Onside kick

HSFC

Recruit
Banned
Just over 3 minutes left, 3 time outs, vs a Qb who could not throw ; not too sure about the call

Advertisement
Atrocious to say the least. Cant decide if that was worst or the same play call (Gray)twice for one yard?

On the surface it absolutely wasn't a call that I'd make but it wasn't totally insane based on the field position at the time due to the penalty on UVA prior. But how you make that call with our less than stellar special teams and kickers is questionable at best.

It was probably a combo of Rick's panic/desparation and a misguided confidence in Baxa because the kid was having a decent day.

Advertisement
On the surface it absolutely wasn't a call that I'd make but it wasn't totally insane based on the field position at the time due to the penalty on UVA prior. But how you make that call with our less than stellar special teams and kickers is questionable at best.

It was probably a combo of Rick's panic/desparation and a misguided confidence in Baxa because the kid was having a decent day.

Field position made the call palpable. Miami could have tried to pooch kick, but a fair catch inside the 25 give UVA the ball at the 25. Might was well kick deep for touchback. Even if the onsides kick failed, odds are UVA getting ball at their 40.

The kick was poorly executed. Allowing UVA to scoop the kick and run it back to inside the Miami 30 was bad.

Last edited:
The game's on the line and you can risk 15 yards of field position to get the ball back, of course you do it. It's more on ST coaching for doing such a god awful kick.

Shocker that the guy who enjoys Richt's pickle is defending this

Advertisement
Special teams has been *** all year, your d has forced 3 turnovers and has played solid all night, and you have plenty of time with 3 timeouts.

Field position made the call palpable. Even if it failed odds are UVA getting ball at their 40. The kick was poorly executed. Allowing UVA to scoop the kick and run it back to inside the Miami 30 was bad.

How is the call palpable? We have a kicker that can barely kick an extra point

would Miami had taken the onside kick if they hadn't received the extra 15 yards for the roughing the kicker call? They would of been better off dropping it about 15 yards behind the UVA line. UVA had one guy back at the 10 and everyone else was lined up on the 40.

Advertisement
would Miami had taken the onside kick if they hadn't received the extra 15 yards for the roughing the kicker call? They would of been better off dropping it about 15 yards behind the UVA line. UVA had one guy back at the 10 and everyone else was lined up on the 40.
Not a bad play here.
Almost a tweener situation.
Pooch it over the first line and see what happens.
Deep man cant call a fair catch if he's no where near to catch it.

I thought going for the onside kick was worth the risk. Possibilities and Odds:

1. Recover the ball on the 35-40 and we likely win or at least kick FG to tie. 15-20% chance?
2. UVA recovers ball on 35-40. 3 min and 3 TO's Lets go D. 65-75% chance?
3. Freak horrible kick and coverage they return it to the 30. Honestly a 5-10% chance of something this dumb happening but it did

ST is just awful. Baffles me Richt wont take Hartley off it and just put him on TE Coach. I know you only have so many coaches but we would have been much better off getting a full time ST's coach than an outside LB coach (Patke - nothing against the guy but waste off a coach position)

An reasonable call considering our surperior special teams play .... wait, I’m living in the pass again.

Advertisement
First this was a stupid call. Second I put a lot more blame on the fact the player who grabed the kick was not tackled immediately than I do on the kicker.

Advertisement
Back