On Judd Anderson

View as article
Who says the portal QB has to have 1 season left, and remind me where the portal is going in '25 that we cannot use it again. And we also have a QB committed in '25
Gotcha just auction job off ever year to rentals. Brilliant. Im old enough to remember a time when CIS laughed at the thought of using portal instead of development.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is a highly uniformed post. I'm not even sure how to respond to this nonsense.
WTF- I asked about Bennett and said you should wait to determine 2024 to see if these teams really plan on starting blue chip kids vs taking more portal QBs. Sure your point of developing a strong QB room stands but you are also saying that Williams and Brown are much worse than Stetson Bennett who walked on at UGA and transferred to a Juco.

If we are going to evaluate successful portal QBs vs HS, I'm 100% on board with taking a kid with at least 2 years left and preferably 3 years left to play. The majority of transfer QBs that have had success are at those schools for more than 1 year.
The transfer QB could be a underclassman or a guy with mutiple years left like Jaden Daniels when he went to LSU. Someone is convincing 🙌@cway313 we can only go after grad seniors. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Advertisement
Well, I wasn’t responding to u D$ vs. outlining the notion that there are more 5* QBs that are bust than 3* QBs which is just false.

However we’ve talked & discussed this b4. Judd is currently ranked as the 1059th player overall & 59th QB.

As I peruse through the Justin Herbert comparison or ****, Josh Allen, too;

Allen - 200 overall JUCO player ; 5th overall JUCO QB
Herbert - 648 overall ; 25th overall QB

Let’s look at Mahomes:
389 overall ; 22nd overall QB

Let’s look at Prescott:
611 overall ; 20th overall DT QB

Let’s look at Lamar Jackson
398th overall : 12th overall DT QB

What’s my point? With the successful 3-star QBs we know today that are thriving at the next level, they were still w/in that top 25 in the nation realm at their position. Now of course, again, are there exceptions? Sure; we have the Baker Mayfields, Daniel Jones, Jordan Loves of the world, too; but, that’s literally a needle in the haystack throughout the history of successful QBs.

OK; let’s talk NIL & allocations:

What position currently makes the most money in a capped league, currently, at the professional level? That’s right, the QB. U know y? B/c when u have a QB that’s elite, it makes a coach’s job reaaaaaal easy.

Now, maybe Mario doesn’t want an elite QB prospect; maybe he wants a guy who knows how to hand off the ball, & pass between 5-9 yards, with an occasional deep shot b/c he wants to focus on being a tough team. If that’s the end game, then yes; let’s focus our NIL on the trenches & some RBs. I’ll also bet u, our ceiling w/ be a once in a blue moon 10 win season, too, w/ that philosophy b/c every game will be a 50/50 - 60/40 shot of winning when playing against other P5 teams.
If the argument is against Judd specifically, I won't push back. He's not my pick. It will be interesting to watch how he finishes and whether he gets a bump into that Top 30 range.

What I'm saying is that any high school QB is an unknown and a risk. It's like drafting a high school pitcher. That's why Portal QBs are dominating right now. Many didn't succeed at their first stop because they didn't fit the system or needed to mature. The second school knew what they were buying.

At the high school level, I don't care if they are three, four or five stars-- give me athletes with character and upside. Those are the guys that blossom. Even if you compare Jake Garcia (48th overall) to Tyler Van Dyke (222nd overall), it was the multisport athlete with tools who surpassed the "safer" highly rated kid that had polish and high school coaching.

It is very rare to have a safe bet in high school, and paying for those guys is a huge risk. The best pro QBs were late-bloomers and the best college QBs are transfers.

Well, I wasn’t responding to u D$ vs. outlining the notion that there are more 5* QBs that are bust than 3* QBs which is just false.

However we’ve talked & discussed this b4. Judd is currently ranked as the 1059th player overall & 59th QB.

