One down

Advertisement
That’s true but based off of playing time at WR, CB, LB earlier in the season, does anything about this team scream meritocracy? The coaches do not trust youth and would rather watch upperclassmen make the same mistakes for the 300th time.

its disgusting. How the **** did we see Redding and Smith early in the year but none after our Covid issues but we roll out Wiggins and Pope who keep dropping the ball.

also where the ***** is Payton? Is he that garbage?

No one is relying on the portal. We did have 3 players at the same position leave early to go first rd. What you suggest we do? This what big time programs deal with. We’re just so far removed from that, we’re in this situation now.
I'm not convinced you understand what you're trying to say, but I'll bite:

Two of those three you're referencing were from the portal. Both of our starting DE's this year, Phillips/Roche, we got from the portal...do you not see how that is relying on the portal? If you have to bring in two DE's because you don't have quality starters/depth on your roster, that's being reliant on the portal. Let's not forget Trevon Hill a year ago also, where'd we get him from? Oh yeah, the portal!

Let's pretend Ivey and Blades aren't mediocre at best and decided to bolt for undrafted free-agency (because Miami kids never do that, right?)...who are our starting corners next year, and who are their backups? Better hope we can land a serviceable CB from the portal, which we need to do regardless of Ivey or Blades staying because neither of them are very good.

Why did we need to bring in Tate two years ago and King last year?

Why did we bring in Lou Hedley last year and Jose Borregales the year?

Jarrid Williams, Venzell Boulware, Tommy ******* Kennedy....

If Cam or Burns leave we're an injury away from being razor thin at RB next year, and there aren't a lot of RB's who transfer to ride the pine and provide emergency depth (Asa Martin).

Big time programs are in another world when it comes to evaluating, recruiting, developing and retaining their players. We wouldn't have to scour the portal for quality starters/depth every offseason if we were remotely competent at those four things. Sure, everyone deals with attrition, but instead of bringing in underclassmen who can provide depth and maybe sit a year, we're constantly dependent on finding blue-chippers who can come in and start at multiple positions every year instead of growing our own and having them ready to step up when their time comes. It's not sustainable.

Evaluate. Recruit. Develop. Retain. Then cherry-pick from the portal if a Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, Demarckus Bowman type become available, and would even consider playing for Manny. Thats how we give ourselves a chance to be competitive outside of the God forsaken ACC Coastal.

But you're right, we're not relying on the portal.

I'm not convinced you understand what you're trying to say, but I'll bite:

Two of those three you're referencing were from the portal. Both of our starting DE's this year, Phillips/Roche, we got from the portal...do you not see how that is relying on the portal? If you have to bring in two DE's because you don't have quality starters/depth on your roster, that's being reliant on the portal. Let's not forget Trevon Hill a year ago also, where'd we get him from? Oh yeah, the portal!

Let's pretend Ivey and Blades aren't mediocre at best and decided to bolt for undrafted free-agency (because Miami kids never do that, right?)...who are our starting corners next year, and who are their backups? Better hope we can land a serviceable CB from the portal, which we need to do regardless of Ivey or Blades staying because neither of them are very good.

Why did we need to bring in Tate two years ago and King last year?

Why did we bring in Lou Hedley last year and Jose Borregales the year?

Jarrid Williams, Venzell Boulware, Tommy ******* Kennedy....

If Cam or Burns leave we're an injury away from being razor thin at RB next year, and there aren't a lot of RB's who transfer to ride the pine and provide emergency depth (Asa Martin).

Big time programs are in another world when it comes to evaluating, recruiting, developing and retaining their players. We wouldn't have to scour the portal for quality starters/depth every offseason if we were remotely competent at those four things. Sure, everyone deals with attrition, but instead of bringing in underclassmen who can provide depth and maybe sit a year, we're constantly dependent on finding blue-chippers who can come in and start at multiple positions every year instead of growing our own and having them ready to step up when their time comes. It's not sustainable.

Evaluate. Recruit. Develop. Retain. Then cherry-pick from the portal if a Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, Demarckus Bowman type become available, and would even consider playing for Manny. Thats how we give ourselves a chance to be competitive outside of the God forsaken ACC Coastal.

But you're right, we're not relying on the portal.
We got Phillips two years ago. That’s not relying on the portal. Two years ago he didn’t even touch the field. So if we were relying on it, he would’ve needed to play day 1. That disputes your whole argument. The reason we even went that route in the first place, numbers from probation had us behind the 8ball. Remember, we didn’t get full numbers back until last year. We had two DEs leave early in Jackson and Garvin, that’s what made us go to the portal in the first place. Some teams use JUCO, our track record hadn’t been so good with that route. That’s what happens when you have 3 different HCs in 5 years. We had to fix the problem before we move forward.

