On Judd Anderson

View as article
Who challenges the portal QB? The guy we brought in in 23 lol… you know the exact same way you’re saying the guy challenging TVD this year should be a guy from 21 or 22… what you’re saying could have a point if it wasn’t just wrong based on our actual roster and situation. And before this yr we had Garcia competing but he transfered out.
I do not care what your opinion is. Not going to read anything you write. Take care.

Advertisement
How many teams brought in a transferQB after only recruiting projects in HS? Looking at the same top 20 you want to use. Who else is going the 3* route?View attachment 264008
Joe Biden GIF by ABC News

If the argument is against Judd specifically, I won't push back. He's not my pick. It will be interesting to watch how he finishes and whether he gets a bump into that Top 30 range.

What I'm saying is that any high school QB is an unknown and a risk. It's like drafting a high school pitcher. That's why Portal QBs are dominating right now. Many didn't succeed at their first stop because they didn't fit the system or needed to mature. The second school knew what they were buying.

At the high school level, I don't care if they are three, four or five stars-- give me athletes with character and upside. Those are the guys that blossom. Even if you compare Jake Garcia (48th overall) to Tyler Van Dyke (222nd overall), it was the multisport athlete with tools who surpassed the "safer" highly rated kid that had polish and high school coaching.

It is very rare to have a safe bet in high school, and paying for those guys is a huge risk. The best pro QBs were late-bloomers and the best college QBs are transfers.
If you look ok at it objectively it’s seems to be the plan.
You have to get top qb’s early and hold off everyone trying to snipe him.
Yes it happens to other positions but qb recruitment is a different animal imo.
The reason being is that your entire class rests on one dude panning out. No other position has that kind of weight.

It seems like too high of an effort in recruiting for one of the least guaranteed evaluations.

People praise Ohio state but they let go of a heisman and natty winner.
As much *** kissing as people give Ohio state on here; a qb that they let go broke all kinds of records under a coach who needs subtitles so you can understand him. Oh, and he is starting in the nfl while they haven’t managed to win a natty since urban won it with a qb that couldn’t throw.

They literally missed on the dude who they recruited and evaluated every day at practice. Think about that before every cis qb guru keeps this thread running on pure guessing about who can play where and do what and speculating on what the staff is doing.

It seems to me that it would be a lot easier to build a great team and have it waiting for a great qb to come transfer into.

People seem to forget that our head coach is a recruiter and also has a reputation for building good teams. So why is he half stepping going after an elite QB?

If I’m a top tier qb wanting to transfer and I see tvd barely getting sacked and getting 5-7 seconds to throw…… I’m bouncing to the U.

I have a feeling this portal season is gonna be very very interesting for this team. And I have a feeling it’s gonna be quick.

I think my main concern, which may have been mentioned in the last 20 pages of diatribes, is the impact on recruiting as a whole if you go the developmental HS + Portal route. How many top tier guys are signing up when they have no idea who their qb is going to be year to year, and I don’t know if statistics back it up but it’s always felt like high end qbs being committed leads to better classes overall. But that may be more correlation than causation.

Advertisement
I think, when it comes to the guys you HL starring in the league..even as prospects they all had Elite tools. From an athletic standpoint. Arm strength standpoint. Size standpoint. The reason That position at the HS level is ultimately hard to judge is imo due to a lot of factors..which includes exposure, coaching and training and reps playing the position. Even with the guys you listed as former 3star that are stars in the league now they probably didn’t get the proper exposure or even training at the HS level..

I know from Lamar’s standpoint he was viewed as a guy who was probably suited to play another position at the college level and a lot of schools passed on him. Mahomes was an elite baseball prospect and raw at the QB position out of HS..but when you see a kid 6’2/6’3 in HS playing SS and Basketball throwing 95 mph across the diamond, you could easily see the traits..and if I’m not mistaken was a kid who grew late and was under 6”0 as a Junior in HS. Josh Allen from what I read was about 6’3 185 out of HS, didn’t camp at elite Qb camps and had like one offer from San Diego state as a walk on. He was a kid who played multiple sports including basketball baseball & I believe track also..he also worked a job in hs lol

A lot of it goes far beyond 247 rankings that are usually pretty solid references. But it can’t be the be all end all when evaluating. Clearly this kid Judd, a kin to Emory last cycle was someone the staff was higher on than most when they evaluated him in person. These kids are not finished products coming..**** they are no where near finished products . I think fans get caught up in the rankings, which do a pretty good job on the prospects they vet..but if they never see nor hear about you..?

Mario seems to be a coach who looks for prerequisite traits. Not only at QB but other positions..would anyone so far view Emory As a complete miss or reach based on his months on campus..I don’t think so

Does he, or is that more CIS conjecture?

