Opting Out & Canes Football

Advertisement
Gerald Willis opted out of the Pinstripe Bowl in NYC, and that helped him go undrafted. Not sure who advises our players on the NFL prospects, but all of our draft eligible players need to stay as long as they can and play in every game. Because each game could be your last, even when you avoid injuries

Do we think it is the players, culture/team, both?
I’ve always been a firm believer that culture breeds players. Think about it like this:

If you have a child that grows up in a dysfunctional household, what’s the likelihood they’ll become dysfunctional? Or if you have a child that grows up in a affluent household, what’s the likelihood they’ll grow up successful? Are there exceptions to the rule? Of course! But, as I posed to my brothers on here before: how is that 247 & all these recruiting services wrong on ONLY OUR PLAYERS? Lol.

Now; I’m not saying that some of our kids aren’t getting bad advice, b/c they absolutely are...but it’s much easier to follow bad advice when the culture is poor.

Advertisement
Absolutely.

Kids aren't gonna stick around unless there's a reason too. This is what you see at the powerhouse programs.

Those kids know they're being developed on and off the field. They know they have good coaches who are going to put them into position to succeed on the field. They know everything off the field is there to help them too (film study, weight room, diet).

They know that every year they send there will result in them getting drafted higher and being more NFL ready.

They know that they will always be in contention for the national title.

They know if they compete and are the best, they will start and play the whole game.

The Miami players who leave early aren't all just dumb, naive kids who think they're underrated first round talent.

They know that they aren't being developed properly and they know the coaches aren't going to play the best kids. They know they'll lose to good teams.

They aren't having fun.

Imagine being Greg Rousseau. A first round talent. Starting half the games bc the coaches want to rotate the entire roster. Losing 7 games. Inuding to FIU and LA Tech. I'd leave too. Does anyone really think he opted out bc of COVID? Please..

Until we get coaches who know how to run a proper, disciplined team things aren't going to change.

But, Miami is the kind of place where they can turn around and change extremely fast.

You are a n ever ending fountain of hot takes man. The one about GR was particularly hot. An all time classic. Only you would use a SOPHOMORE who had nearly 20 sacks as an example of lack of develompment.

Btw, last year Bama, Ohio State, Georgia and LS had 24 underclassmen declare for the draft. Other than Clemson no team has kids staying for ANY of the reasons you just spewed out.

PS. We are 7-1.

You are a n ever ending fountain of hot takes man. The one about GR was particularly hot. An all time classic. Only you would use a SOPHOMORE who had nearly 20 sacks as an example of lack of develompment.

Btw, last year Bama, Ohio State, Georgia and LS had 24 underclassmen declare for the draft. Other than Clemson no team has kids staying for ANY of the reasons you just spewed out.

PS. We are 7-1.
That 2001 was team.. could imagine if those guys could’ve been developed? Went to the nfl
Instead and ruined careers.

I’ve always been a firm believer that culture breeds players. Think about it like this:

If you have a child that grows up in a dysfunctional household, what’s the likelihood they’ll become dysfunctional? Or if you have a child that grows up in a affluent household, what’s the likelihood hood they’ll grow up successful? Are there exceptions to the rule? Of course! But, as I posed to my brothers on here before: how is that 247 & all these recruiting services wrong on ONLY OUR PLAYERS? Lol.

Now; I’m not saying that some of our kids aren’t getting bad advice, b/c they absolutely are...but it’s much easier to follow bad advice when the culture is poor.
Good questions. I wonder if it is part of the reason families want their kids to get away...

Advertisement
Kids today have no patience. This is the generation of instant gratification and little accountability . Everything today is a fingertip away. Instant gratification and adulation via social media. They have a problem, they post it, and people will suck them off so they think they're great and their lack of performance isn't on them, but something else.

They don't know how to work for things and wait for the results to come from their hard work. It doesn't happen right now, it isn't their fault and they're looking to go somewhere else. Someone will sell them a basket of rainbows and sunshine.

It's easy to be a high school stud when you're faster, stronger, and athletic as ****. You won't run into too many kids like you. You get to college, now everyone is like you or **** close. College will break them or make them and the lazy ones will fail while blaming everyone but the face stating back in the mirror at them.

Most every player I played with in college came in like they were the hottest **** in the nation. Some were tentative and even scared. Some were broken right away while others went to work. Talent in college only gets you so far.

Obviously there's been some wrong around here. We gotta win on the field, but we gotta win off of it. If I was coaching these days, I would be tough as nails and weed players out. I want guys who will try and go through a brick wall for you and their teammates. The problem is finding those kids, they're few and far between now. They aren't loyal like they used to be and transfers in high school would have to be looked at hard.

The early departures that are head scratches, they didn't want it bad enough or never had that next level stuff to begin with. Shortsighted and for many, it won't get better when they leave.

He left early for what then?

And what would be a good comparison - Bandy? Kaaya? Forston? RJ McIntosh?
He left early because he had a family to support if I remember correctly

Kaaya and Bandy are what they are and one more year would have done very little to improve their stock

I think you nailed it with Forston and RJ tho, another year of production could have helped them

Advertisement
There’s been a lot of discussions on this board for years about our players, prematurely, leaving after substandard Jr years, and rightfully so.

