Opting Out & Canes Football

It comes down to recruiting the right type of kids. We have put pressure on the staff to get this kid or that kid because he is fast or he was the it guy in 10th grade at this or that school. WE demand a kid even if he has no grades. We demand a kid even he is a degenerate as a person.

Also, if your recruiting a kid and he demands a certain number or he will not come then let him go. It is that type of mentality that got us into the last 18 years. ***** the 5 star kids and all their demands. It gets you nowhere as a program. Get rid of the dual numbers and take the kids that are going to come and establish any number.

Advertisement
Good points by everyone on RB - like with this year I think most here get Cam leaving, but we all struggle with many of the other eligible underclassman bolting...

Maybe it’s just fans looking and saying 7-1, chance to make a run in 2021 with experience and depth...while improving their draft stock...

And they see some agents selling **** burgers as filet mignon ..
You make a good point - and it's the fan perspective that always gets me.

Fans will always point to Agents telling a player to go pro because it's in the agents best interest.

But Fans & Coaches want players to come back because it'll make the team better and get more wins. They're acting in self interest too.

The 2 things Fans overestimate are:

1) How much a player will improve his draft stock. The Miami guy that are going pro "too early" would maybe be going from like 6th/7th round picks to 4th/5th round picks (best case scenario). At best, they're getting drafted only slightly higher.

2) Playing the "come back to school" scenario out, and how much it improves the team. Like, if Bandy & Jonathan Garvin came back this year, would we be much better? If Garvin comes back, does Roche transfer here? If Roche does come here - doesn't Garvin play less?

You make a good point - and it's the fan perspective that always gets me.

Fans will always point to Agents telling a player to go pro because it's in the agents best interest.

But Fans & Coaches want players to come back because it'll make the team better and get more wins. They're acting in self interest too.

The 2 things Fans overestimate are:

1) How much a player will improve his draft stock. The Miami guy that are going pro "too early" would maybe be going from like 6th/7th round picks to 4th/5th round picks (best case scenario). At best, they're getting drafted only slightly higher.

2) Playing the "come back to school" scenario out, and how much it improves the team. Like, if Bandy & Jonathan Garvin came back this year, would we be much better? If Garvin comes back, does Roche transfer here? If Roche does come here - doesn't Garvin play less?
I do think fans see the other programs that are built and have depth with players staying and it seems to be a win/win - but I haven’t looked in depth... we always look at Wisconsin’s program - and they seem like an example of a lineman or a LB waiting his turn to be the next good one —- not necessarily top 3 rounds... could just be perception

The only thing where i can see these opt- outs could hurt some of these players. NFL execs will always ask why did you quit on the team. As a General manager of a NFL team.....it is hard to take stock in some of these kids that opt out. You quit on your college team when things are going tough.....whose to say you wont do that if our team isnt making the playoffs.

I do think fans see the other programs that are built and have depth with players staying and it seems to be a win/win - but I haven’t looked in depth... we always look at Wisconsin’s program - and they seem like an example of a lineman or a LB waiting his turn to be the next good one —- not necessarily top 3 rounds... could just be perception
I think both your points are true.

Taking the Wisconsin example - I agree they seem like a much more stable, winning environment where players are more likely to be patient and stay for their senior years.

But on the flip side, how much of that is just perception vs reality?

Wisconsin had 2 players declare early last year:

4th Rd - OL Tyler Biadasz
5th Rd - WR Quintez Cephus

I'm sure Wisconsin fans have just as much "they messed up, they should've come back and improved their stock" frustration that Miami fans do.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Also, I REALLY hope Joe Yearby got his degree while he was here. Would be a real shame if he wasted his scholarship and didn't at least have that UM diploma to show for it.

I'm pretty darn sure he didn't. It really doesn't matter, most football players don't pursue advanced degrees or fields that would require a college degree. Most end up in law enforcement or some sales field. I always hope they get their degree, but all schools have their joke majors to push players through. Our biggest one is liberal arts.

I'm pretty darn sure he didn't. It really doesn't matter, most football players don't pursue advanced degrees or fields that would require a college degree. Most end up in law enforcement or some sales field. I always hope they get their degree, but all schools have their joke majors to push players through. Our biggest one is liberal arts.
That’s a shame. I worked so hard for my degree and it means so much me, but I get not everyone feels that way. Hope for the best Joe and his family!

I've always wondered whether the environment of South Florida itself encourages kids leaving early. In other words, South Florida--and Miami in particular--is a city of haves and have nots. If you are from here or come down for college, you can look but you can't touch. You can go to South Beach or the Gables or Brickell to look but you don't have the cash or resources to enjoy it . You're not getting into clubs. You don't have a fancy car or boat and you can't afford that top notch restaurant. Conversely, in some of these college towns, you can live happily despite the fact you're broke. Broke in Miami sucks. I've always wondered whether kids that play here sense that and jump early for the allure of a big pay day (joining the "haves") whereas maybe in a small town, you stay blissfully unaware of how the 1% live.