What I highlighted was already stated, it’s not an exact science; however, if the data appears to be more in harmony than not, it’s a **** fine principal to go by.

But let’s take a few moments to address the notion of Mario & “prerequisite traits.”

What are these traits? Is it size? (Pause) Is it athleticism? Is it Arm Strength? Is it IQ? What is it? B/c all I see from his QB recruiting history is throwing darts in the dark, if imma keep it 100.

He didn’t recruit Herbert or TVD, so let’s eliminate those two from the equation.

Mario recruited at FIU:
2007: Colt Anderson (2* Pro-QB 6-4 195)
Colt Anderson never played QB at FIU; he became a TE

2009: Cedric McCloud (3* DT-QB 6-0 201)
McCloud never played QB at FIU. He transferred to Kent State

2010: Jake Medlock (3* DT-QB 6-2 215)
Medlock played 2 years at FIU for Mario, one as a back up & the other as a starter. Transfer Wesley Carroll from MissSt. (3* Pro-QB 6-2 190) was the starter. Carroll started two yrs (2010, 2011), completing 60.9% of his passes, throwing 30 TDs & 18 ints. Jake became the starter in Mario’s final season in 2012, completing 57.8% throwing for 13 TDs & 2 ints.

Let’s look at his time at UO:

2018: Tyler Shough (4* Pro-QB 6’4.5 187)
Started only the 2020 Covid Year for Mario. Transferred out for the 2021 season. Put up decent #’s in only 7 games, but was sacked a ton, leading to a 4-3 season.

2019: Cale Millen (4* Pro-QB 6’4 190)
Didn’t sniff the field, transferred to Northern Arizona. Didn’t see the field there, either. Became a CB and transferred to UConn (Tough & Physical, maybe?)

2020: Jay Butterfield (4* Pro-QB 6’6 202)
Didn’t see the field in 2020 or 2021. Didn’t see the field in 2022 under Lanning. Transferred to SJSU, & couldn’t see the field there either

2020: Robby Ashford (3* DT-QB 6’4 219)
Didn’t see the field under Mario; transferred to Auburn in 2022. Currently completing under 50% of his passes and has 9 TDs - 8 ints.

2020: Anthony Brown (a BC Transfer 3* DT-QB 6’1 210)
Best season came in 2021 under Mario, leading UO to the PAC-12 Title Game.

2021: Ty Thompson (4* Pro-QB 6’4 215)
Played sparingly as Anthony Brown’s back up in 2021. Currently the back up for Bo Nix.

So let’s recap:

1. Mario’s best seasons at both FIU & UO came from either a transfer QB or an inherited QB

2. There appears to be not a “type” w/ Mario. I mean, I guess we can say height for the most part, particularly at Oregon (& I’m thinking he’s trying to find the next Herbert), but his recruited QBs are all over the place in abilities.

3. The obvious elephant in the room is this; none, & I literally mean none of HIS recruited QBs have amounted to ****.

So I leave it to u, CIS, to tell us about the eval history at this position. I’m not talking OL, RBs or maybe even DEs; I’m talking QBs. I just gave u unadulterated facts from guys he recruited. So what makes u think I’m going to feel warm & fuzzy about a kid who’s the 59th ranked QB in the nation panning out when even his Pro-Style 4* QBs at UO were dog ****?

What I highlighted was already stated, it’s not an exact science; however, if the data appears to be more in harmony than not, it’s a **** fine principal to go by.

But let’s take a few moments to address the notion of Mario & “prerequisite traits.”

What are these traits? Is it size? (Pause) Is it athleticism? Is it Arm Strength? Is it IQ? What is it? B/c all I see from his QB recruiting history is throwing darts in the dark, if imma keep it 100.

He didn’t recruit Herbert or TVD, so let’s eliminate those two from the equation.

Mario recruited at FIU:

Medlock played 2 years at FIU for Mario, one as a back up & the other as a starter. Transfer Wesley Carroll from MissSt. (3* Pro-QB 6-2 190) was the starter. Carroll started two yrs (2010, 2011), completing 60.9% of his passes, throwing 30 TDs & 18 ints. Jake became the starter in Mario’s final season in 2012, completing 57.8% throwing for 13 TDs & 2 ints.

Started only the 2020 Covid Year for Mario. Transferred out for the 2021 season. Put up decent #’s in only 7 games, but was sacked a ton, leading to a 4-3 season.

Didn’t sniff the field, transferred to Northern Arizona. Didn’t see the field there, either. Became a CB and transferred to UConn (Tough & Physical, maybe?)