I’ve mentioned before that I believe we have mass exodus b/c it’s not fun here, too much dysfunction, and there’s no incentive both financially or, more importantly, on the grid iron for these kids to stay. Furthermore, we’ve seen player’s draft grades plummet from their So. year to their Jr. year, and some are hoping scouts will give them a shot to fulfill a previous thought of said player. (See Brad Kaaya)

Now, what in the **** does that have to do with these opt outs? Today Roshad Bateman opted out. Why? Well, there’s a good chance due to Minnesota sucking this yr, after having a very promising season last yr. He’s a projected 1st round pick, but his team took a huge step back & are completely out of contention, so what’s the incentive to stay? We saw Parrish Ford opt out in the middle of the season; same thing. Micah Parson saw the would be chit show develop at PSU, so what’s the incentive?

At the end of the day, these kids have aspirations & the majority are competitive. To contrast, why did majority of high profiled players from OSU, Clemson, Bama, UGA, OU, Oregon opt in? Boosters weren’t just the cause b/c NFL big bank will trump any booster bread; it’s b/c there was team incentives involved. Football is hella fun when u’re winning & you have a shot at a Nat’l title.

That’s the difference between Miami today & Miami yesterday. I’m not in So Fla, and I’ve never claimed to be an insider, but being that I’ve had god-sons & cousins play P5 football, along w/ friendship of former NFL players; we talk, & trust when I tell you that a kid is most likely to stay when they feel an accomplishment can be achieved. They will stay when the program is on par or they feel they can be developed further.

These kids have one shot; so while as a fan I might disagree & get angry b/c I know we could use them....if our program ain’t tight, or if they feel they are losing $ staying, they are going to look out for #1.

Is it foolish for our guys to leave early w a low to non draft grade? Absolutely. But if u’re not winning, the program is a mess, ur development is remaining stagnant or non existent (see Anthony Chickillo’s interview w Pittsburgh), then what’s the incentive, when the next play could be your last?
Do you think that if the majority of our guys came back for that extra year, we would be in preseason playoff conversation?

I mean can you 8magine how big that would be for the future of the program?

Another year of development for the OL, WRs, the young DL coming in and already here.

I would almost bet that it could define our program for the next 3-5 years. Let's now forget we got Bama in game 1 next year. I could only imagine King in his 2nd year with this same group!

He left early because he had a family to support if I remember correctly

Kaaya and Bandy are what they are and one more year would have done very little to improve their stock

I think you nailed it with Forston and RJ tho, another year of production could have helped them
Good points by everyone on RB - like with this year I think most here get Cam leaving, but we all struggle with many of the other eligible underclassman bolting...

Maybe it’s just fans looking and saying 7-1, chance to make a run in 2021 with experience and depth...while improving their draft stock...

And they see some agents selling **** burgers as filet mignon ..

Good points by everyone on RB - like with this year I think most here get Cam leaving, but we all struggle with many of the other eligible underclassman bolting...

Maybe it’s just fans looking and saying 7-1, chance to make a run in 2021 with experience and depth...while improving their draft stock...

And they see some agents selling **** burgers as filet mignon ..
Yeah I think RB is the probably the one exception where kids don't lose much by leaving early.

Also, I REALLY hope Joe Yearby got his degree while he was here. Would be a real shame if he wasted his scholarship and didn't at least have that UM diploma to show for it.

Advertisement
Do you think that if the majority of our guys came back for that extra year, we would be in preseason playoff conversation?

I mean can you 8magine how big that would be for the future of the program?

Another year of development for the OL, WRs, the young DL coming in and already here.

I would almost bet that it could define our program for the next 3-5 years. Let's now forget we got Bama in game 1 next year. I could only imagine King in his 2nd year with this same group!
No arguments here; I think we can start doing that when we continuously show we can incentivize these kids by rewarding them by staying (i.e playing in the ACCCG, being in conversation for CFP, draft stocks rising, etc.) Until that happens, we’re going to continue to see guys w/o any incentives to stick around, leave prematurely.

Bro, I played for a suck *** high school team. I dreaded football practices & study sessions. In my head & I accidentally slipped one time, I was like for what? It was only a couple of us that had any college looks, so that helped, but to get continually embarrassed or no shot at even our division? FOH. Guess what? In a meaningless homecoming game, I got the whole right side of my body caved in. Took me yrs to recover. So not only was football not fun, but in the process any college aspirations I had went out the window on one play.

So I get why these kids r opting out or r leaving early. It didn’t happen like that before here; why? B/c we were winning! It was fun af to say u were a Cane! That’s y we don’t see mass exodus at top programs that r in contention. Winning breeds pride, excitement, joy, competitiveness, etc.
Losing blows. Practice blows when you are losing, coaches lose their mind because loot is on the line. It breeds dysfunction in the locker room and in my case the bottle became a friend for a long time. My roommate bounced after a year after he got injured doing idiotic dry land training his frosh year. Kid was gone, he played in the show for a long time but he technically opted out. His reasoning echoed Rells comments. If I am going to kill myself I am going to get paid. Losing blows Rell. Solid points as always brosef.

Advertisement
Back