I've always wondered whether the environment of South Florida itself encourages kids leaving early. In other words, South Florida--and Miami in particular--is a city of haves and have nots. If you are from here or come down for college, you can look but you can't touch. You can go to South Beach or the Gables or Brickell to look but you don't have the cash or resources to enjoy it . You're not getting into clubs. You don't have a fancy car or boat and you can't afford that top notch restaurant. Conversely, in some of these college towns, you can live happily despite the fact you're broke. Broke in Miami sucks. I've always wondered whether kids that play here sense that and jump early for the allure of a big pay day (joining the "haves") whereas maybe in a small town, you stay blissfully unaware of how the 1% live.

Money is likely a factor and why I often say the allure of SOBE isn't a big deal to recruits like some think it is. Why go there, nobody gives a **** that you play on a mediocre team.

Maybe that changes when we start winning again, but right now their competition is the elite of society. Real professional athletes with bankrolls. Real television and movie stars. Real music insustry types. Jetsetters from around the world. Models galore, and then the locals with money. In a college town, the team is the show and there's bars crawling with people your age.

Even though a lot of it is out of reach here, they have no idea how good they've got it and the world won't give you a thing. This is the best they've eaten (even in their cafeterias, etc) and probably the nicest place most of them have lived. They are youthful, exuberant, and still think they can conquer the world. So they leave it behind and hopefully make it, because life will smack you in the face quickly.

Advertisement
Money is likely a factor and why I often say the allure of SOBE isn't a big deal to recruits like some think it is. Why go there, nobody gives a **** that you play on a mediocre team.

Maybe that changes when we start winning again, but right now their competition is the elite of society. Real professional athletes with bankrolls. Real television and movie stars. Real music insustry types. Jetsetters from around the world. Models galore, and then the locals with money. In a college town, the team is the show and there's bars crawling with people your age.

Even though a lot of it is out of reach here, they have no idea how good they've got it and the world won't give you a thing. This is the best they've eaten (even in their cafeterias, etc) and probably the nicest place most of them have lived. They are youthful, exuberant, and still think they can conquer the world. So they leave it behind and hopefully make it, because life will smack you in the face quickly.

Yup. Like I said, here, you can look but you can't touch. There's plenty of beautiful women here, but they're not impressed by the fact you play WR. They're impressed by $$$ and you have none of it! I'd imagine that's very different in Athens or Tuscaloosa or Tally, etc, where you are the top dog/alpha.

Yup. Like I said, here, you can look but you can't touch. There's plenty of beautiful women here, but they're not impressed by the fact you play WR. They're impressed by $$$ and you have none of it! I'd imagine that's very different in Athens or Tuscaloosa or Tally, etc, where you are the top dog/alpha.
Big facts. On the flip side, like Mike Irv said, when Miami was winning they became stars. The City of Miami love winners. It’s gotta be tough to be a window shopper at The U. U stop being a window shopper once Miami becomes The U again.

I think both your points are true.

Taking the Wisconsin example - I agree they seem like a much more stable, winning environment where players are more likely to be patient and stay for their senior years.

But on the flip side, how much of that is just perception vs reality?

Wisconsin had 2 players declare early last year:

4th Rd - OL Tyler Biadasz
5th Rd - WR Quintez Cephus

I'm sure Wisconsin fans have just as much "they messed up, they should've come back and improved their stock" frustration that Miami fans do.

Quintez Cephus missed his JR year dealing with allegations of sexual assault he was later cleared of in both the criminal courts and university title IX setting. So he did have eligibility left but was there 4 years. Even after he was acquitted the school had to be pressured to readmit him. He came back and played well enough to get his shot at the NFL and nobody begrudges him after what he went through.

Tyler Biadasz took a RS then was a 3 year starter at Center. He was Freshman AA, 3x All-B1G (3rd & 1st x2), Unanimous AA and Rimington Trophy winner as a Junior. He started some games for the Cowboys this year after Travis Frederick (also a Badger) retired. He did everything he reasonably could have in college, he just has some physical limitations.

One of the main reasons guys stay is because most of them cant make the NFL based on elite physical traits alone. Look at a guy like TJ Edwards (MLB) 1st Team All-B1G and All-American in 2017, returned and was 1st Team All-B1G again but went undrafted. Here is his combine skill matrix... Regardless of how well he played on the field those numbers were always going to be a problem.

1606935323214.png

Wisconsin makes a living finding good football players who were too short or too slow to get the offers from the blue bloods. Those same limitations keep a lot of guys from being able to jump to the NFL early.

Advertisement
Back