well) had it going on on defense, and hiring the right OC has now made them successful.

Maybe that works here. No way the people here aren't calling for Ed O's head with the record he posted initially. They would've been head hunting a new OC at the very least.

Don't waste too much time on them though OP. They are out for blood and too entrenched to discuss anything other than firing Manny at this point.

With Manny being retained, but firing Enos it reminded of what LSU has done with Orgeron. They too had underachieved for a few years, however continued to give him time to fix it, despite loud calls for his head.

Give Manny or whoever credit for recognizing that Eno's offense wasn't the answer. We gave up 20pts a game, with a lot of youth on defense. I'm not sold on Manny at all, but if we can get an offensive guy in here that can help us put up points, we may get this thing right.
Manny is too arrogant to pull a coach o

good point ... it's funny you mentioned VT, they were calling for his head as well, he made the change on offense (the QB) and they took off ... again, we're a few changes away ... i think we have the qb on the roster, we just need the right guy to put them in situations to succeed
OP is a troll. But indulging the troll, I agree ... provides those few changes include our AD and Head Coach.

OP is a troll. But indulging the troll, I agree ... provides those few changes include our AD and Head Coach.
a troll ... wow ... and the AD and head coach aren't going anywhere obviously, so are you just gonna cry until they do?

Advertisement
Nobody knows what the future holds - good or bad. Having said that, clearly this year was a disaster, primarily because of the ineptitude of the offense. Manny made the right move by firing Enos. Will it lead to a marked improvement? We don’t know, but his first decision was the right one.

Nobody knows what the future holds - good or bad. Having said that, clearly this year was a disaster, primarily because of the ineptitude of the offense. Manny made the right move by firing Enos. Will it lead to a marked improvement? We don’t know, but his first decision was the right one.
don't say that ... your a troll ... but i agree, we hit on offense, we energize the defense, the team, and the fanbase ...

LSU was consistently one competent QB away from being really good. They have him and look where they are.

Miami is a complete rebuild. Currently a bad program all the way around due to many issues. They are particularly weak at the LOS and QB position.

Miami will only sink further with this staff in place.

Advertisement
and guess what, they were bad on third down again this year. look up the statistics.

so no he didnt adapt. he sucks.
When manny was the DC in 2017 we were 127 and in 2018 we were 59 on 3rd down and the changes from 59 down is very small. Adapting as the DC!!!

Promoting Coach O on an interim basis was a no-brainer for LSU. He had done the same at USC and despite complete failure as HC at Ole Miss he was one assistant on the staff who could lead the program for the balance of a season. Hiring him afterwards was controversial, because of his complete failure at Ole Miss. He came rather cheap, too. LSU had a huge payout to Miles.

He did well his first two seasons but realized he couldn’t fully succeed his way. He couldn’t micro-manage everything as he tried to do at Ole Miss. He looked at what teams did to beat Alabama - run a spread offense - and implemented one. He thought he had the QB and took the odd route of hiring a NFL assistant analyst to supplement his coaching staff. Notice he didn’t go out an hire the biggest OC name he could find. He didn’t hire anyone named Briles, or hire someone away from OU, Clemson, Oregon, etc.

Worked brilliantly.

LSU and Clemson fully invested into the program.

UM doesn’t even know we play football
Yet they raised money for an IPF, paid an OC more than a mil and went for a name hire a few years ago with Richt. Don’t get me wrong, we’re not the Clemsons and LSU’s of the world and haven’t been in some time, but don’t just be blind in seeing the “admin” has tried (albeit unsuccessfully at times) to get this football thing right. We know our failures, don’t dismiss the good things we’ve done/tried just to prove a point. Everyone knew the titanic was sinking, no point of pointing out how bad the room service was too (this analogy will be this post downfall lmao) 🤷🏾‍♂️

Advertisement
Ok before the no-reading comprehension, "hooked on phonics" dummies jump in: let me get this out of the way- in the forthcoming post, I'm not saying Diaz is any way comparable to Dabo in terms of coaching ability. Is that crystal clear?

So in year 3 of Dabos tenure, he went 6-7. Yes, this horrendous year actually occurred in year 3 for Dabo vice year 1 for Diaz. Let's say Diaz had a more successful year 2 and won 9 games. Fools gold, right? Can you imagine the meltdown if Diaz followed that with another 6-7 season? It would be unanimous that Diaz would have to be fired.

So how did Dabo survive with such a horrendous year 3? He fired his OC and hired a little known OC from Tulsa. Next year he won 10. Then he replaced his DC with Venables and the rest is history. As others pointed out, Eddy O never had a season as bad as Diaz, but Dabo Swinney did in year 3. It would follow that the model that would be most like what Diaz just went through would be to look at Clemson's model rather than LSU's because Clemson was a program losing money while LSU has always had insane amounts of booster $$$.

first you can't blame the current coach for the last fifteen years of the program ... also, manny had our defense playing at a high level as a DC ... not elite but good enough to win the ACC which should be the first step in our resurgence
Thank you . People trying to blame Diaz for **** for 20 years ago LOL. Diaz is to blame for 1 thing - hiring the wrong OC . Our D was amazing all things considered ( the positions they were put in ) . Punting got better , we need to find a kicker but who knew the good one we had would **** the bed . We just need to hire a guy who motivate the QB and call great plays. We do that Diaz will succeed .

Thank you . People trying to blame Diaz for **** for 20 years ago LOL. Diaz is to blame for 1 thing - hiring the wrong OC . Our D was amazing all things considered ( the positions they were put in ) . Punting got better , we need to find a kicker but who knew the good one we had would **** the bed . We just need to hire a guy who motivate the QB and call great plays. We do that Diaz will succeed .
on the strength of your post, i changed the title of the thread ... i'm confident we will improve our kicking as we're going after the fiu kid ... watching today illustrates enos archaic ideas as neither penn state nor memphis have touched the center's butt yet

Ok before the no-reading comprehension, "hooked on phonics" dummies jump in: let me get this out of the way- in the forthcoming post, I'm not saying Diaz is any way comparable to Dabo in terms of coaching ability. Is that crystal clear?

So in year 3 of Dabos tenure, he went 6-7. Yes, this horrendous year actually occurred in year 3 for Dabo vice year 1 for Diaz. Let's say Diaz had a more successful year 2 and won 9 games. Fools gold, right? Can you imagine the meltdown if Diaz followed that with another 6-7 season? It would be unanimous that Diaz would have to be fired.

So how did Dabo survive with such a horrendous year 3? He fired his OC and hired a little known OC from Tulsa. Next year he won 10. Then he replaced his DC with Venables and the rest is history. As others pointed out, Eddy O never had a season as bad as Diaz, but Dabo Swinney did in year 3. It would follow that the model that would be most like what Diaz just went through would be to look at Clemson's model rather than LSU's because Clemson was a program losing money while LSU has always had insane amounts of booster $$$.

Dabo never lost his locker room though. I think Manny has lost this team.

Advertisement
Back