Opting Out & Canes Football

Rellyrell

Heisman Winner
Premium
There’s been a lot of discussions on this board for years about our players, prematurely, leaving after substandard Jr years, and rightfully so.

I’ve mentioned before that I believe we have mass exodus b/c it’s not fun here, too much dysfunction, and there’s no incentive both financially or, more importantly, on the grid iron for these kids to stay. Furthermore, we’ve seen player’s draft grades plummet from their So. year to their Jr. year, and some are hoping scouts will give them a shot to fulfill a previous thought of said player. (See Brad Kaaya)

Now, what in the **** does that have to do with these opt outs? Today Roshad Bateman opted out. Why? Well, there’s a good chance it’s due to Minnesota sucking this yr, after having a very promising season last yr. He’s a projected 1st round pick, but his team took a huge step back & are completely out of contention, so what’s the incentive to stay? We saw Parrish Ford opt out in the middle of the season; same thing. Micah Parson saw the would be chit show develop at PSU, so what’s the incentive?

At the end of the day, these kids have aspirations & the majority are competitive. To contrast, why did majority of high profiled players from OSU, Clemson, Bama, UGA, OU, Oregon opt in? Boosters weren’t just the cause b/c NFL big bank will trump any booster bread; it’s b/c there was team incentives involved. Football is hella fun when u’re winning & you have a shot at a Nat’l title.

That’s the difference between Miami today & Miami yesterday. I’m not in So Fla, and I’ve never claimed to be an insider, but being that I’ve had god-sons & cousins play P5 football, along w/ friendship of former NFL players; we talk, & trust when I tell you that a kid is most likely to stay when they feel an accomplishment can be achieved. They will stay when the program is on par or they feel they can be developed further.

These kids have one shot; so while as a fan I might disagree & get angry b/c I know we could use them....if our program ain’t tight, or if they feel they are losing $ staying, they are going to look out for #1.

Is it foolish for our guys to leave early w a low to non draft grade? Absolutely. But if u’re not winning, the program is a mess, ur development is remaining stagnant or non existent (see Anthony Chickillo’s interview w Pittsburgh), then what’s the incentive, when the next play could be your last?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't think this will go away when covid (eventually) does. We are going to see more mid season opt-outs from really good players after the team becomes irrelevant. That could be after 3 games it could be after 10.

It hasn't really been done before. We saw a heap of bowl opt outs, but it is going to bleed into the season. Things have changed and will stay changed.

Advertisement
Absolutely.

Kids aren't gonna stick around unless there's a reason too. This is what you see at the powerhouse programs.

Those kids know they're being developed on and off the field. They know they have good coaches who are going to put them into position to succeed on the field. They know everything off the field is there to help them too (film study, weight room, diet).

They know that every year they send there will result in them getting drafted higher and being more NFL ready.

They know that they will always be in contention for the national title.

They know if they compete and are the best, they will start and play the whole game.

The Miami players who leave early aren't all just dumb, naive kids who think they're underrated first round talent.

They know that they aren't being developed properly and they know the coaches aren't going to play the best kids. They know they'll lose to good teams.

They aren't having fun.

Imagine being Greg Rousseau. A first round talent. Starting half the games bc the coaches want to rotate the entire roster. Losing 7 games. Inuding to FIU and LA Tech. I'd leave too. Does anyone really think he opted out bc of COVID? Please..

Until we get coaches who know how to run a proper, disciplined team things aren't going to change.

But, Miami is the kind of place where they can turn around and change extremely fast.

I agree this will change college football forever. Opt outs will be a yearly thing. **** fspoo opted out of a whole game. It’s a culture now. To my knowledge no one opted out at the top 4 teams. I could be wrong. So if you don’t like it just win. Cures everything

There’s been a lot of discussions on this board for years about our players, prematurely, leaving after substandard Jr years, and rightfully so.

I’ve mentioned before that I believe we have a mass exodus b/c it’s not fun here, too much dysfunction, and there’s no incentive both financially or, more importantly, on the grid iron for these kids to stay. Furthermore, we’ve seen player’s draft grades plummet from their So. year to their Jr. year, and some are hoping scouts will give them a shot to fulfill a previous thought of said player. (See Brad Kaaya)

Now, what in the **** does that have to do with these opt outs? Well, today Roshad Bateman opted out. Why? Well, there’s a good chance b/c Minnesota sucks this yr, after having a very promising season last yr. He’s a projected 1st round pick, but his team that took a huge step back & are completely out of contention, so what’s the incentive to stay? We saw Parrish Ford opt out in the middle of the season; same thing. Micah Parson saw the would be chit show develop at PSU, so what’s the incentive?