Advertisement
its disgusting. How the **** did we see Redding and Smith early in the year but none after our Covid issues but we roll out Wiggins and Pope who keep dropping the ball.

also where the ***** is Payton? Is he that garbage?
Honestly forgot about Payton. Last night was such an abomination of basic coaching decisions I don’t even know where to begin.

No one is relying on the portal. We did have 3 players at the same position leave early to go first rd. What you suggest we do? This what big time programs deal with. We’re just so far removed from that, we’re in this situation now.

I don't know how you can say they aren't relying on the portal. 2 of those 3 guys you think are going R1 (which i disagree with) were portal kids to begin with. They needed it 2 separate occasions for DEs, first Hill and Phillips, then Roche. Now they're using it a 3rd time for the Tennessee kid. They needed it for Bolden. 3 of those 4 were starters. That looks like reliance to me, especially when you consider they need other guys like CBs and possibly look the LB way. Let's not forget the incredibly need for offensive guys.

If they were hitting in recruiting and developing depth, they wouldn't need so many starters from the portal.

I don't know how you can say they aren't relying on the portal. 2 of those 3 guys you think are going R1 (which i disagree with) were portal kids to begin with. They needed it 2 separate occasions for DEs, first Hill and Phillips, then Roche. Now they're using it a 3rd time for the Tennessee kid. They needed it for Bolden. 3 of those 4 were starters. That looks like reliance to me, especially when you consider they need other guys like CBs and possibly look the LB way. Let's not forget the incredibly need for offensive guys.

If they were hitting in recruiting and developing depth, they wouldn't need so many starters from the portal.
Every program in America in dangling in the portal. It’s the new normal.

Advertisement

At DE we are sending guys to the NFL a year early. We have done so maybe 3 or 4 times in a row. It wasnt exactly a "need" *****..they obviously are recruiting that position well.

Its a definate need at CB and LB..where there are obvious talent discrepancies. The crazy part is....no covid ..Rousseau shows out and Phillips likely is a rotation guy for part of the year..and is back again next year.
I think they are hitting on recruiting at DE. Everything else shows there lack of development. I said they needed a grad transfer wr last year and that obviously showed its head.

I think we can all agree DE is going to be a huge step down from what we've seen here the last few years.Phillips,Roche,Rouseau,Harving,JJ.,Thomas.
The same way we couldn't recover from quitter GR? Now we move the goal post after that is debunked.

How did I not have any clue when I literally watched him play multiple times? Lol I know what defense UT runs and he's a OLB. For us, he would be a DE but if you read my other comments I clearly said he can play LB for us and he would most definitely be our best one. I'm just basing that on what I have seen from our team. C'mon now, I wouldn't dare go this hard if I didn't know what I was talking about lol
That's your boy you be copping for sticking you in the back. Lol

Advertisement
Advertisement
👀
3E036C8E-6BB9-495B-AB8B-215A55EAFEB5.png

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Phillips didn’t even play for a year. That’s not needing or relying on. He was going to come off the bench. Roche wanted to come to get his stock up. Bubba was a need? He didn’t even start. We had plenty depth at S. They were good players but that wasn’t relying. We NEEDED King! That’s not relying, that’s the case, why OU continued to make the playoffs?

What I don't understand is OCs running things that they just haven't run anywhere else in their career. Lashlee wasn't a huge read-option guy at SMU. Maybe with Malzahn but our run scheme makes Auburn's look like the freaking Ravens. Enos was gonna run multiple formation, motions and counters and sweeps like he did everywhere else ("Spread Coast"?) and then he just didn't. **** people were excited for the wide open and QB friendly offense Richt was going to run. Why? Because he ran it everywhere else. Except here.

Why is it that Miami is the place where OCs decide to reinvent the freaking wheel?

Because South Florida kids are too stupid to learn anything new or run anything complicated.

We basically have to run high school schemes to have any success at all. That’s the unfortunate position we’re in

Imo he’s a better player , more complete. Just different .

i see more Philips than roche. Sizes and motors are comparable. He had 3.5 less sacks than Philips while playing far better competition , playing olb and not being able to rush as freely. Him in a 4-3 is a perfect match, he’ll probably come close to doubling sacks in this defense.
With the possible scheme change, do you think it will be 4-3 based? Should we be getting defensive players without inputs from new DC and staff etc?

Advertisement
Back