On the “win now” vs. “develop young players” debate

Advertisement
Going 12-13 in your first two years will do this. It’s not even me trying to bring up the past, it’s just common sense.

For what the expectations were when we convinced him to take this job and leave Oregon, he hasn’t lived up to them yet. Not even close, and thus the pressure is ratcheted up. When you land a QB like Cam Ward, you go all in. Glad we’re doing so, now let’s close on some really talented upgrades like Martinez, Brown, two corners and at least one starting-caliber, game changing DT.

You can do both. Mario is hitting the Portal like a maniac. He recruits high school like a maniac. We want the best roster in the ACC, and we want a wide margin. That’s a good thing.

I don't disagree, he is working both sides quite well.

Over the long haul, I'm just concerned with "when" a HS recruit is deemed to be expendable.

You can do both. Mario is hitting the Portal like a maniac. He recruits high school like a maniac. We want the best roster in the ACC, and we want a wide margin. That’s a good thing.

Exactly! I just said this in another thread. Everyone thinks it's either/or when it's both/and. Circumstances will dictate which way you lean.

A lot of people won't like it, but with the way the portal is now, if young guys aren't producing and are being paid highly, they will get recruited over in the portal for more proven guys. Similarly there are going to be guys every year that think they should be valued higher and are going to hold teams hostage for better NIL. It's the way CFB is now unfortunately. I have no issue with it since at the end of the day as the goal is to win games and whatever gets us there, I am cool with.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Going 12-13 in your first two years will do this. It’s not even me trying to bring up the past, it’s just common sense.

For what the expectations were when we convinced him to take this job and leave Oregon, he hasn’t lived up to them yet. Not even close, and thus the pressure is ratcheted up. When you land a QB like Cam Ward, you go all in. Glad we’re doing so, now let’s close on some really talented upgrades like Martinez, Brown, two corners and at least one starting-caliber, game changing DT.
It would definitely be wrong to assume your expectations were the same as the expectations of the people who matter in the university.

It would definitely be wrong to assume your expectations were the same as the expectations of the people who matter in the university.
…they expected to have a losing record after two seasons when none of his predecessors even fell that low?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say even they expected better results thus far.

Advertisement
A lot of people won't like it, but with the way the portal is now, if young guys aren't producing and are being paid highly, they will get recruited over in the portal for more proven guys. Similarly there are going to be guys every year that think they should be valued higher and are going to hold teams hostage for better NIL. It's the way CFB is now unfortunately. I have no issue with it since at the end of the day as the goal is to win games and whatever gets us there, I am cool with.

This shouldn't last too long, we are in a transitional phase before everything "officially" becomes pay-for-play and treats the football players as employees.

1st - Recruit like **** to get the best Freshman & develop them.

2nd - Use the portal to upgrade & plug holes. How good your current players are dictates how heavily you need the portal.

3rd - Keep your current best players happy so they don't get poached.

Recruiting is now so much more involved/time consuming than it used to be. It's become a nightmare.

Having a coach that thrives in recruiting like Mario is a big advantage.

Advertisement
Well we aren’t winning now, so he better get to fycking developing
We need the "steroid shot" season to get the ball rolling on this thing. To get recruits hyped about the direction we are going in and we can sell a winning program instead of just trying to sell an NIL deal. This season can be that for us. And Mario looks to be trying to put the pieces in place to make sure that happens.

They expected it to be ugly.
Conveniently cryptic message board 101. Well done.

IMG_4299.gif

…they expected to have a losing record after two seasons when none of his predecessors even fell that low?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say even they expected better results thus far.

First, you're assuming that Frenk even understands that ****.

Second, we had a rough first season and an improvement in our second season. Your "losing record after two seasons" metric could be flipped simply by "taking a knee vs. GaTech".

Finally, comparing Mario to "predecssors"? Every situation is different.

Generally, our administration knew we would slide a bit before things improved. We all want to win more games faster. I don't think the UM administration had specific numerical expectations.

If we don't win BIGLY this year I am going to spend 20 hours a day on here being snarky fighting a "culture war" in my mind about things people said would happen but didn't happen. Just so I make sure people know they were WRONG on a message board for the same 4 people to like my comments.

Advertisement
Back