On Judd Anderson

View as article
Sometimes people confuse physical for bro-style.

Michigan is physical but bro style, bad example because their current success now seems to be tied to blatant cheating that will inevitably lead to some hefty punishments.

Bama in their prime was physical, but explosive. LSU’s dream team had a physical rushing attack to pair with their explosive passing game. Tennessee last year, same deal. Ohio St likes to lean on their rushing attack (usually spread out like Tennessee to create spacing and a numerical advantage in the box) which then gives their elite WRs all the space they need to operate 1v1.

They also all had pretty elite QBs. Even Mike Bobo is airing it a bit more out because Beck is a dude and they have some very good receiving options.

I think everyone wants a physical Miami team. What they don’t want is bunched formations, no tempo, no motion, no verticality, and no diversity or explosiveness in the running game; simply running inside zone, to run inside zone.

yep.

Literally nobody is saying don’t be physical and don’t run the ball.

But what Mario tries to do on offense has let him down.

2021 Oregon:

-2.6 against Stanford
-1.7 Utah
-19.1 Utah

Those are the 3 losses he had that year.

2019:

1.8 ASU
-12.5 Auburn

Those are his two best teams.

ASU was the only loss with a positive offensive performance, and that was just 1.8.

His teams produce too many horrible offensive value games during the course of a season, and he can’t survive all of them. Nobody can.

Stop doing what doesn’t work. It’s not complicated except for people who actually think we’re about to become UGA for some reason.

Advertisement
Yep.

Hartman and Devin Leary were the 1A and 1B QB in the portal this past season. Leary sucks.

Hudson Card was next up. Sucks.

Then Sanders but he was only going to Colorado, so strike him.

Walker Howard is TBD.

Brennan Armstrong sucks.

Tanner Mordecai sucks.

Just a list of suck on top of suck.

It’s amazing to me that this week people have actually argued that Mario’s bunch the box bro style being led by I guess some Devin Leary type with Judd Anderson as the backup is going to be a successful offensive recipe.
****-you-youre-cool.gif

No one is arguing it is an exact science. The argument is that one route (signing blue chip QBs) has proven to work the other (evaluating low 3* to be the guy) has never worked.
And Mario signed blue chips 3 straight cycles at Oregon that were bust..Bama has signed Blue chips over a decade plus that the majority have been bust at that position..that’s why you stack talent on talent. If you believe The difference between the 20th ranked QB vs the 50th ranked QB any given cycle is massive..then that’s just a misguided assumption based a ranking..and If your overall conclusion after 1 full cycle under Mario is that that will be the formula..well I highly..highly doubt that. If Emory was a 4 star and Judd was a 4 star this would not be a discussion

Advertisement
Judd and jacurri for me
So FOR Mario you have a problem with 1 in 3 of his QBs since Jacurri was already committed when he got here, and whether you liked him or not wasn't getting dropped. Plus we also had the Rashada situation which honestly I'm not even sure you can put on Mario much, UF just promised him the world with no intention of delivering and he fell for it. So did you like Rashada?
I mean literally if we get a top Portal Qb for next season, disliking only 1 of our takes at QB in Marios tenure isn't really bad lol. I think you want to really dislike what we've done, but it actually hasn't been too much to complain about there.

These next 3 years at QB will be incredibly important. But I'd go Portal unless you think Emory or Nickell are the guys. And then if you decide they aren't you go all out for whoever the #1 HS Qb is with intention of him being an immediate starter for 3 years... Might take some lumps to start...

Honestly I think people are looking at Judd and just using that to say the entire gameplan at QB has been bad, when it just hasn't imo.

And Mario signed blue chips 3 straight cycles at Oregon that were bust..Bama has signed Blue chips over a decade plus that the majority have been bust at that position..that’s why you stack talent on talent. If you believe The difference between the 20th ranked QB vs the 50th ranked QB any given cycle is massive..then that’s just a misguided assumption based a ranking..and If your overall conclusion after 1 full cycle under Mario is that that will be the formula..well I highly..highly doubt that. If Emory was a 4 star and Judd was a 4 star this would not be a discussion

I don’t think anyone ?’d The Emory take; they ?’d him being the only QB taken. Most ppl r ?’ing the Judd take as a developmental QB1, especially when there’s a plethora of them available this cycle.

