On Judd Anderson

View as article
Advertisement
Yep.

Hartman and Devin Leary were the 1A and 1B QB in the portal this past season. Leary sucks.

Hudson Card was next up. Sucks.

Then Sanders but he was only going to Colorado, so strike him.

Walker Howard is TBD.

Brennan Armstrong sucks.

Tanner Mordecai sucks.

Just a list of suck on top of suck.

It’s amazing to me that this week people have actually argued that Mario’s bunch the box bro style being led by I guess some Devin Leary type with Judd Anderson as the backup is going to be a successful offensive recipe.
Fourteen of the Top 20 teams already have their transfer QB. That’s 70%.

Of the teams that didn’t take a transfer, Alabama and Ohio State are kicking themselves that they waited too long to start tampering. Now they are limited by their homegrown, blue-chip QBs who aren’t very good.

Of the teams that didn’t take a transfer, Alabama and Ohio State are kicking themselves that they waited too long to start tampering. Now they are limited by their homegrown, blue-chip QBs who aren’t very good.
Just for the record. Are you saying that the correct path is to portal in a Quarterback and continue to recruit developmental QBs? I'm not asking you're opinion on Judd, you've stated it previously.

So we are going to outbid Alabama and Ohio State for “Sam Hartman” next year?

Advertisement
So we are going to outbid Alabama and Ohio State for “Sam Hartman” next year?
Don’t be naive. The names that jumped in the Portal aren’t the only names that would have jumped. There was less Portal movement last year because most teams already had their transfer quarterbacks (70% of the Top 20) and OSU and Alabama waited until after spring to start tampering with other teams’ quarterbacks.

I expect us to have a quarterback on our roster next year who has already produced in college. If I’m wrong, bump this.

Don’t be naive. The names that jumped in the Portal aren’t the only names that would have jumped. There was less Portal movement last year because most teams already had their transfer quarterbacks (70% of the Top 20) and OSU and Alabama waited until after spring to start tampering with other teams’ quarterbacks.

I expect us to have a quarterback on our roster next year who has already produced in college. If I’m wrong, bump this.

Normally I wait a few more hours on a Friday and to have someone handing me a set of keys before I listen to someone telling me “bump this”, but I’m smelling what you’re laying down, D-dinero.

There is a 0.0% chance we don’t have a portal QB on the 2024 roster.

Just for the record. Are you saying that the correct path is to portal in a Quarterback and continue to recruit developmental QBs? I'm not asking you're opinion on Judd, you've stated it previously.
Yes, I’ve said that repeatedly. In 2023, the overwhelming majority of the top quarterbacks are transfers. Just look at any top QB list. Seventy percent of the Top 20 teams have transfer QBs. And in the pros, almost all of the top guys are either transfers or athletic sleepers who developed in college.

The big money positions in the NIL era (for high schoolers) should be CB and DT. The stats show that those are hard guys to find in the Portal, and the best players are usually the best prospects. It’s not “cope,” because we are struggling at those positions, too. It’s reality.

Yes, I’ve said that repeatedly. In 2023, the overwhelming majority of the top quarterbacks are transfers. Just look at any top QB list. Seventy percent of the Top 20 teams have transfer QBs. And in the pros, almost all of the top guys are either transfers or athletic sleepers who developed in college.

The big money positions in the NIL era (for high schoolers) should be CB and DT. The stats show that those are hard guys to find in the Portal, and the best players are usually the best prospects. It’s not “cope,” because we are struggling at those positions, too. It’s reality.
That's a dangerous game you are proposing. 3 of the top 4 teams also have home grown blue chip QBs. Any time you place all of your eggs in one basket you are asking for trouble imo. Luckily for everyone time will tell if it works.

Advertisement
That's a dangerous game you are proposing. 3 of the top 4 teams also have home grown blue chip QBs. Any time you place all of your eggs in one basket you are asking for trouble imo. Luckily for everyone time will tell if it works.
Would you say QB is the strength for those top teams?

I would say QB is the weakest position on Alabama, Ohio State and Georgia.

@cway313 needs the high school QB for the rankings. Its not even debateable at this point. Teams are not throwing FR or QBs not ready into the team especially when they have the other pieces in place already. Even Bama still brought in a transfer QB. He is not very good but they still did it. Im sorry but its the position where u have the most choices in the portal because only 1 person can play. Even if we got Air instead of Judd, i would still want a proven portal QB.

The game is just different now and people are not adjusting the mindset to new information.

Would you say QB is the strength for those top teams?

I would say QB is the weakest position on Alabama, Ohio State and Georgia.
I would say that they have good enough talent on defense and at skill positions that it's irrelevant. We aren't supplementing poor QB recruiting with great DTs or CBs. We are starting to bring in better WRs. If we have a Marvin Harrison type or Brock Bowers type then Emory or Judd will fare much better.

Advertisement
@cway313 needs the high school QB for the rankings. Its not even debateable at this point. Teams are not throwing FR or QBs not ready into the team especially when they have the other pieces in place already. Even Bama still brought in a transfer QB. He is not very good but they still did it. Im sorry but its the position where u have the most choices in the portal because only 1 person can play. Even if we got Air instead of Judd, i would still want a proven portal QB.