At the end of the day, these kids have aspirations & the majority are competitive. To contrast, why did majority of high profiled players from OSU, Clemson, Bama, UGA, OU, Oregon opt in? Boosters weren’t just the cause, b/c NFL big bank will trump any booster bread; it’s b/c there was team incentives involved. Football is hella fun when u’re winning & you have a shot at a Nat’l title.

That’s the difference between Miami today & Miami yesterday. I’m not in So Fla, and I’ve never claimed to be an insider, but being that I’ve had god-sons & cousins play P5 football, along w/ friendship of former NFL players; we talk, & trust when I tell you that a kid is most likely to stay when they feel an accomplishment can be achieved. They will stay when the program is on par or they feel they can be developed further.

These kids got one shot, so while as a fan I might disagree & get angry b/c I know we could use them....if our program ain’t tight, or if they feel they are losing $ staying, they are going to look out for #1s. Is it foolish for our guys to leave early w a low to non draft grade? Absolutely. But if your not winning, the program is a mess, ur development is remaining stagnant or non existent (see Anthony Chickillo interview w Pittsburgh), then what’s the incentive, when the next play could be your last?

Absolutely true.

This is again, going to be a snowball effect for these programs. Their going to continue winning cause these guys stay and don't opt out and they get that seniority benefit.

This was seen a while back coming that college football is slowly becoming essentially 3... maybe 4 teams (i.e., Clemson, OSU, Alabama) that can legitimately compete for a national championship every dam year with no objection, and the other jostle for the bread crumbs.
Even programs that try, I.e., UGA or UT, even Oklahoma, it's very hard to sustain elite status if you dependent on a star player to show up.
Unfortunately that may be the case. Once King goes, it's gonna be tough sledding again.

I’ve mentioned before that I believe we have a mass exodus b/c it’s not fun here, too much dysfunction, and there’s no incentive both financially or, more importantly, on the grid iron for these kids to stay. Furthermore, we’ve seen player’s draft grades plummet from their So. year to their Jr. year, and some are hoping scouts will give them a shot to fulfill a previous thought of said player. (See Brad Kaaya)

Now, what in the **** does that have to do with these opt outs? Well, today Roshad Bateman opted out. Why? Well, there’s a good chance b/c Minnesota sucks this yr, after having a very promising season last yr. He’s a projected 1st round pick, but his team that took a huge step back & are completely out of contention, so what’s the incentive to stay? We saw Parrish Ford opt out in the middle of the season; same thing. Micah Parson saw the would be chit show develop at PSU, so what’s the incentive?

At the end of the day, these kids have aspirations & the majority are competitive. To contrast, why did majority of high profiled players from OSU, Clemson, Bama, UGA, OU, Oregon opt in? Boosters weren’t just the cause, b/c NFL big bank will trump any booster bread; it’s b/c there was team incentives involved. Football is hella fun when u’re winning & you have a shot at a Nat’l title.

These kids got one shot, so while as a fan I might disagree & get angry b/c I know we could use them....if our program ain’t tight, or if they feel they are losing $ staying, they are going to look out for #1s. Is it foolish for our guys to leave early w a low to non draft grade? Absolutely. But if your not winning, the program is a mess, ur development is remaining stagnant or non existent (see Anthony Chickillo interview w Pittsburgh), then what’s the incentive, when the next play could be your last?

"Football is hella fun when u’re winning"

Bro... I think that might be one of the best and most underrated quotes I've seen posted on this site. It's so easy for us fans to just automatically think these kids are enjoying themselves because they're doing something they love to do. We as fans are so quick to judge these players but at the end of the day, they have to do what's best for them.

Advertisement
So you don’t end up coaching mini football with Joe Yearby
Again, what’s the incentive? Yearby went from a solid sophomore year, to seeing his carries cut in half, yardage cut in half, playing on an avg team w/ children. What’s the incentive? Especially being that RBs life spans r short af. So does he stay where he becomes even less utilize, no championship aspiration & risk injury OR take a gamble & hope to catch on w a practice squad?

It’s not ideal, but the whole point was to give context as to why it’s more fashionable to leave this version of Miami football early. These opt outs have shown that kids will rather bounce when their team is sucking *** v. staying w/ no real incentive to stay. It’s not going away, EXCEPT for the programs that are developing their players & are in the hunt for championships.

Again, what’s the incentive? Yearby went from a solid sophomore year, to seeing his carries cut in half, yardage cut in half, playing on an avg team w/ children. What’s the incentive? Especially being that RBs life spans r short af. So does he stay where he becomes even less utilize, no championship aspiration & risk injury OR take a gamble & hope to catch on w a practice squad?

It’s not ideal, but the whole point was to give context as to why it’s more fashionable to leave this version of Miami football early. These opt outs have shown that kids will rather bounce when their team is sucking *** v. staying w/ no real incentive to stay. It’s not going away, EXCEPT for the programs that are developing their players & are in the hunt for championships.
Without closely following lots of other schools, it seems like a Miami has a lot of players that leave early for less than ideal situations...