This is not a question of “if”, it’s a matter of fact of it is. Regardless of the hoops u’re jumping through, the facts r the facts; the teams that have won Nat’l Championships at an 80%+ clip have had blue chip QBs leading them; the ones who have not were led by 3* star QBs ranked in the top 25 at their position in the nation.

So here’s the conundrum fans have to face:

Either
A) The QBs that Mario r recruiting are overrated
B) The QBs he’s recruited are poorly developed under him
C) The QBs he’s recruited doesn’t fit his scheme

So either way, there’s 9 yrs of data that shows whether they’ve been 3*, 4*, Pro, DT, 6’2, or 6’6, something is off with his recruits at this position. Now, can it be we hit a home run in the portal? Possibly.

I don’t think anyone ?’d The Emory take; they ?’d him being the only QB taken. Most ppl r ?’ing the Judd take as a developmental QB1, especially when there’s a plethora of them available this cycle.

This is not a question of “if”, it’s a matter of fact of it is. Regardless of the hoops u’re jumping through, the facts r the facts; the teams that have won Nat’l Championships at an 80%+ clip have had blue chip QBs leading them; the ones who have not were led by 3* star QBs ranked in the top 25 at their position in the nation.

So here’s the conundrum fans have to face:

Either
A) The QBs that Mario r recruiting are overrated
B) The QBs he’s recruited are poorly developed under him
C) The QBs he’s recruited doesn’t fit his scheme

So either way, there’s 9 yrs of data that shows whether they’ve been 3*, 4*, Pro, DT, 6’2, or 6’6, something is off with his recruits at this position. Now, can it be we hit a home run in the portal? Possibly.
Rell, my boy, I’m not jumping through hoops lol..we are literally in year two. If we are using the Emory/Judd takes as the conclusive model of how Mario Will recruit that position going forward ..I think that’s nonsense..as far as evaluating that position at the HS level there are more bust even at the 4star level then we have time to discuss cycle over cycle..if anyone believes there’s some massive gap between the 20th ranked QB and the 50th QB coming out of HS...then they’re just crazy..therefore, if Emory and Judd were 4stars coming out of HS, would this be a discussion on this board with 4 games left sitting at
6-2..absolutely not..if Emory had been a 4star taking a spot duty start vs Clemson and winning..he’d be viewed as the second coming..based on HS rankings, nobody can say he didn’t recruit the position well at Oregon( I don’t count FIU at all)..were those 4stars he landed 3 straight cycles bust, sure. As Dmoney said earlier, evaluating that position at the HS level is akin to Evaluating pitchers at the HS level..your gunna miss a lot more than you hit…here’s a fact we all agree on, you have to stack talent..but I disagree on the notion that the Emory or Judd takes is proof of Mario’s concept in terms of that position going forward..that seems to be the crux of argument here..ultimately it’s gunna come down to proof of concept on the field to make the stacking of elite level arms a reality at Miami

So FOR Mario you have a problem with 1 in 3 of his QBs since Jacurri was already committed when he got here, and whether you liked him or not wasn't getting dropped. Plus we also had the Rashada situation which honestly I'm not even sure you can put on Mario much, UF just promised him the world with no intention of delivering and he fell for it. So did you like Rashada?
I mean literally if we get a top Portal Qb for next season, disliking only 1 of our takes at QB in Marios tenure isn't really bad lol. I think you want to really dislike what we've done, but it actually hasn't been too much to complain about there.

These next 3 years at QB will be incredibly important. But I'd go Portal unless you think Emory or Nickell are the guys. And then if you decide they aren't you go all out for whoever the #1 HS Qb is with intention of him being an immediate starter for 3 years... Might take some lumps to start...