As I peruse through the Justin Herbert comparison or ****, Josh Allen, too;

Allen - 200 overall JUCO player ; 5th overall JUCO QB
Herbert - 648 overall ; 25th overall QB

Let’s look at Mahomes:
389 overall ; 22nd overall QB

Let’s look at Prescott:
611 overall ; 20th overall DT QB

Let’s look at Lamar Jackson
398th overall : 12th overall DT QB

What’s my point? With the successful 3-star QBs we know today that are thriving at the next level, they were still w/in that top 25 in the nation realm at their position. Now of course, again, are there exceptions? Sure; we have the Baker Mayfields, Daniel Jones, Jordan Loves of the world, too; but, that’s literally a needle in the haystack throughout the history of successful QBs.

OK; let’s talk NIL & allocations:

What position currently makes the most money in a capped league, currently, at the professional level? That’s right, the QB. U know y? B/c when u have a QB that’s elite, it makes a coach’s job reaaaaaal easy.

Now, maybe Mario doesn’t want an elite QB prospect; maybe he wants a guy who knows how to hand off the ball, & pass between 5-9 yards, with an occasional deep shot b/c he wants to focus on being a tough team. If that’s the end game, then yes; let’s focus our NIL on the trenches & some RBs. I’ll also bet u, our ceiling w/ be a once in a blue moon 10 win season, too, w/ that philosophy b/c every game will be a 50/50 - 60/40 shot of winning when playing against other P5 teams.
I think, when it comes to the guys you HL starring in the league..even as prospects they all had Elite tools. From an athletic standpoint. Arm strength standpoint. Size standpoint. The reason That position at the HS level is ultimately hard to judge is imo due to a lot of factors..which includes exposure, coaching and training and reps playing the position. Even with the guys you listed as former 3star that are stars in the league now they probably didn’t get the proper exposure or even training at the HS level..

I know from Lamar’s standpoint he was viewed as a guy who was probably suited to play another position at the college level and a lot of schools passed on him. Mahomes was an elite baseball prospect and raw at the QB position out of HS..but when you see a kid 6’2/6’3 in HS playing SS and Basketball throwing 95 mph across the diamond, you could easily see the traits..and if I’m not mistaken was a kid who grew late and was under 6”0 as a Junior in HS. Josh Allen from what I read was about 6’3 185 out of HS, didn’t camp at elite Qb camps and had like one offer from San Diego state as a walk on. He was a kid who played multiple sports including basketball baseball & I believe track also..he also worked a job in hs lol

A lot of it goes far beyond 247 rankings that are usually pretty solid references. But it can’t be the be all end all when evaluating. Clearly this kid Judd, a kin to Emory last cycle was someone the staff was higher on than most when they evaluated him in person. These kids are not finished products coming..**** they are no where near finished products . I think fans get caught up in the rankings, which do a pretty good job on the prospects they vet..but if they never see nor hear about you..?

Mario seems to be a coach who looks for prerequisite traits. Not only at QB but other positions..would anyone so far view Emory As a complete miss or reach based on his months on campus..I don’t think so

Sometimes people confuse physical for bro-style.

I think everyone wants a physical Miami team. What they don’t want is bunched formations, no tempo, no motion, no verticality, and no diversity or explosiveness in the running game; simply running inside zone, to run inside zone.
Exactly. Physical doesn't just mean using multiple tight ends and running it up the gut for 3 yards over and over while taking the entire play clock to run a play. You can dominate physically from spread formations while running no huddle from the shotgun every down.

There's one game I always point to when I'm talking about dominating a team physically. It's the 2015 Russell Athletic Bowl. Baylor was starting a WR at QB because they had nobody left at the position. They ran the ball 82(!) times for 657 yards and 7 touchdowns. All no-huddle. All wide open run and shoot formations. UNC knew Baylor couldn't throw and still couldn't stop them. It was the most impressive offensive performance I think I've ever seen. It's not like UNC had to even bother defending the pass. Baylor just ran at will.

Advertisement
You are the one laughing off development. You are the one convinced that the high school players they are bringing in can't be developed my guy. Thats called projection.
They are bringing in guys that need 2-3 years minimum to be ready to compete. That is different and you are being ignorant just to be ignorant.

