On The Record

Advertisement
1) Lane
2) Mario

or bust.
Totally agree with this and my opinion too, but it is reversed in reality.

I think the hang up with Lane is he'd be out in 3-4 years. Dude would be a rock star here no doubt, but can also mimic Jimmy in being that rock star and out in 4 years for something better.

Mario would be a 10+ year lifer.

Advertisement
I remember before Miami hired Manny Diaz I wanted them to hire Mike Leach, and he seems to be doing pretty well this year at Mississippi State. I know no one has been mentioning his name so I don't there's any interest even among the fans, but I think he'd be a good hire.

Of course I'll also be excited if they get Lane Kiffin or Mario Cristobal.

Advertisement
I remember before Miami hired Manny Diaz I wanted them to hire Mike Leach, and he seems to be doing pretty well this year at Mississippi State. I know no one has been mentioning his name so I don't there's any interest even among the fans, but I think he'd be a good hire.

Of course I'll also be excited if they get Lane Kiffin or Mario Cristobal.
Some of us screamed Mike Leach before and after Golden. Of course we were called stupid and told to stop porsting.

And now the off-season is painful and we aren’t even there yet
Cmon AI. You know the drill. This is that part of the cycle where the old guard is going out and we are filled with hope that the new guard coming in can do it better. 1st round on me tonight.

Advertisement
Gentlemen, we are in the final week of the Manny Diaz era. I think we can all agree that's reason to celebrate. A lot of good points and arguments have been made on various coaches as to why they should be the choice. I appreciate all the opinions and stats. The AD right now is THE most important decision. So while we clench our cheeks every time D$ and Cribby drop what they hear, lets play AD. Id love to hear where everyone is putting their final flag in the sand on their personal pecking order of coaches ON THE RECORD where there is no hiding. Time to drop your sac on the table and show your cards.

Im not adding folks like Cambell or Fickell. Those guys would send us right to voicemail. Im only going with candidates I think would pick up the phone and at least hear us out. It seems apparent that its Mario's job unless he says no, but fun to play superfan. Either way, I hope smarter people than me are making the decision and that its made on well thought out criteria.

After weighing Pro's/Cons and putting value on risk/reward, here is what Im going with:

1. Freeze: I dont see us having the sac to call him, but if we did he would take our call so he was in my mix and when I think about risk/reward I think he would be my #1.

2. Mark Stoops

3. Aranda

4. Lane

5. Mario

My wild card: Tom Herman. I just cant decide where he fits in my pecking order

I guarantee each of our lists would shift if we knew who their staff would be. Mario to me has the potential biggest pendulum arc with that information.

There is a very thin margin between all of these candidates. Im on record as saying that based on the state of our program, we should consider ourselves lucky and fortunate to get any one of these coaches and I'll be excited to support any of them. Go ahead and bust my balls or bump this in 3 years. My balls are already numb from the past 20 years.
Mario

Need stability, a program builder, elite recruiter and toughness

Advertisement
1) Mario. Only above lane because I trust him more to bring long term success
2) lane
3) Chris Peterson although he wouldn't come here but I just wish he would
4) mark stoops
5) aranda - only because he brings his elite defense with him

All good bro. I figured there would be snarky comments without actually adding their list. Lot of comments these past few weeks of supporting or bashing a coach. Thought it would be good to get it out in the open. Carry on.
There are several threads with dudes bickering about the exact topic.
But for the record

Juricch Ad
Zo football ad

No particular order
Dave Aranda, Mario Cristobal, lane kiffin

No order cause I feel they all have certain weakness. I also feel that in the right situation ( recruiting staff, support staff, $chool commitment) each one of them can contest for a title. And all have been around for a while and been around great programs and coaches.

But one thing that gets overlooked is the mental aspect of the coach at the school he’s at.
A coach has to be happy. And we know Mario and Lane love it here. Don’t know about Amanda but I’m sure he’ll like it here more than Baton Rouge

Advertisement
Back