Honestly I think people are looking at Judd and just using that to say the entire gameplan at QB has been bad, when it just hasn't imo.
I mean I wanna say Emory too but I’m not cause I don’t wanna be attacked lol

Advertisement
I mean I wanna say Emory too but I’m not cause I don’t wanna be attacked lol
I think Emory was a fine take. But clearly there are plenty of posters here who are convinced he was a good take regardless. Obviously we can't wait until after he is successful/fails to say it was a good/bad take. Gotta judge it at the time. And at the time he was also QB2 committed and has potential, and isn't expensive.

2024 season - Portal.
2025 season - Hope Emory (or Nickels) is that dude, Otherwise portal again (or portal guy has 2 years). Go all out For THE top 2026 HS prospect in recruiting.
2026 season - That top 2026 QB prospect starts for the next 3 years.

Last edited:

That’s exactly it lol. I think it’s crazy to use that as some concrete proof of the plan for that position going forward..really this is a year 3/4 recruiting cycle discussion..we are doing it in year 2

The big money positions in the NIL era (for high schoolers) should be CB and DT. The stats show that those are hard guys to find in the Portal, and the best players are usually the best prospects. It’s not “cope,” because we are struggling at those positions, too. It’s reality.
Scary that those just happen to be the positions we seem to be struggling to recruit the most

Does he, or is that more CIS conjecture?

What I highlighted was already stated, it’s not an exact science; however, if the data appears to be more in harmony than not, it’s a **** fine principal to go by.

But let’s take a few moments to address the notion of Mario & “prerequisite traits.”

What are these traits? Is it size? (Pause) Is it athleticism? Is it Arm Strength? Is it IQ? What is it? B/c all I see from his QB recruiting history is throwing darts in the dark, if imma keep it 100.

He didn’t recruit Herbert or TVD, so let’s eliminate those two from the equation.

Mario recruited at FIU:
2007: Colt Anderson (2* Pro-QB 6-4 195)
Colt Anderson never played QB at FIU; he became a TE

2009: Cedric McCloud (3* DT-QB 6-0 201)
McCloud never played QB at FIU. He transferred to Kent State

2010: Jake Medlock (3* DT-QB 6-2 215)
Medlock played 2 years at FIU for Mario, one as a back up & the other as a starter. Transfer Wesley Carroll from MissSt. (3* Pro-QB 6-2 190) was the starter. Carroll started two yrs (2010, 2011), completing 60.9% of his passes, throwing 30 TDs & 18 ints. Jake became the starter in Mario’s final season in 2012, completing 57.8% throwing for 13 TDs & 2 ints.

Let’s look at his time at UO:

2018: Tyler Shough (4* Pro-QB 6’4.5 187)
Started only the 2020 Covid Year for Mario. Transferred out for the 2021 season. Put up decent #’s in only 7 games, but was sacked a ton, leading to a 4-3 season.

2019: Cale Millen (4* Pro-QB 6’4 190)
Didn’t sniff the field, transferred to Northern Arizona. Didn’t see the field there, either. Became a CB and transferred to UConn (Tough & Physical, maybe?)

2020: Jay Butterfield (4* Pro-QB 6’6 202)
Didn’t see the field in 2020 or 2021. Didn’t see the field in 2022 under Lanning. Transferred to SJSU, & couldn’t see the field there either

2020: Robby Ashford (3* DT-QB 6’4 219)
Didn’t see the field under Mario; transferred to Auburn in 2022. Currently completing under 50% of his passes and has 9 TDs - 8 ints.

2020: Anthony Brown (a BC Transfer 3* DT-QB 6’1 210)
Best season came in 2021 under Mario, leading UO to the PAC-12 Title Game.

2021: Ty Thompson (4* Pro-QB 6’4 215)
Played sparingly as Anthony Brown’s back up in 2021. Currently the back up for Bo Nix.

So let’s recap:

1. Mario’s best seasons at both FIU & UO came from either a transfer QB or an inherited QB

2. There appears to be not a “type” w/ Mario. I mean, I guess we can say height for the most part, particularly at Oregon (& I’m thinking he’s trying to find the next Herbert), but his recruited QBs are all over the place in abilities.