Didn’t see the field in 2020 or 2021. Didn’t see the field in 2022 under Lanning. Transferred to SJSU, & couldn’t see the field there either

Didn’t see the field under Mario; transferred to Auburn in 2022. Currently completing under 50% of his passes and has 9 TDs - 8 ints.

Played sparingly as Anthony Brown’s back up in 2021. Currently the back up for Bo Nix.

So let’s recap:

1. Mario’s best seasons at both FIU & UO came from either a transfer QB or an inherited QB

2. There appears to be not a “type” w/ Mario. I mean, I guess we can say height for the most part, particularly at Oregon (& I’m thinking he’s trying to find the next Herbert), but his recruited QBs are all over the place in abilities.

3. The obvious elephant in the room is this; none, & I literally mean none of HIS recruited QBs have amounted to ****.

So I leave it to u, CIS, to tell us about the eval history at this position. I’m not talking OL, RBs or maybe even DEs; I’m talking QBs. I just gave u unadulterated facts from guys he recruited. So what makes u think I’m going to feel warm & fuzzy about a kid who’s the 59th ranked QB in the nation panning out when even his Pro-Style 4* QBs at UO were dog ****?
If they spin this post they’re better than DJ premier

Advertisement
The point is that if noone is ready to compete now it creates an unbalance. Just like we see this year. We have no one on the roster to challenge TVD or force the coaches hand. If we had a guy the staff thought was ready the chances of throwing an injured starter out there would greatly decrease. The guys we brought in during 2021 and 2022 should be our backup. Instead our only alternative is the 2023 guy that wont be ready until 2025. Who challenges the portal QB?
Alright..let’s just kill this foolishness..which will surely resurrect itself lol..I am in no way gunna suggest TVDs struggles vs GT, 2nd half vs UNC and vs UVA is acceptable in conference play..especially the INTs..that said, how many programs are yanking a guy with 16 TDS completing 70% of his passes just under 2,000 yard..the answer is NO ONE..do you think TVD is the only “injured” starting QB who will be lining up to play tomorrow’?

Now as far as the QB recruiting under Mario after 1 full cycle..idk exactly what you’re debating about? Is it that Mario should’ve taken 2 guys in 22? Or 2 lady cycle? Or that based on 247 rankings you dont think they’re adequate enough? You don’t think we could get Brown or Williams ready to play winning football if van dyke leaves?..and the would be guy backing them up isn’t a viable backup ?..or are you debating numbers? I think most ppl agree we need to and will go in the portal to grab a guy to compete..but if you look around the country..like legitimately & objectively look, most rooms have a big drop from 1-2..as do we. The team we play this weekend grabbed an experienced guy out of the portal who’s backup is less than ideal..the number 2 prospect at QB last year..a 5 star in Dante Moore just got benched at UCLA after he was inserted for nothing more than a game managing Vet.. Bama was just playing QB musical chairs a few weeks ago their guy has the same skill set as Brown..Oregon backup is Ty Thompson..after him 2 TF. Our situation, truthfully isn’t due to negligence nor is it rare..it also isn’t ideal..If TVD. Had thrown 3 TDs in a win last week this would likely not be a discussion

We are having offseason discussions with 4 games to go lol

All that typing and I never once said we shouldn’t go after 5 star QBs. What I said was, based on the NfL draft more 3 stars ( players overall) get drafted. I also said we will sign a portal QB with Anderson. All true.

And u’re wrong. Lol. There are fewer 5* QBs by a country mile than 3* QBs, yet I just clearly showed their draft success at a 66% clip! I can guarandamntee u that the 3* pct is not remotely that high. Just b/c it’s a bigger pool to pull from does not mean they are having more success getting drafted.

And yeah, most likely we’ll have to go portal shopping, but portal shopping ain’t that easy. Mario’s best Portal QB was 3* Brown from BC. If TVD have another bad year, both coming under Mario, after just being the ACC Rookie of the year under Manny….yeah, let’s just say this notion of finding a quality QB may be more difficult than u think. Portal QBs are looking for the best opportunities to play AND make the NFL.

Alright..let’s just kill this foolishness..which will surely resurrect itself lol..I am in no way gunna suggest TVDs struggles vs GT, 2nd half vs UNC and vs UVA is acceptable in conference play..especially the INTs..that said, how many programs are yanking a guy with 16 TDS completing 70% of his passes just under 2,000 yard..the answer is NO ONE..do you think TVD is the only “injured” starting QB who will be lining up to play tomorrow’?

