On the “win now” vs. “develop young players” debate

Advertisement
How do you respond to the potential (as some have said) impact on team culture that can impact wins too as we know all too well if you’re cutting pay to players that stay (vs choosing to leave) which I realize happens in the nfl via “restructuring” or resigning when your free agent market isn’t what you hoped?

Difference of course is this is all new in cfb but for coaches, they encourage have been in those kids homes and in their phones since they were 1516 and an older versus just being drafted or sign as a free agency out of college, making promises to parents – especially with Mario and his strength here.

To be clear, I’m not arguing that it’s right or wrong. I’m purely asking how you think that aspect in any way offsets getting new talent if the locker room somehow loses cohesion as we move forward.

Before anybody comes at me I’m just asking for an opinion here, I realize it’s not only happening at Miami, but I only care about Miami and not every other coach or program has necessarily been as strong at recruiting or building relationships with parents as well as the players.

We have to do this to be competitive I’m just asking what are the downsides
If we start winning ten games a year and competing in the playoffs?

IMG_2328.jpeg

Advertisement
Great post. Should be a fun year, and if it's not, well then we're stuck with the wrong coach for a long time so if being decent to good but never being great causes you to assault your family, you might want to take up pickleball on Saturdays.
Or more Hurricanes Ls could cause us to assault people with a pickle ball racquet.

Maybe we should try hot goat yoga.

Mario has done a great job recruiting out of high school but you can't expect to field a team of freshmans and win many games. I don't care how many stars you have a team of 18 year old kids is losing to a team of 21 year old men 9 times out of 10.

It takes 3 years for the kids you recruit out of high school to mature and develop to where that's your team. In '22 and '23 the players getting snaps were mostly Manny guys.
Max Greenfield Reaction GIF by CBS

Allen idk but he scored a lot last yr. Lyle #1 2024 RB idk why ppl acting like Frsh RB don't play everywhere even the NFL play rookie RBs. Now CHW I hope I'm wrong but he look better then CJ. They just got to stop running slow guys up the middle give them tosses, screens, outside zones. Martinez Lyle and Fletcher should be used differently then CHW CJ.
TIL 5 TDs is considered a lot

Advertisement
Both.
It's unrealistic to completely eliminate FR/SO from the 2 deep. Nor is it necessary for that to be the case to win now. And some positions that is more the case than others. OL and interior DL? Prefer Upperclassmen. RB/WR/LB? Underclassman can be fine.

I think they wanna win the ACC so they are covering the bases. We run the risk of getting rid of good players too soon as well. They go elsewhere and go crazy and its a bad look. Like Kelly and Wayne. We need to win now to validate what they preaching. No excuses

Advertisement
Well unless he becomes a completely different in game coach, I don’t see how we will be great

Agreed. He should hired a true assistant head coach who can help him with timeouts and game management. Right now there is no one on staff who seems be to able to help him.

I think this is the bingo response right here.

Nobody minds getting talent in the portal.

I think the concerning part is the amount of high level blue chip recruits that aren't lasting more than 2 years in the program

Cyrus Moss
Nyjalik Kelly
Jayden Wayne
Collins Acheampong
Trevonte Citizen
Jaleel Skinner
Chris Graves
Khaumari Rodgers
Jacurri Brown
Colbie Young
Kaleb Spencer

Thats a lot of young players not even getting to their 3rd season which is when development should start kicking in big time.
But let’s see what they do at their new stops. Most of those guys were part of a thrown together class that they little time to truly evaluate kids.

You can do both. Mario is hitting the Portal like a maniac. He recruits high school like a maniac. We want the best roster in the ACC, and we want a wide margin. That’s a good thing.

It’s the new reality of the sport. Glad we don’t take the Dabo approach

Advertisement
Mario has to be sensitive and sympathetic with developing talent too a point, but this season is IMPERATIVE for the long term success and continued progress of this program.

You must bite the bullet on a couple guys if there is Vetted, Starting TALENT available.

1st - Recruit like **** to get the best Freshman & develop them.

2nd - Use the portal to upgrade & plug holes. How good your current players are dictates how heavily you need the portal.

3rd - Keep your current best players happy so they don't get poached.

Recruiting is now so much more involved/time consuming than it used to be. It's become a nightmare.

Having a coach that thrives in recruiting like Mario is a big advantage.
NIL and unlimited transfers has definitely changed the equation on your 1st point. Often you recruit the best freshmen, and to do so offer big NIL money based on their potential, not their immediate productivity. But then by year 2 many of them are still not developed enough to be the top dog but don't want to stick around because between their past high recruiting ranking and big NIL they also have a big head and no patience, and feel they should be starting.

With unlimited transfers there will always be another team willing to bet on the player's potential and provide the hope for the player that he will be given a starting role, so the player transfers...often not ending up with the starting role they thought they would get in the new team. So it becomes a system of constant shuffling.

I think they wanna win the ACC so they are covering the bases. We run the risk of getting rid of good players too soon as well. They go elsewhere and go crazy and its a bad look. Like Kelly and Wayne. We need to win now to validate what they preaching. No excuses
Kelly leaving had zero to do with football. Wayne was given his post-season assessment and chose to transfer.

Look has nothing to do with it. This is college athletics in the portal/NIL era.

Adjust to the new reality or fall further behind.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back