Not sure I am seeing the “getting into the league and get to that second contract” a lot from the Miami guys jumping...

"Football is hella fun when u’re winning"

Bro... I think that might be one of the best and most underrated quotes I've seen posted on this site. It's so easy for us fans to just automatically think these kids are enjoying themselves because they're doing something they love to do. We as fans are so quick to judge these players but at the end of the day, they have to do what's best for them.
Bro, I played for a suck *** high school team. I dreaded football practices & study sessions. In my head & I accidentally slipped one time, I was like for what? It was only a couple of us that had any college looks, so that helped, but to get continually embarrassed or no shot at even our division? FOH. Guess what? In a meaningless homecoming game, I got the whole right side of my body caved in. Took me yrs to recover. So not only was football not fun, but in the process any college aspirations I had went out the window on one play.

So I get why these kids r opting out or r leaving early. It didn’t happen like that here, before; why? B/c we were winning! It was fun af to say u were a Cane! That’s y we don’t see mass exodus at top programs that r in contention. Winning breeds pride, excitement, joy, competitiveness, etc.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Minnesota has a COVID outbreak and Bateman hasn't looked as good this year, even if you isolate him from the context. This was a good decision for him to shut it down and start training for the pre-draft process. Again he looked slower this year and wasn't creating the same degree of separation.

Miami still has a lot to play for and so do the draftable players. Phillips is the only guy whose play warrants opting out but he needs every start he can get for his resume.

Without closely following lots of other schools, it seems like a Miami has a lot of players that leave early for less than ideal situations...

Not sure I am seeing the “getting into the league and get to that second contract” a lot from the Miami guys jumping...
U won’t here any argument from me regarding that, my guy, but that’s not the basis of the post.

My point was seeing guys opt out after seeing their teams absolutely become trash, it gives credence to what we’ve seen here. There’s no incentive for these guys. They are not getting better, their pockets are not getting lined by boosters, and most importantly, we are not winning to give them an incentive to stay. Top programs r not seeing this premature exodus; the guys who are leaving early from those programs r true 3 & done guys, but even then, some come back b/c the team was “this close” to winning the title & they have unfinished business (sounds familiar).

It must be crazy fun to be Trevor Lawrence or Etienne in Clemson right now.

It’s no fun being a broke *** kid on Miami while we’re winning 6 games, not having fun and losing to FIU. I’d get out of that situation ASAP if I could get drafted.
Thank you. Plus, we’ve been hearing locker room problems for how long now??

Advertisement
The MAIN issue to me is that our Canes players get really bad advice and are rarely successful when they do declare and leave early.

I could understand if they think they are going to be Top 10 picks but getting drafted 5th round just makes you look plain dumb.

Minnesota has a COVID outbreak and Bateman hasn't looked as good this year, even if you isolate him from the context. This was a good decision for him to shut it down and start training for the pre-draft process. Again he looked slower this year and wasn't creating the same degree of separation.

Miami still has a lot to play for and so do the draftable players. Phillips is the only guy whose play warrants opting out but he needs every start he can get for his resume.
And hopefully this is the trend, not just this yr, but moving forward. Winning keeps the attention of not only fans, but the student athlete.

Don’t get it twisted, though....Covid is a convenient excuse. Covid has been out breaking across many programs. If Minnesota started like they did last season w a chance to play in the BIG championship game, I’m going to assume Bateman still plays. But Minn has started off completely **** poor this yr, and w/ a short window due to the limited amount of games, what’s the incentive to keep playing? Especially when I have an out?

The MAIN issue to me is that our Canes players get really bad advice and are rarely successful when they do declare and leave early.

I could understand if they think they are going to be Top 10 picks but getting drafted 5th round just makes you look plain dumb.
The advice is bad, for sure; but it’s also been reported that some draft advisory boards have directly told kids to come back, yet they choose to leave. That was when red flags came out for me couple yrs back. Our kids have been opting out for yrs; it just wasn’t called opting out. It’s b/c there’s been no incentive to stay.

U won’t here any argument from me regarding that, my guy, but that’s not the basis of the post.

My point was seeing guys opt out after seeing their teams absolutely become trash, it gives credence to what we’ve seen here. There’s no incentive for these guys. They are not getting better, their pockets are not getting lined by boosters, and most importantly, we are not winning to give them an incentive to stay. Top programs r not seeing this premature exodus; the guys who are leaving early from those programs r true 3 & done guys, but even then, some come back b/c the team was “this close” to winning the title & they have unfinished business (sounds familiar).
Do we think it is the players, culture/team, both?

Advertisement
Back