If the argument is against Judd specifically, I won't push back. He's not my pick. It will be interesting to watch how he finishes and whether he gets a bump into that Top 30 range.

What I'm saying is that any high school QB is an unknown and a risk. It's like drafting a high school pitcher. That's why Portal QBs are dominating right now. Many didn't succeed at their first stop because they didn't fit the system or needed to mature. The second school knew what they were buying.

At the high school level, I don't care if they are three, four or five stars-- give me athletes with character and upside. Those are the guys that blossom. Even if you compare Jake Garcia (48th overall) to Tyler Van Dyke (222nd overall), it was the multisport athlete with tools who surpassed the "safer" highly rated kid that had polish and high school coaching.

It is very rare to have a safe bet in high school, and paying for those guys is a huge risk. The best pro QBs were late-bloomers and the best college QBs are transfers.
You are a being a prisoner of the moment with your logic. Taking this year and projecting it as if it is the future. Just last year all the best QBs were home grown. Next year will be entirely different. You also aren't taking into account all the QBs that fail even after transferring. The portal is still a risk. If you cant admit that Idk why you are arguing.

That’s a spot on comp. How much camp, 7v7 exposure has Judd had?

Last edited:
They are bringing in guys that need 2-3 years minimum to be ready to compete. That is different and you are being ignorant just to be ignorant.
Majority of HS QBs need 2-3 years to develop. HS gets you nowhere close to ready for the College level. Very few of even the elite prospects come in even close to ready. The ones that have been usually have ELITE TALENT surrounding them. Go through the QB rankings from last cycle..which Can’t Miss Fresh is lighting it up..even in their spring games how many looked special?

Advertisement
Let’s look at this to see if this is accurate.

Composite 5* QBs since 2005:
-Perrilloux (Bust)
-Sanchez (1st round pick - college win% .875)
-Tebow (1st round pick - college win% .872)
-Stafford (1st round pick - college win% .794)
-Mustain (bust)
-Clausen (2nd round pick - college win% .432)
-Mallet (3rd round pick - college win% .724)
-Corp (bust)
-Brantley (bust)
-Taylor (6th round pick - college win% .833)
-Newton (1st round pick - college win% 1.000)
-Pryor (3rd round pick - college win% .861)
-Manuel (1st round pick - college win% .781)
-Crist (bust)
-Barkley (4th round pick - college win% .729)
-Boyd (6th round pick - college win% .800)
-Gilbert (6th round pick - college win% .487)
-Shepherd (bust b/c he became a WR at LSU)
-A. Murray (5th round pick - college win% .643)
-Sims (bust)
-Driskel (6th round pick - college win% .696)
-Miller (3rd round pick (WR); QB win% 2011-13: .765)
-Kiel (bust)
-Winston (1st round pick - college win% .964)
-Brown (bust)
-Hackenburg (2nd round pick - college win% .552)
-Allen (Bust)
-Rosen (1st round pick - college win% .531)
-Barnett (bust)
-K. Murray (1st pick - college win% .823)
-Patterson (bust)
-Eason (4th round pick - college win% .653)
-Mills (3rd round pick - college win% .444)
-Johnson (bust)
-Tagovailoa (1st round pick - college win% .917)
-Lawrence (1st round pick - college win% .944)
-Fields (1st round pick - college win% .909)
-Daniels (bust)
-Rattler (TBD - college win% .658 {so far})
-Nix (TBD - college win% .690 {so far})
-Uiagalelei (TBD - college win% .794 {so far})
-Young (1st round pick - college win% .852)

These are all the draft eligible 5* QBs from 2005-2020. This doesn’t include 5* alums like Marcus Vick, Vince Young, Jason Campbell, Casey Clausen etc. from years’ past.