3. The obvious elephant in the room is this; none, & I literally mean none of HIS recruited QBs have amounted to ****.

So I leave it to u, CIS, to tell us about the eval history at this position. I’m not talking OL, RBs or maybe even DEs; I’m talking QBs. I just gave u unadulterated facts from guys he recruited. So what makes u think I’m going to feel warm & fuzzy about a kid who’s the 59th ranked QB in the nation panning out when even his Pro-Style 4* QBs at UO were dog ****?
It appears the one dominant “prerequisite trait” Mario looks for in a QB is that they must above all suck

Advertisement
Yeah? What was Mahomes
And u’re wrong. Lol. There are fewer 5* QBs by a country mile than 3* QBs, yet I just clearly showed their draft success at a 66% clip! I can guarandamntee u that the 3* pct is not remotely that high. Just b/c it’s a bigger pool to pull from does not mean they are having more success getting drafted.

And yeah, most likely we’ll have to go portal shopping, but portal shopping ain’t that easy. Mario’s best Portal QB was 3* Brown from BC. If TVD have another bad year, both coming under Mario, after just being the ACC Rookie of the year under Manny….yeah, let’s just say this notion of finding a quality QB may be more difficult than u think. Portal QBs are looking for the best opportunities to play AND make the NFL.
Yeah? What was Mahomes rated? What was Josh Allen rated? Go back and look at last years draft and the ratings from high school and tell me I’m wrong. For the second time I’m not saying don’t recruit 5 stars. And that graph has zero to do with the point I made about Portal QBs. We are taking a portal QB especially if TVD is gone.

How highly rated were the last 10 NC quarterbacks?

Advertisement
Rell, my boy, I’m not jumping through hoops lol..we are literally in year two. If we are using the Emory/Judd takes as the conclusive model of how Mario Will recruit that position going forward ..I think that’s nonsense..as far as evaluating that position at the HS level there are more bust even at the 4star level then we have time to discuss cycle over cycle..if anyone believes there’s some massive gap between the 20th ranked QB and the 50th QB coming out of HS...then they’re just crazy..therefore, if Emory and Judd were 4stars coming out of HS, would this be a discussion on this board with 4 games left sitting at
6-2..absolutely not..if Emory had been a 4star taking a spot duty start vs Clemson and winning..he’d be viewed as the second coming..based on HS rankings, nobody can say he didn’t recruit the position well at Oregon( I don’t count FIU at all)..were those 4stars he landed 3 straight cycles bust, sure. As Dmoney said earlier, evaluating that position at the HS level is akin to Evaluating pitchers at the HS level..your gunna miss a lot more than you hit…here’s a fact we all agree on, you have to stack talent..but I disagree on the notion that the Emory or Judd takes is proof of Mario’s concept in terms of that position going forward..that seems to be the crux of argument here..ultimately it’s gunna come down to proof of concept on the field to make the stacking of elite level arms a reality at Miami

My guy; we’re not using year two; we’re using history. Lol

So I’m saying if Mario has been less than stellar w his history at recruiting 4* QBs, then yes we have every right to be concerned w/ these new prospects. When we’re told to “trust the evaluations”, OK, then let’s provide said evaluations under his tenure.

You can’t have it both ways; posters r upset b/c they r constantly told “rankings don’t matter.” Lol; since when? If u wanna say trust the evaluations at OL, RB, & DEs u have zero issues; but, when u’re told to trust the evaluations at QB & not rankings, then got **** it if we don’t have the right to examine that claim to see if it’s valid. The proof shows it’s not.

Of course having a blue chip QB would make the fan base feel better b/c, AGAIN, the teams winning Nat’l Titles have generally been led by blue chip QBs. The teams who are consistently winning 10+ games/year r typically led by blue chip QBs. But guess what, neither are, so it’s a moot point even bringing that in to the equation.

Emory was deemed as a developmental QB
Judd is deemed as a developmental QB

Does he, or is that more CIS conjecture?

What I highlighted was already stated, it’s not an exact science; however, if the data appears to be more in harmony than not, it’s a **** fine principal to go by.

But let’s take a few moments to address the notion of Mario & “prerequisite traits.”