Now as far as the QB recruiting under Mario after 1 full cycle..idk exactly what you’re debating about? Is it that Mario should’ve taken 2 guys in 22? Or 2 lady cycle? Or that based on 247 rankings you dont think they’re adequate enough? You don’t think we could get Brown or Williams ready to play winning football if van dyke leaves?..and the would be guy backing them up isn’t a viable backup ?..or are you debating numbers? I think most ppl agree we need to and will go in the portal to grab a guy to compete..but if you look around the country..like legitimately & objectively look, most rooms have a big drop from 1-2..as do we. The team we play this weekend grabbed an experienced guy out of the portal who’s backup is less than ideal..the number 2 prospect at QB last year..a 5 star in Dante Moore just got benched at UCLA after he was inserted for nothing more than a game managing Vet.. Bama was just playing QB musical chairs a few weeks ago their guy has the same skill set as Brown..Oregon backup is Ty Thompson..after him 2 TF. Our situation, truthfully isn’t due to negligence nor is it rare..it also isn’t ideal..If TVD. Had thrown 3 TDs in a win last week this would likely not be a discussion

We are having offseason discussions with 4 games to go lol
Once we lost Garcia we should have brought in another QB to be the backup and ideally challenge to play next year. Our QB room is a year behind now.

Advertisement
Not sure where you get info from but Oregon and UW each had two. Ole Miss signed Austin Simmons who reclassified so zero is not accurate either.

I was just looking at 247's ranking to make it faster. Simmons is a 3* on 247 and 4* composite. Ole Miss took a 4* transfer https://247sports.com/player/walker-howard-46058715/ after Dart.

Last I checked, Brown was a 4* in 2022 which puts an end to the discussion of Miami not signing a blue chipper.

I was just looking at 247's ranking to make it faster. Simmons is a 3* on 247 and 4* composite. Ole Miss took a 4* transfer https://247sports.com/player/walker-howard-46058715/ after Dart.

Last I checked, Brown was a 4* in 2022 which puts an end to the discussion of Miami not signing a blue chipper.

Jacurri was a Manny recruit that Mario kept. Mario has recruited Emory and Judd discussion still open.

Advertisement

Mario recruited at FIU:

So let’s recap:

Lol that’s my point..none of these guys are finished prospects out of HS. From the guys you listed especially at Oregon, size does seem to be a requisite factor. A few of those guys were also pretty highly thought of as HS prospects ..I’m not claiming Mario is a QB whisperer either. I’m also not ecstatic about Judd..I wasn’t ecstatic about Emory Williams either..that said I wouldn’t characterize his evaluations as “throwing darts” lol..my point is and was, like most prospects at that position..we will see how they translate..it’s not an exact science..even by the rankings..there’s few college HC or even coordinators whom I look at and give their QB evaluations in HS a automatic stamp of approval.. I do actually think we found something to mold In the Williams kid..funny thing is Mario recruits the position on paper like he did at Oregon this will be a mute factor..even tho none of them have panned out..as HS prospects the guys at Oregon were pretty highly thought of. Signed multiple 4 stars at that position..again not an exact science at all even based on the rankings

Once we lost Garcia we should have brought in another QB to be the backup and ideally challenge to play next year. Our QB room is a year behind now.
Garcia coming into this season, I believe was a none factor..you can say we should’ve signed a vet..and if it was the right guy I’d likely agree..even then it’s no guarantee that guy is the guy of TVD leaves after this season. Here’s the QB portal list from last cycle..I don’t see anyone viable who would sit moving the needle heading into 2024

I don’t think the QB is in a drastically bad situation as you seem to suggest..should we grab an arm to compete in comp next season, yes

Lol that’s my point..none of these guys are finished prospects out of HS. From the guys you listed especially at Oregon, size does seem to be a requisite factor. A few of those guys were also pretty highly thought of as HS prospects ..I’m not claiming Mario is a QB whisperer either. I’m also not ecstatic about Judd..I wasn’t ecstatic about Emory Williams either..that said I wouldn’t characterize his evaluations as “throwing darts” lol..my point is and was, like most prospects at that position..we will see how they translate..it’s not an exact science..even by the rankings..there’s few college HC or even coordinators whom I look at and give their QB evaluations in HS a automatic stamp of approval.. I do actually think we found something to mold In the Williams kid..funny thing is Mario recruits the position on paper like he did at Oregon this will be a mute factor..even tho none of them have panned out..as HS prospects the guys at Oregon were pretty highly thought of. Signed multiple 4 stars at that position..again not an exact science at all even based on the rankings
No one is arguing it is an exact science. The argument is that one route (signing blue chip QBs) has proven to work the other (evaluating low 3* to be the guy) has never worked.

Advertisement
Back