The class of 2021 - 23 feature Ewers, McCarthy, Williams, McCord, however I will say the class of 2022 5* QBs all look to be bust, & the class of 2023 have limited to 0 playing time, so both are TBD (but seriously, that class of ‘22 looks awful)

What’s the point? Are there 5* bust? Sure, no doubt about; & even though this is not an exact science, it does tell a tale:

Since 2005:
-Out of the 42 composite 5* QBs, 2/3 had successful careers, while 1/3 were complete bust.

-Out of the 19 Nat’l Championship programs during this period, 7 were led by 5* QBs. (This is not including chips won by 4* QBs)

3* QBs are underrated often, but there’s an exponentially vast amount of them compared to blue chip QBs, particularly of the 5* variety. I would venture to say for every success story of a 3* we hear, there’s about 25+ failures. In other words, ur evals need to be completely on point w/ a 3*, & history shows that teams who stack blue chip QBs tend to fare much better.

Attempting to reason that it’s better to go after a non blue chip QB over a 5* QB is purely fanatical copium.
All that typing and I never once said we shouldn’t go after 5 star QBs. What I said was, based on the NfL draft more 3 stars ( players overall) get drafted. I also said we will sign a portal QB with Anderson. All true.

We have no choice I'm just not sold on it being the right kid.
I get it. I wasent disputing what you said to be false. All I said is we have to land a portal QB because after Williams, you have Brown who needs to improve his passing overall. We have Anderson. No way we can go to war with that. And if TVD comes back, or doesn’t, you need someone who can step in. I do agree I worry we won’t find the right guy. But that was my guess based on this roster of QBs. And next years schedule is favorable. Can’t have a QB who can’t make plays

Do we really think there’s much difference as HS prospects from a guy like Timothy carpenter( 23rd ranked QB commit to Indiana) and Judd ?

How much stock should we really put in the talent difference from a guy ranked 25th at a position to 50th?

Advertisement
Majority of HS QBs need 2-3 years to develop. HS gets you nowhere close to ready for the College level. Very few of even the elite prospects come in even close to ready. The ones that have been usually have ELITE TALENT surrounding them. Go through the QB rankings from last cycle..which Can’t Miss Fresh is lighting it up..even in their spring games how many looked special?
The point is that if noone is ready to compete now it creates an unbalance. Just like we see this year. We have no one on the roster to challenge TVD or force the coaches hand. If we had a guy the staff thought was ready the chances of throwing an injured starter out there would greatly decrease. The guys we brought in during 2021 and 2022 should be our backup. Instead our only alternative is the 2023 guy that wont be ready until 2025. Who challenges the portal QB?

Don’t be naive. The names that jumped in the Portal aren’t the only names that would have jumped. There was less Portal movement last year because most teams already had their transfer quarterbacks (70% of the Top 20) and OSU and Alabama waited until after spring to start tampering with other teams’ quarterbacks.

I expect us to have a quarterback on our roster next year who has already produced in college. If I’m wrong, bump this.
Understand The Good Doctor GIF by ABC Network

Rotum GIF

Would you say QB is the strength for those top teams?

I would say QB is the weakest position on Alabama, Ohio State and Georgia.
I don’t think QB at UGA is an area of weakness anymore. Not a mobile QB but he’s been pretty **** good for a first year starter.

Beck’s SEC conference stats have been pretty impressive where TVD has been terrible in ACC play:

1699036983146.png

The point is that if noone is ready to compete now it creates an unbalance. Just like we see this year. We have no one on the roster to challenge TVD or force the coaches hand. If we had a guy the staff thought was ready the chances of throwing an injured starter out there would greatly decrease. The guys we brought in during 2021 and 2022 should be our backup. Instead our only alternative is the 2023 guy that wont be ready until 2025. Who challenges the portal QB?
Who challenges the portal QB? The guy we brought in in 23 lol… you know the exact same way you’re saying the guy challenging TVD this year should be a guy from 21 or 22… what you’re saying could have a point if it wasn’t just wrong based on our actual roster and situation. And before this yr we had Garcia competing but he transfered out.

Advertisement
Back