So let’s recap:

1. Mario’s best seasons at both FIU & UO came from either a transfer QB or an inherited QB

2. There appears to be not a “type” w/ Mario. I mean, I guess we can say height for the most part, particularly at Oregon (& I’m thinking he’s trying to find the next Herbert), but his recruited QBs are all over the place in abilities.

3. The obvious elephant in the room is this; none, & I literally mean none of HIS recruited QBs have amounted to ****.

So I leave it to u, CIS, to tell us about the eval history at this position. I’m not talking OL, RBs or maybe even DEs; I’m talking QBs. I just gave u unadulterated facts from guys he recruited. So what makes u think I’m going to feel warm & fuzzy about a kid who’s the 59th ranked QB in the nation panning out when even his Pro-Style 4* QBs at UO were dog ****?
Same years:
Bama Commits:
2018: Layne Hatcher - Transfered to Ball state. Never heard of him.
2019: Taulia Tagovailoa - Transfered to Maryland. Doing okay there. Does it count as a hit?
2020: Bryce Young, and Logan Burnett. Young was the #1 Player in the nation. Logan Burnett was a transfer, no idea who he is.
2021: Jalen Milroe. Starting currently. Not very good and tried to get TVD to replace him, and brought in a transfer from ND who is even worse. Does this count as development? Or is this basically the same thing as Mario getting Anthony Brown?
2022: Ty Simpson. TBD hasn't done anything.
2023: Eli Holstein and Tyler Buchner. TBD on Holstein, hasn't done anything. Buchner was a complete wiff.

And All these QBs they've brought in were higher rated than the guys Mario has gotten. Funny thing is in 2017 they got Mac Jones who was a 3star 87 rating 17th in the class, and like the lowest rated guy in their last 7 classes at QB. And he was by far the best internally developed guy.

Moral of this story? Go all out for THE #1 HS QB prospect every 3 years, and Fill in with the Portal in between if you need a starter. Them being a 94 rated player by 247 and a 87 rated player might not change all that much in their development. And in todays CFB where the Portal is used so much more heavily, and NIL... this seems like the best plan. Like look at the above and ask yourself how much money would it cost today in NIL to get all those 94+ rated top100 QBs to have them not produce anything...

Last edited:
My guy; we’re not using year two; we’re using history. Lol

So I’m saying if Mario has been less than stellar w his history at recruiting 4* QBs, then yes we have every right to be concerned w/ these new prospects. When we’re told to “trust the evaluations”, OK, then let’s provide said evaluations under his tenure.

You can’t have it both ways; posters r upset b/c they r constantly told “rankings don’t matter.” Lol; since when? If u wanna say trust the evaluations at OL, RB, & DEs u have zero issues; but, when u’re told to trust the evaluations at QB & not rankings, then got **** it if we don’t have the right to examine that claim to see if it’s valid. The proof shows it’s not.

Of course having a blue chip QB would make the fan base feel better b/c, AGAIN, the teams winning Nat’l Titles have generally been led by blue chip QBs. The teams who are consistently winning 10+ games/year r typically led by blue chip QBs. But guess what, neither are, so it’s a moot point even bringing that in to the equation.

Emory was deemed as a developmental QB
Judd is deemed as a developmental QB
I deem all HS QBs as developmental guys. I guess that ultimately what I’m getting at..that’s how I’ve always viewed the position. As said before, if Judd or Emory had a 4star next to their names..this would not be a topic..in my view, there’s been very little separation between 20th ranked QB recruit in a given year and the guys in the 40-50 range

If this about you not trusting Mario’s QB evaluations over the years
(again I don’t count his time at FIU) then imo opinion that a totally different argument and need more time at Miami for that to become a debate. During his time at Oregon very few questions were aimed at how he recruited that position at the HS level..did those guy pan out at Oregon or other places, nope. They were all pretty well regarded recruits coming out nonetheless..I don’t believe in pegging a given recruit “the guy”..that’s why you stack the room, get them in the building and compete… btw ain’t no QB in the nation making us a title contender next year..still need some roster work at DB, Dline & WR..let’s just let the process play out an revisit this conversation next off season with his 3rd full class

Advertisement
Back