The game is just different now and people are not adjusting the mindset to new information.
Cway awaits your this is different response.
Screenshot_20231102_214020_Samsung Internet.jpg

I would say that they have good enough talent on defense and at skill positions that it's irrelevant. We aren't supplementing poor QB recruiting with great DTs or CBs. We are starting to bring in better WRs. If we have a Marvin Harrison type or Brock Bowers type then Emory or Judd will fare much better.
So their homegrown QBs aren’t difference-makers for them?

Said differently, how many teams in the Top 20 have a difference-making, homegrown QB? JJ McCarthy? Brady Cook?

@mossmadness @Rellyrell fill me in if I’m missing a name. There are going to be elite homegrown blue-chip QBs, but they are increasingly becoming the exception.

Give me some initials.

Advertisement
QB recruiting hasn't been great with Mario and as it stands right now, we're not in a great spot after TVD goes. With that said, if we can get a guy like Pratt to come in for a year, I'd feel much better about everything. Transfer QB takes over next year to keep things rolling for us, Emory and Jacurri battle it out the year after and then Nickel (very high on him personally) comes for the spot after that. Would give us two years to turn the recruiting around at the spot. Hopefully those two years are 10+ win years and we are a lot more attractive as a destination by that time.
But we better hit a home run with the transfer and he'll need to improve his draft stock here.

Otherwise Mario's reputation as a QB killer will be justifiably cemented and it'll take a long time to overcome that.

So their homegrown QBs aren’t difference-makers for them?

Said differently, how many teams in the Top 20 have a difference-making, homegrown QB? JJ McCarthy? Brady Cook?

@mossmadness @Rellyrell fill me in if I’m missing a name. There are going to be elite homegrown blue-chip QBs, but they are increasingly becoming the exception.
How many teams brought in a transferQB after only recruiting projects in HS? Looking at the same top 20 you want to use. Who else is going the 3* route?
Screenshot_20231103_094820_Samsung Internet.jpg

Let’s look at this to see if this is accurate.

Composite 5* QBs since 2005:
-Perrilloux (Bust)
-Sanchez (1st round pick - college win% .875)
-Tebow (1st round pick - college win% .872)
-Stafford (1st round pick - college win% .794)
-Mustain (bust)
-Clausen (2nd round pick - college win% .432)
-Mallet (3rd round pick - college win% .724)
-Corp (bust)
-Brantley (bust)
-Taylor (6th round pick - college win% .833)
-Newton (1st round pick - college win% 1.000)
-Pryor (3rd round pick - college win% .861)
-Manuel (1st round pick - college win% .781)
-Crist (bust)
-Barkley (4th round pick - college win% .729)
-Boyd (6th round pick - college win% .800)
-Gilbert (6th round pick - college win% .487)
-Shepherd (bust b/c he became a WR at LSU)
-A. Murray (5th round pick - college win% .643)
-Sims (bust)
-Driskel (6th round pick - college win% .696)
-Miller (3rd round pick (WR); QB win% 2011-13: .765)
-Kiel (bust)
-Winston (1st round pick - college win% .964)
-Brown (bust)
-Hackenburg (2nd round pick - college win% .552)
-Allen (Bust)
-Rosen (1st round pick - college win% .531)
-Barnett (bust)
-K. Murray (1st pick - college win% .823)
-Patterson (bust)
-Eason (4th round pick - college win% .653)
-Mills (3rd round pick - college win% .444)
-Johnson (bust)
-Tagovailoa (1st round pick - college win% .917)
-Lawrence (1st round pick - college win% .944)
-Fields (1st round pick - college win% .909)
-Daniels (bust)
-Rattler (TBD - college win% .658 {so far})
-Nix (TBD - college win% .690 {so far})
-Uiagalelei (TBD - college win% .794 {so far})
-Young (1st round pick - college win% .852)

These are all the draft eligible 5* QBs from 2005-2020. This doesn’t include 5* alums like Marcus Vick, Vince Young, Jason Campbell, Casey Clausen etc. from years’ past.

The class of 2021 - 23 feature Ewers, McCarthy, Williams, McCord, however I will say the class of 2022 5* QBs all look to be bust, & the class of 2023 have limited to 0 playing time, so both are TBD (but seriously, that class of ‘22 looks awful)

What’s the point? Are there 5* bust? Sure, no doubt about; & even though this is not an exact science, it does tell a tale:

Since 2005:
-Out of the 42 composite 5* QBs, 2/3 had successful careers, while 1/3 were complete bust.

-Out of the 19 Nat’l Championship programs during this period, 7 were led by 5* QBs. (This is not including chips won by 4* QBs)

3* QBs are underrated often, but there’s an exponentially vast amount of them compared to blue chip QBs, particularly of the 5* variety. I would venture to say for every success story of a 3* we hear, there’s about 25+ failures. In other words, ur evals need to be completely on point w/ a 3*, & history shows that teams who stack blue chip QBs tend to fare much better.

Attempting to reason that it’s better to go after a non blue chip QB over a 5* QB is purely fanatical copium.
The same dudes saying QB stars don’t matter are the same ones that immediately cream themselves the minute a 5 star QB retweet’s our offer.

In the event that Flo is right and Mario flips a high ranked QB they’ll be the first ones strutting and peacocking all over the board and not one of them will give a **** about “budget allocation”….

Advertisement
Back